Multiple Versions of Daz Studio

minxdragonminxdragon Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I'm sure I can do this, I'm sure I've seen posts on it but I can't find them for love nor money.
I would like to install a second copy of DS4 on my computer. one that doesn't share the same content directory so it only has the default content. this shouldn't be hard, it keeps threatening to uninstall my existing copy. I've tried installing a 32 bit version (I'm running the 64) and it still isn't working.

does anyone have any tips? I'm on a mac if that helps.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,001
    edited December 1969

You can't do that. What you can do is use the Content Directory Manager (Edit>Preferences>Content Library, or Content Library pane option menu) to create two sets of content libraries and to switch between them as you need. Get the folders set as you want, open the Manage dialogue, right-click on Current and select Copy Content Set, give it a name and Accept. The get the directories in the other state you want and again open the dialogue and copy the current set. Now you can switch between the content directory sets by going to the manager and clicking the radio button next to the set you want to use.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

It's definitely possible to have both DS4 32 and DS4 64 installed and working in parallel, because I have that. It isn't generally possible to have two copies of the same version because the Windows registry only provides for one copy - installing a second copy would overwrite the registry entries of the first. OTOH it might be possible to install two identical copies if you install them to separate user accounts and limit them to the individual user - I haven't tried this, but it's consistent with my understanding of the registry (though that's not great).

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You can have 32-bit and 64-bit both installed, but they share settings, so they see the same content folders. You need to do as Richard said, create different content sets to switch between.

• minxdragonminxdragon Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks for that, I'm ok with having only the one install and multiple directories (I already have two set up so that's not a worry :)) but is there a way to just install the base content? or is there a list somewhere of what content comes with DS4? I need a virgin content directory with just the included content (not my overblown runtime!) it's for a tutorial series and I don't want to add confusion. just what it comes with.

hmm.. perhaps if I install on another machine then copy that runtime over. it seems like a very roundabout way to get a clean content directory, does anyone have any better ideas?

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited August 2015

Has anyone come up with a solution for this that doesn't involve installing an older version of DS? I have an installer for the appropriate version (4.0.3.47) but it's 64bit which is the same as my current install. It says above that you can't install two versions of DS (of the same bit value) but I thought I had read quite recently that you can if you change the program files folder destination (which I believe is what is done with betas). Is this so and are there problematic consequences in doing this (e.g. overwriting settings)? I have a number of scenes in .daz format that contain character builds that I would like to work with again.

Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,041
    edited August 2015

I thought I had read quite recently that you can if you change the program files folder destination (which I believe is what is done with betas).

Betas don't just change the installation folder, they also change the registry keys used, temp folders, and so on, so that the beta doesn't share any settings with the production version. You can't do that yourself when installing a second version of DS.

What's the problem with using those .daz scenes in your current DS version?

Post edited by Leana on
  • Actually, I posted on the wrong thread. The problem I'm referring to is explained in this thread (DS 4.6 can't open DS 4.0 scenes with genesis). Reinstalling a pre-4.6 versions that uses .duf seems to be the only answer (then you resave the .daz scene as .duf). Actually, that version I quoted uses .daz files so it wouln't be useful anyway.