Help with Carrara 8 Pro Tech Spex

indijo27-2347055indijo27-2347055 Posts: 9
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

In the System Requirements for Carrara 8 Pro, at this daz3d site, I do not see any Windows XP listed, only Windows 7, 8, and Vista.

When i did a general search for the same product elsewhere, and checked the system requirements listed there, Windows XP was included. I realize Windows XP is being slowly but surely retired, but I am still using it and am not prepared at this time to make an “upgrade” to another system.

So, what is it with the different information for the same software at different online stores?

Does Carrara 8 Pro work with Windows XP or not?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

It's kind of the same on the Mac side of things depending on the chip architecture, OS and 32 bit or 64 bit version of Carrara.

This is only a guess, so don't take it as gospel, okay?

I think it's because there is a 64 bit and a 32 bit version of Carrara. If you buy Carrara Pro, you get the 64 bit and the 32 bit version. The 64 bit version will not work in XP, but the 32 bit version probably will. The standard version is only 32 bit if I recall correctly.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Right. Standard doesn't include the 64 bit option. But do you think that Pro 64 would work on a WinXP 64 system?

edited December 1969

No idea. I know C8.1 worked on my PPC, which is a dead architecture (as far as Macs are concerned).

I'm trying to dig a little further, but either my connection is slow, or DAZ is.

The OP could try and contact sales or support to see if it will work with the 32 bit version.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Strictly guessing here...but I think it will work.

I like the suggestion of opening a ticket with DAZ and getting The Straight Dope from them though. Better safe than sorry.

Windows XP 64-bit was released just at the point where "everybody" was going to 64-bit hardware but MSFT still had enough customers with 32-bit chips that they couldn't abandon it entirely. Today, you would be hard-pressed to find 32-bit apps.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

AS I had it explained to me Carrara 8.5 is the 32 bit version and 8.5 pro is the 64 bit version, as shown in your product library

So when you pruchase 8.5 pro you actually get both versions.

However it is actually the serial number which turns on the Pro features. SO if you install the 32bit Carrara version and then use the Serial number which says Carrara 8.5 pro then you should have a working 32 bit version of Carrara 8.5 pro

• indijo27-2347055indijo27-2347055 Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Okay, thanks for the help. My system uses 32 so it'll probly work. But I'll try support to be sure.

It just occurred to me that I might be able to get a trial version of Carrara 8.5 so that might be the way to go. If I can't use 8.5 pro, however, before i make a decision on this, I'm gonna have to research the difference between 8.5 and 8.5 pro.

edited December 1969

There's a recent thread here about this, with a handy link to a comparison chart:

http://www.daz3d.com/products/carrara/carrara-tech-specs/

I don't think that there is a trial version of C8.5 at the moment, but DAZ does have a 30 day returns policy.

Personally, if you have the filthy lucre, I would go for the Pro version.

• indijo27-2347055indijo27-2347055 Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

I'll check out the thread with the comparison chart, thanx.

Unfortunately, I don't have the filthy lucre at this time. I will, however hopefully, have the credit in 2 or 3 months. That gives me plenty of time to check everything out.

I'm interested in Carrara 8 because it looks like the best substitute for 3dsmax, which I was working with for a couple of years before it became too expensive. I have Poser 7, Hexagon, and just recently downloaded Daz Studio 4.6. Hexagon is fine for building most everything I need but it doesn't animate objects. I need to animate objects/models in 3d scenes and from what i have read about Carrara 8, it includes this function, along with everything Hexagon has and more.

Furthermore, in comparison to 3dsmax, the price is much more affordable.

edited December 1969

Plus, from what I've read, Hexagon and Carrara play nice together.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Yes but Hexagon often crashes !

edited December 1969

Yes but Hexagon often crashes !

Ah yes! You have a point (from what I've read), but I didn't say Hexagon plays nice by itself! ;-)