Armored Sphere - Wings 3D Tutorial

Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
edited December 2013 in Bryce Discussion

As promised, here's the tutorial for the armored sphere in Wings 3D:

Armored Sphere in Wings 3D

Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy!

Art

ArmoredSphere.jpg
800 x 800 - 417K
Post edited by Fencepost52 on

Comments

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

just some variations

ffghghgghj.png
    1045 x 203 - 152K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,378
    edited December 1969

Thanks Fencepost for the tutorial

Nice variations user.operator

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@fencepost: Another nice tutorial. Have to give it a try.

@user.operater: Your version of the object are real nice.

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 2013

this is just a question for anyone who might know, but does hexagon have a line hardness option to lock lines in place like in the tutorial? I can't say how many times a feature like that would have come in handy.

Post edited by useroperator on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

New shapes look great, user! Keep experimenting.

I don't have Hexagon, although I may purchase it to learn a new program, so I can't answer your question directly, but here's something to try: With the edges selected, use the bevel tool and either set your bevel to zero or something very close to it. This can be done in Wings too and what it does it places the edges so close together, they would hold the shape in place. Let me know how that works out.

Guss and Mermaid: You're welcome! Looking forward to seeing your renders!

edited December 1969

Here’s mine –Hdri using a custom sky, Rpp 64 soft shadows and TA

Hopefully I will experiment with this,using different values for the sections and slices and maybe different shapes. I got a bit distracted by Horo’s render and spent the rest of yesterday trying that out.

Looking forward to the next tutorial;)

armouredshpere1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 21K
  • DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here is my attempt at the armored ball, although with an experimental twist.

Shielded_Balls.jpg
    1050 x 700 - 808K
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure what happened to my post from earlier today, but it's gone. I commented and told you both that I really like the renders and the experiments. They look really nice. I appreciate you trying out the tutorial and sharing your results.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

New shapes look great, user! Keep experimenting.

I don't have Hexagon, although I may purchase it to learn a new program, so I can't answer your question directly, but here's something to try: With the edges selected, use the bevel tool and either set your bevel to zero or something very close to it. This can be done in Wings too and what it does it places the edges so close together, they would hold the shape in place. Let me know how that works out.

Guss and Mermaid: You're welcome! Looking forward to seeing your renders!

This one?

edited December 2013

No, it was addressed to mermaid/dangerlad. I read the posts after I hit the send button, but they're gone. Thank you for checking though. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Ah it looks as though you hit one of the dreaded forum glitches, Sometimes you may think you have posted, but it doesn't actually take
    Can't wait till we get the new improved forum software, maybe those will then be a thing of the past.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Ah it looks as though you hit one of the dreaded forum glitches, Sometimes you may think you have posted, but it doesn't actually take
    Can't wait till we get the new improved forum software, maybe those will then be a thing of the past.

Actually, I don't think we can blame this one on the forum. I responded to you immediately after you made your last post and my work computer (I wasn't posting during work hours, BTW! LOL) showed the post had been uploaded. When I checked a little while later, it wasn't here. I'm guessing I need to give the browser a good boot and it'll work like a charm. Thanks for checking. If it happens again, I'll let you know.

edited December 2013

I've been known to THINK I hit the submit button only to find out I didn't. Sometimes part of me goes to sleep while the rest whistles merrily along. I've also been known not to spell correctly, too. Darn dictionary.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,526
    edited December 1969

I've been fooled up by this forum software enough that - as a rule - I write my comments in a text editor and copy it into the post field. If it goes awry, I don't have to write everything again (most of which I forgot meanwhile anyway).

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I've been fooled up by this forum software enough that - as a rule - I write my comments in a text editor and copy it into the post field. If it goes awry, I don't have to write everything again (most of which I forgot meanwhile anyway).

I do the same ;)

edited December 1969

Dangerlad said:
    Here is my attempt at the armored ball, although with an experimental twist.

Wow Dangerlad - now that's what I call a cool, awesome experimental twist. How did you do that?

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Mermaid010 - I basically followed Fencepost52's instructions but before I started I manually rotated the horizontal rings of the sphere by increasing increments of 15 degrees. Th top most and bottom most rings where rotated 15 degrees. The next pair of rings were rotated 30 degrees and so on. The equator ring was rotated 90 degrees. To do the rotation I selected an edge in the ring I wanted to affect, looped it and then selected identical rings (so click on edge, "L", "I"). Then right click to call up menu, select ".Rotate.", select ".Y.", and rotate to the degree you want or manually type it in. Repeat as needed.

In my render, the left most is the resultant object fron my changes and Fencepost's instructions. For the other three, before I did my rotation trick I selected slices and gave the different materials so I could have different materials in the final render. Continuing from left to right, the next shape I smoothed with Doo Sabin Subdivision, the third shape is the regular smoothing, and the final shape is also regular smooth but I before I started the steps I did a loop cut at the equator and rotate one entire half 15 degrees. That gave me the offset pattern of the rightmost object.

I hope that helps.

edited December 1969

Dangerlad said:
    @Mermaid010 - I basically followed Fencepost52's instructions but before I started I manually rotated the horizontal rings of the sphere by increasing increments of 15 degrees. Th top most and bottom most rings where rotated 15 degrees. The next pair of rings were rotated 30 degrees and so on. The equator ring was rotated 90 degrees. To do the rotation I selected an edge in the ring I wanted to affect, looped it and then selected identical rings (so click on edge, "L", "I"). Then right click to call up menu, select ".Rotate.", select ".Y.", and rotate to the degree you want or manually type it in. Repeat as needed.

In my render, the left most is the resultant object fron my changes and Fencepost's instructions. For the other three, before I did my rotation trick I selected slices and gave the different materials so I could have different materials in the final render. Continuing from left to right, the next shape I smoothed with Doo Sabin Subdivision, the third shape is the regular smoothing, and the final shape is also regular smooth but I before I started the steps I did a loop cut at the equator and rotate one entire half 15 degrees. That gave me the offset pattern of the rightmost object.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Dangerlad for the info, much appreciated. :-)

edited December 1969

Finally took the time to try fencepost's tutorial. I tried rendering the scenes using Obscure lighting, but using TA blotted out the slits on the spheres. Plus, it gave the scenes a look I didn't like.

Segmented_Armor_Ball_7.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Segmented_Armor_Ball_5.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Segmented_Armor_Ball_4.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    edited December 2013

Guss- cool renders

These two were done using Dangerlad’s twist, same setup, different materials.

Thanks Dangerlad and Fencepost for the tutorials. :-)

amourednew2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 24K
    amourednew1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 24K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thank you. You've got nice results following Dangerlad:s method.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,526
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - stretch them up and they could go as soft ice. :-)

edited December 1969

Guss - thanks

Horo -Will try to make soft ice. Thanks for the suggestion

edited December 1969

Nice work, mermaid! Thanks for taking it for a spin! :D

edited December 1969

This one ain't your fencepost tutorial one, but it turned out nice.

Ribbed_Sphere_3.png
    570 x 570 - 643K
    edited December 2013

Somehow, Guss, I missed your first renders. Sorry for not commenting. They all look very nice! Great work!

edited December 1969

No sweat, fencepost, and thanks.