Conecting Joints

EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello!

Is it possible to connect joints of f bone structure?
I like to create an object with a circular skeleton.

Thanks in advance,

Eddy

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

If I am understanding you right, this would be like having an object parented to another object which was parented to the first object, creating a logic loop, so no, I don't think this is possible.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

No, just one object. Like a wheel or torus.

I begin at one certain poit with the first bone joint and add mor bones. I like to connect the last bone to the first one, or just the half way with another bone joint from the other side.

edited December 1969

Yes, but bones work in a hierarchy, so bones are parented to other bones. What you are asking is for a child bone to be the parent of a bone further up the hierarchy, or for one bone to have two parents, neither of which is possible.

Can I ask what you would use it for? If we understood that, maybe there is another way to achieve the same effect? For example, you could have the same target helper object as the target object for two different IK chains of bones?

edited December 2013

Sure:

I'm working with this: https://www.daz3d.com/ranger-props-for-genesis-2-female-s/
    But the bow has no ability to be conformed for certain poses, so I put a skeleton on this, implanted an IK-Chain.
    My first problem was, hos to pull the string with just one joint, but I came over it by selecting the joints close to the fingers I had.

In normal pose, the IK works fine, but posed to a character, the IK dos not work well, so I pose just by bending the joints manually.

I'm just running a render of this. I will upload this evening (European Time).

But I'm thankful for your infos, Phil.

Post edited by EddyMI3D on
    edited December 1969

Already finished, still needs some fixing.

Rituals_001_001.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 417K
    edited December 1969

It strikes me that the easiest way to achieve what you want would be not to use bones but to create a morph of the whole bow (if one isn't there anyway) that positions the bow and string in a fully drawn position. You can then create all the interim positions by simply moving the slider for the morph - I just did a very quick test model and it seems to move reasonably realistically. If you wanted to animate it, you could even use an oscillate tweener to simulate some bounce when the string is released.

BowDraw.jpg
    640 x 480 - 10K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Phil's way looks great. If you want the bones though, you could use a target helper aligned with the first bone, and then the last bone would use IK tracking with the target helper as the target. You would also need to probably set up different constrains for some of the joints.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

If you really did want to use a rig for the flexibility of being able to individually position where the draw point on the string is, as well as each end affecting the curve of the bow, you might try placing the base bone at the handle, running a bone or two, or three, down each shaft, but then one more bone extending straight from the handle to the draw point. This should place partial weight mapping on the string from each tip of the bow, and a large part on the draw string bone. So then you can just use your translation tools on each bone to place them how you want them to be positioned. In my head it works great - but then, I haven't tried it yet, so....

edited December 1969

To be honest, I did not thought about morphing jet.
    I could imagine, setting up the morph will be a bit more work than just uting some bone into action, but the result will be much finer...

I will give it a try..

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Morphing gives you a dial, where the rigging gives you something to grab.

edited December 1969

I see, in the end it's more accurate.

edited December 2013

I don't have this set, but doesn't the bow have some sort of morph built into it? I'd be surprised if it didn't, although it may not match exactly your vision. EDIT - the product page lists a "Pull Back" morph. Check in the Parameters tab.

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 1969

Darn, I'm sooo blind!!!
    I was looking for Parameter Tab, but the morph is inside the general tab.
    But in the end, this gave me some experiences in working with bones ;-)

Thanks for your hint Phil, and for your tutorials, they helped me so much.

Eddy

edited December 1969

Glad you found it in the end!