Freeze Mesh to Boned Pose

DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Is there a way to remove a skeleton and retain the pose of the vertex object rather than having it revert back to its original shape?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

dbuchter said:
    Is there a way to remove a skeleton and retain the pose of the vertex object rather than having it revert back to its original shape?

You may need to export as a .obj. One of the options is to save the skinning and morphs. You will need that enabled. Then re-import the object file.

I don't know why you need the rig removed, but if you do remove it, conforming clothes won't work.

If you just want to lock the figure in position, you could maybe disable the Animate box in the figure's General tab. You could also pose the figure, select the hip, go to the Animate menu, select Set IK and Constraints, then when the dialogue opens, set it to locked or none. Make sure to allow the change to the children as well.

There are a couple more ways that I think may work to lock the figure.

• DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Oh awesome, I didm't even think of that. It is actually a character that I modeled and I want to duplicate it many times for a scene... as you probably know, you cannot duplicate a rigged character.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 2013

dbuchter said:
    Oh awesome, I didm't even think of that. It is actually a character that I modeled and I want to duplicate it many times for a scene... as you probably know, you cannot duplicate a rigged character.

Fenric has a plugin that allows you to duplicate rigged figures.

If you don't want a plugin, there is either the standard replicator, or the surface replicator. Both will replicate rigged figures.
    Here's an example. Two storm troopers posed differently, replicated 100 times.

ATAT-Attack-DOF03.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 867K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Replicators are a good alternative, but in my case I would have to create real instances because I need to place the characters in particular positions that the alignment features in replication couldn't match. But, instances is an easier option that the exporting as .objs. Since my characters are pretty low poly, that's a good option for me... probably not as good for someone creating real instances of Genesis models.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

It is easy, you record your character in your Carrara library then you import it in your scene.
    All is exactly like the original, pose and animation included.