Stranger Things Composers Break Down the Show's Music

Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
edited July 2019 in Carrara Discussion

"Stranger Things" is quite the hit TV series, 8.9 at IMDB.  The music is a big part, and these two tell how they go about it.  I have a few old analog synths, but these guys have a boatload of analog gear.  I especially like the discussion at about 7:15, where they used microtonality (the sounds between the piano keys) for eerie effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIrBQim8dzk

Post edited by Steve K on

Comments

• Jan_ScrapperJan_Scrapper Posts: 351

Thank you so much for sharing!!  I love this show and have not seen this current season.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited July 2019

Thank you so much for sharing!!  I love this show and have not seen this current season.

You're welcome.  I am just finishing the second season.  One interesting thing to me is the show occasionally comes across as a parody.  E.g. immediately after a particularly harrowing escape (trying to avoid a spoiler), we get two characters calmly saying "Hey, Bob."  "Hey, Jim".   Reminds me a little of "The Cabin In the Woods"  (2011), which I like a lot ... three stars out of four from Ebert:  " ... it's exciting because it ventures so far off the map. One imagines the filmmakers chortling with glee as they devise first one bizarre development and then another in a free-for-all for their imaginations."   Yeah, sounds like "Stranger Things".

laugh

Post edited by Steve K on