I Need Help making a Pearl White Paint Shader & More

Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have a vehicle that I think would look awesome in a Pearl White Paint, Once again I’m totally clueless on how to set it up the shader tree. (I hope lightning isn’t a key to the look.)

(For the General Idea…)

http://www.seriouswheels.com/1930-1939/1934-Packard-Pearl-White.htm

Now for the More Part, I hope someone can walk me through the process of doing automotive paint/complex shader from the very beginning to the final render. I hope this way I can stop asking how do you do this?

Thanks,

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Turk_WLF said:
    I have a vehicle that I think would look awesome in a Pearl White Paint, Once again I’m totally clueless on how to set it up the shader tree. (I hope lightning isn’t a key to the look.)

(For the General Idea…)

http://www.seriouswheels.com/1930-1939/1934-Packard-Pearl-White.htm

Now for the More Part, I hope someone can walk me through the process of doing automotive paint/complex shader from the very beginning to the final render. I hope this way I can stop asking how do you do this?

Thanks,

I'm working on something, but I want to make sure it works and looks how I want it to look. Don't want to steer you wrong.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Here is an excellent way to obtain a serious collection of shaders made by a real pro, and then you can take them apart and see how they're made... just as a great solution that I've used - not trying to force buying something, or anything. Just that Ringo Monfort is a true expert shader creator. For paint and such, check towards the bottom of the page. Again, not trying to push. I learn a ton from dissecting Ringo's (and other folk's) shaders. Great learning aid. Similarly, I bought Tim Payne's (and other folk's) Skies. Not only did I get a great collection of skies and flares and such to add to my browser, but I also have great lessons to learn from! :)

dp-ultimate-carrara-bundle-large.jpg
    240 x 312 - 29K
    edited December 2013

The pearl white, is that a pearlescent or opalescent color with shifting colored highlights depending on the viewing angle? Or is it a glossy solid white? I ask, because sometimes those subtleties don't show up well in photos. Especially with lighter colored paint.

The shader I created, that anybody is welcome to pick apart, is my attempt at a pearlescent or opalescent shader. I've set up SSS in the shader, but have it turned off by default. To turn it on, just enable the checkbox.

The shader is probably a bit more complex than it needs to be, but I hadn't looked at the reference images that were linked to. ;-)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7370483/Pearl-copy.cbr

Shader_image_sample.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 380K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 2013

I saw an article on how to make car paints in maya ( I think?)
    It used subsurface scattering to create the 2nd highlight created by the pearlescence or metallic the paint, while still keeping the normal highlight and shininess.

Pearl paint is available in several colors as well as multicolor (opalescent). It is normally added in one or more of the clear topcoats over any base color.

I messed around with it a bit, but didn't want to make a full scene to test it correctly. It looked fine in the little shader preview window, but the scene could easily change the look.

evilproducer is on the right track.

EDIT: I don't remember how I did the dragonfly eyelids on my avatar....guess I'll have to see if I can find the file.

Post edited by McGuiver on
    edited December 1969

Here's the Dragonfly Eyelid shader.
    It was done with the Shoestring Shaders plugin.

Dragonshader.jpg
    798 x 758 - 93K
    edited December 1969

Here's a pearl shader....must have "Shoestring Shaders" to produce this one.

untitled.JPG
    811 x 627 - 84K
  • Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177
    edited December 1969

McGuiver said:

Sadly at this time I don't own the "Shoestring Shaders" plug-in and I need to have a rendering done by Friday to surprise a friend.

evilproducer, May I ask where you got the car from?... it looks really nice in the rendering with the Pearl Shader.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Here is a quicky from me.

Using a multi channel mixer, with a fractal noise as a blender.

For a more distinct colour variation one can change the contrast value in the fractal noise mixer.
    In this I use the same fractal noise in all the channels that uses fractal noise.

Untitled-2.jpg
    1200 x 733 - 386K
    Doc2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 318K
    edited December 1969

Turk_WLF said:
    McGuiver said:

Sadly at this time I don't own the "Shoestring Shaders" plug-in and I need to have a rendering done by Friday to surprise a friend.

evilproducer, May I ask where you got the car from?... it looks really nice in the rendering with the Pearl Shader.

Foberghini or something. Look for it on Share CG. I don't have the link.

When it loads, Carrara will pop up the window about the pose exceeding the constraints, and it you want the constraints on or off. Turn them off or the model won't load correctly.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Here is a quicky from me.

Using a multi channel mixer, with a fractal noise as a blender.

For a more distinct colour variation one can change the contrast value in the fractal noise mixer.
    In this I use the same fractal noise in all the channels that uses fractal noise.

Your shader looks a lot like mine, except I also added an extremely muted color gradient in the reflection channel and the translucency channel as well.

To the point about SSS, I agree that it will help. In fact, the shader I posted on Dropbox above has the SSS channel set up, just not enabled.

edited December 1969

Thank you for all of the help....

Here's a quick rendering of the Foberghini and my project both in Evilproducer's Pearl White Shader.

Horizon_Pearl_White.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 39K
    edited December 1969

Turk_WLF said:
    Thank you for all of the help....

Here's a quick rendering of the Foberghini and my project both in Evilproducer's Pearl White Shader.

Looks good!

edited December 1969

Looks great to me... do you like it? BTW, isn't that Foberghini an excellent model? I love it. And it's free! ;)
    I still haven't used it - but I do have it installed and ready to go :)

Great job on the shader ep!

edited December 1969

Looks great to me... do you like it? BTW, isn't that Foberghini an excellent model? I love it. And it's free! ;)
    I still haven't used it - but I do have it installed and ready to go :)

Great job on the shader ep!

Dartanbeck,

I haven't had the Foberghini just for a few seconds when I did the rendering, however I'll be checking her out next week.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

McGuiver said:

Is there a shoestring for 8.5?

edited December 2013

Here's a render using the Pearl shader and SSS on the Benz. It's ELELE's Benzo model on ShareCG. Just a warning though, it's very high poly and takes forever and a day to load. ;-)

Benz.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 445K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Nice freaking model, though... that looks sweet!

edited December 1969

Have you ever noticed how incredibly complex we can get with shaders? Just milling around in the Texture room, pondering over all of the variations that can be applied to all of those channels. And then there's even more, because we can blend as many of these multi or basic shaders as we want... or so it seems. I doubt that I'll ever claim to be a Carrara shaders expert, even though I've explored pretty heavily into many of what's available. Now with these plugins adding immensely to what can be done... it's breathtakingly cool! I love it!

And yet there are still more DCG I want to try. Just amazing stuff!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

With people mentioning Maya and extra plugins for Carrara and such...I just thought that I'd mention LightWave's nodal shaders come with a "carpaint" material. No, I don't know how to use it to it's best advantage...I suck at shading in both Carrara and LightWave! :)

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    With people mentioning Maya and extra plugins for Carrara and such...I just thought that I'd mention LightWave's nodal shaders come with a "carpaint" material. No, I don't know how to use it to it's best advantage...I suck at shading in both Carrara and LightWave! :)

The software is just a tool at the service of the artist. The bigger question is, if Lightwave is the tool, does that make the artist one as well? ;-P ;-)

edited December 1969

The software is just a tool at the service of the artist. The bigger question is, if Lightwave is the tool, does that make the artist one as well? ;-P ;-)

It's a good thing that I like you EP! :coolgrin:

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

It's a good thing that I like you EP! :coolgrin:

Ya' know I'm just bustin' your balls, bro'! Feel free to mock me as well!

edited December 1969

I would; but in your case, they haven't dropped yet. :coolcheese: We had better enter détente right now before the ire of the mods is wrought upon us. :lol:

Just to keep us on-topic here; I went looking for the "car paint" information in the LightWave docs. Didn't find what I was after, so I might have screengrab it from the server.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

I would; but in your case, they haven't dropped yet. :coolcheese:

OH SNAAAP! :wow:

Nicely played my friend! I am left smoldering from the burn. ;-)

Just watch yourself hoss, you're going to go down like Andy Dick on- well, just about anything actually... . :-P

• artd3Dartd3D Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

Here is a WIP of a 1991 Mitsubish 3000 GT VR4 which I owned. I scanned in the color called Glacier White Pearl from the original brochure. I have a jpeg of the color if it will help.

Mitsubishi_3000GT.jpg
    1069 x 780 - 125K