Do I need to uninstall Carrara 8 and 8.5 Beta...

MiloMilo Posts: 511
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Does the Carrara 8 or 8.5 beta interfere with the real Carrara 8.5?

So I installed Carrara 8.5 and finally have had time to start using it. I decided to install plug ins first, then wanted to redo the browser bar like I had previous installations. I start 8.5 and notice the browser already follows the video I had followed before. basicly Scene had one folder that contained the scene folder in the program directory. However instead of being the one in 8.5, it appears to be the one in carrara 8. I created a test folder in Carrara 8\scenes and it showed up in Carrara 8.5, I quit and then start 8.5 Beta and its there also, I quit and Start Carrara 8 it was in there also.

So being confused I can go ahead and uninstall the other two. However Due to the mess and not being able to find in the DIM installer just carrara content I was leaving the others installed till I made sure I had everything installed, setup and connected as before. If I must I will copy the contents out and just uninstall. SHould I start over with 8.5 as well?

Thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I uninstalled the beta, but I have 8 and 8.5 running on my machine with no issues. They have separate directories and each sticks to its own.

ncamp

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Inevitably, there turns out to be some bug that is introduced in the latest version.... 8.5 has NOT received an update since it was launched, and the bug tracker is under repairs so we are stalled for a while, if not permanently (until C9)....

I always try to keep the last version of Carrara on my system for this reason. 8.5 was specifically made to read 8's preferences (an early beta actually overwrote it, but now they play nice).

If you have the HDD space you might consider keeping the old version around for a while, just in case.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Inevitably, there turns out to be some bug that is introduced in the latest version.... 8.5 has NOT received an update since it was launched, and the bug tracker is under repairs so we are stalled for a while, if not permanently (until C9)....

I always try to keep the last version of Carrara on my system for this reason. 8.5 was specifically made to read 8's preferences (an early beta actually overwrote it, but now they play nice).

If you have the HDD space you might consider keeping the old version around for a while, just in case.

This is where I get confused. I can understand that in a way. But does that mean all the content needs to be installed into 8 or really move all the prefix/scenes/data out of the 8.5 and 8 into a neutral location?

This is the Video I was following.http://carraracafe.com/organizing-your-browser/ I kept the scene data, presets, scene in the carrara and had a directory of my own of presets/scenes for things i found on the net or created. I am not sure how to move the data part to somewhere else and keeping it connected to carrara.

I have thought its a pain with each iteration to try to find every carrara installer and re-install every product. Though some like require data like leaves to into a specific place. I don't want to start a controversy or this is better then that. I would like to move forward from here, and it makes sense to keep the previous version around just as you were saying Holly there is a slight unanticipated hiccup.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Most of the required data, such as leaves and the scene wizards don't seem to take up much space for me. When I transitioned to C7 I kept my previous version of Carrara and made duplicates of some of the data that went in the application bundle.

From what I have read, the native content for C8.5 is the same as it was for C8. I would think that you could safely make duplicates of most of the data and copy it to your C8.5 application bundle. The exceptions being plugins and extensions.

edited December 1969

Most of the required data, such as leaves and the scene wizards don't seem to take up much space for me. When I transitioned to C7 I kept my previous version of Carrara and made duplicates of some of the data that went in the application bundle.

From what I have read, the native content for C8.5 is the same as it was for C8. I would think that you could safely make duplicates of most of the data and copy it to your C8.5 application bundle. The exceptions being plugins and extensions.

Makes sense. I was concerned of overwriting something that was newer. So does C8.5 make a copy of C8's preference/file locations and if I update them in C8.5 it should leave C8's setup alone. I will have to try this.

edited December 1969

Seems about 3 gigs worth of installed things in my various scene/data/prefix/readme directories... Ouch.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Ouch is right! I'll have to check my application bundle to see what's internalized and what's not.

edited December 1969

I will review the video again and see if its possible to put all these installed outside the Carrara path without breaking things LOL

For me
    Data 40 megs
    Extensions 118 megs
    Presets 1.75 gigs
    Scenes 1.32 gigs

Being I am falling asleep I will have to dig into it tomorrow more.

edited December 1969

Holly, Evil and anyone else do you reinstall every Carrara item for each version. Do you install everything (except the plugins) to another location and then setup the browser? Any downsides? Now that I am getting a fair number of Carrara products (Some of which don't have Carrara in the name), I am seeing whats a better way of managing this as it grows, especially with DIM

According to the Video even leaves can be moved now. I need to load a product with leaves and try it. The Install Manager would have to be manually manipulated as it allows more than one Carrara installation place but only installs to one of them and doesn't ask. Ideally it would allow this 'separate' library so to speak, would make updating so much cleaner I would imagine. I mean we could install them in the home spot then move them to the external (esp if you moved everything) but then updating with DIM might become an issue.

I need to play with this more and see if I 'install' all the items to the external place except the plugins if it will work. It will mean remembering to set it and remove the other each time you want ot install something that is in the other spot.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Here's the thing,
    if you install to a neutral folder, you may then have the ease of being able to easily copy/drag that folder's contents to each of your Carrara installation directories. But without installing, eventually, into the installation directory, you'll loose the ability to use the items fully. Meaning that you might be able to access the leaf folder, but those leaves wouldn't be available to your Carrara plant editor, and many more, similar headaches.

Now that DIM works well for Carrara content, DIM can simply the whole works by simply going into preferences (of the DIM) and loading all of your Carrara installation directory locations in the Applications tab. What this does is to then install all of your Carrara products to all Carrara versions on your machine. Since I've not tried uninstalling content that has been installed in this way, I am unaware of how fluid it would be to uninstall from one Carrara version without uninstalling from the others. Perhaps you can - like I said - I've not tried it.

Before I used DIM, I had a folder on my desktop called "Carrara TEMP", which is where I installed all of my Carrara products to. Then I would Right-Click/Drag the contents of that folder to each Carrara directory. Not only is it faster, but it gives me a nice way to identify everything that comes with each product - so I'm not missing something that I would be otherwise unaware of its existence. Once I have that set of items installed to both Carraras, and added the right folders into the browser, I delete the contents of Carrara TEMP. Now I just use DIM. But then if I have any questions of what was installed, I'll download the product again, from my account at the store, and open it up for a look at what's inside.

This sort of thing has greatly enhanced my understanding of how things get installed into Carrara. So I have since created my own methods of consolidating add on products into uniform folders inside Carrara. So instead of going in and "Add Folder" every time I get something new, I simply go to the folder that must be added, and drag it into the folder I've already added to my browser. Of course, you only want to do this if you're confident of what can be moved and what cannot - like leaves, for example. But even leaves may be moved to a folder that already exists so long as it remains within the DATA folder, where it belongs. My EnvironKit - Woodlands uses this by using the same folder for Basic Plants that comes with Native Content. That's where I got the idea. Any time I can avoid making my customers have to add a new folder to their browser, without hiding stuff where it doesn't belong, I use it.

edited December 2013

Thanks for the Post DartenBeck.

This is me rambling a bit. I can also see how doing it clean for each one could be advantageous.

I was able to use leaves outside of the Carrara\data\leaves program directory install and have it work in Carrara, as well as plants, scenes. I couldn't see how to do strokes however.

After watching the video and how he referenced the programmers changing things and even moving things out of Data I did a little experiment. I found that if you add into Object Leaves folder with a leaves designation it shows up in the plant editor under leaves. If you add a Plant folder it shows up under the preset load as well.

Seems kinda crazy to have everything so tied directly to an installed version and then have to re-install everything when you have a new version. I say that because of the size of the install. I think I was at 3 gigs and thats not everything Carrara specific. The other is that DIM doesn't have any way of finding just Carrara content to do re-installs with.

I hope this isn't coming across as complaining. I like the idea of DIM and love updates. I would like DIM for non-daz products :D But just trying to make this a bit simpler and making more sense in the grand picture. I mean how much screaming would there be if ever new version of daz you had to reinstall every poser/daz product.

Post edited by Milo on