Genesis clapping animation

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I need to make a simple clapping animation for some Genesis figures in Carrara.

I tried modifying a clapping aniblock in DAZ Studio and got it looking how I wanted, but it never transfers over perfectly in Carrara - and there's enough discrepancy that all the detailed tweaking in DAZ becomes worthless and the animation unusable.

Are there any tricks in getting Genesis aniblocks to transfer correctly?

The lip synching seems to work fine. And for the most part the motions too - but there always seems to be some changes that require me to then spend a bunch of time retweaking in Carrara.

In terms of setting things up directly in Carrara, I know I ran into all sorts of problems when I tried using IK and Genesis several versions ago. Is that all worked out now? And if so, is that the best way to go for this? I'm thinking I just need to make a good clap pose with the hands properly opposed and then work backwards from there,

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I need to make a simple clapping animation for some Genesis figures in Carrara.

I tried modifying a clapping aniblock in DAZ Studio and got it looking how I wanted, but it never transfers over perfectly in Carrara - and there's enough discrepancy that all the detailed tweaking in DAZ becomes worthless and the animation unusable.

Are there any tricks in getting Genesis aniblocks to transfer correctly?

The lip synching seems to work fine. And for the most part the motions too - but there always seems to be some changes that require me to then spend a bunch of time retweaking in Carrara.

In terms of setting things up directly in Carrara, I know I ran into all sorts of problems when I tried using IK and Genesis several versions ago. Is that all worked out now? And if so, is that the best way to go for this? I'm thinking I just need to make a good clap pose with the hands properly opposed and then work backwards from there,

Thanks for any suggestions.

Try the pose, and make one open at the point in the timeline you wish the clapping to stop. Change the tweener to oscillate and adjust the number of oscillations to suit. I would recommend the spline option as well.

If that's not working, a clap is very short, so you should be able to get away with a detailed clap cycle in a second or so. You can then convert it to an NLA track and loop it, or save it and use it on multiple characters. To add variation, you could shorten and lengthen the time of the clip. Note that the clips will only work on figures with the same rig. V4 and A4 (and it's other variants) should work for the same clip, but a V4 created clip will not work correctly on an A3 or a G1 or G2 figure.

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I went ahead and created one manually as you described in the second part of your suggestions.

I was mostly wondering if there's anything that needs to be tweaked so that Aniblocks transfer smoothly from Daz to Carrara - didn't know if it mattered if you use the base genesis, or male or female or some other subtlety that was messing me up.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Can't help with the transfer of Aniblocks or other animations from Carrara to DAZ Studio or Genesis. I don't have C8.5, and I do have Studio, but open it once a year to see if it still works. ;-)

I think Fenric has a BVH exporter for Carrara, that can get animation data to Studio in a .bvh file.