Animating Skies?

franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi,
Is it possible to animate from one sky preset to another?

Comments

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 2013

Hi Fran,

Yes... and No :)

You may recall from my tute on animating materials that STATES cannot be animated. So if one preset has stars enabled, and the other does not, it's likely that this will cause trouble: either stars will stay on, stars will turn off at the last keyframe, or something weird will happen.

The same goes for the disabling/enabling of the sun, Haze, pretty much anything that has a switch-like control, rather than a value range control.

But so long as you vet both presets and switch on/off states for compatibility, then yes, you can smoothly animate from one preset to the other.

That's not to say you'll get expected results though :)

Post edited by Oroboros on
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Oroboros said:
    Hi Fran,

Yes... and No :)

You may recall from my tute on animating materials that STATES cannot be animated. So if one preset has stars enabled, and the other does not, it's likely that this will cause trouble: either stars will stay on, stars will turn off at the last keyframe, or something weird will happen.

The same goes for the disabling/enabling of the sun, Haze, pretty much anything that has a switch-like control, rather than a value range control.

But so long as you vet both presets and switch on/off states for compatibility, then yes, you can smoothly animate from one preset to the other.

That's not to say you'll get expected results though :)

Oh good, this sounds very hopeful. I must have a go at that for the animation I'm planning. Thanks very much. I really just want to change from one colour of sky and clouds to another totally different looking sky - but it's just colour and maybe amount of cloud cover that I want to change.