How to choose/make a right pose?

lord Adamlord Adam Posts: 125
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm search for a good pose for Vici. Is anyone of you know where I should find a specific sit & drive pose for my figure? Or maybe I should do this on hard way - step by step, manually...

girlcar.jpg
628 x 1017 - 63K

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

It is always good to manually learn the manner of posing the characters!

edited December 1969
  • cyborgty_074ff6c243cyborgty_074ff6c243 Posts: 132
    edited December 2013

I agree with DUDU_00001. You can get a lot of different perspectives on this. I create animations, not stills, but I believe what makes an interesting shot can also be said about a still. What do you want the viewers to focus on and what thoughts do you hope your image provokes? Everything in the still should support the message or story you are trying to convey. This includes the location and posing of the character.

Post edited by cyborgty_074ff6c243 on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Sometimes I will use a pre-made pose as a starting point if I'm in a hurry. Other times, I will pose the figure myself. Carrara has some useful tools to help with this. I like using IK tracking and target helpers to get a more natural feel to the pose, such as the suggestion of weight. A good example is this image:

Captured.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 594K
  • EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

I recommend this one: http://www.daz3d.com/tutorials/the-art-of-posing
    Sometimes it's on sale.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 2013

Sometimes I will use a pre-made pose as a starting point if I'm in a hurry. Other times, I will pose the figure myself. Carrara has some useful tools to help with this. I like using IK tracking and target helpers to get a more natural feel to the pose, such as the suggestion of weight. A good example is this image:

be careful if you drag the hand because sometimes it brings the collar into play which usually looks crapppy
    I always start with a premade pose eg an m4 pose on k4 - then fine tune but I think I need more practice

there's also this - bit long winded but could be useful though it's for poser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIvBvE5_g30

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

be careful if you drag the hand because sometimes it brings the collar into play which usually looks crapppy
    I always start with a premade pose eg an m4 pose on k4 - then fine tune but I think I need more practice

there's also this - bit long winded but could be useful though it's for poser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIvBvE5_g30

This is true, but there are ways around it, such as changing the constraints or adding IK terminators. Not difficult, but a little more advanced than your average posing.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    I recommend this one: http://www.daz3d.com/tutorials/the-art-of-posing
    Sometimes it's on sale.
    Wow! God call, Eddy! Another whom likes to learn from Blondie9999, how very cool! She has a great way of explaining. Great sense of humor, well researched, and nice illustrations to help point out things when needed. I don't have this one, but I like her tutorials, so I will be getting this one, too. Her rigging tutorials are great! :)

I must say that I really like having a good collection of Pose files, simply because a lot of the artists, at least here at DAZ 3D, whom make pose presets, have a great understanding of balance and rest points, artistic flow, etc., that helps to make a great pose. They can be a great time saver. But, like many products I buy, I like to buy them to serve as examples from which I can learn from.

All of that aside, the vast majority of posing of my figures in my scenes are done by hand from the zero pose with the one exception that the arms are rotated down, rather than holding the tee pose. I don't even use IK. I do my animation work by rotating each joint, using the rotate tool. But like you say, it's nice to know what makes a good pose. There are some excellent resources out that help in that regard. One is mentioned above, by Eddy: Blondie9999's "The Art of Posing", which I don't have... yet... but when I bought Carrara, I started by getting the "Figures, Characters, and Avatars" book by Les Pardew, mainly because it came with a copy of Carrara 6 Pro and Hexagon. The Carrara was upgraded to Carrara 7 Pro and Carrara 8 Pro beta, before the book arrived in the mail. Back then you could get it from DAZ 3D. Anyways, the book actually has some great advice about all sorts of topics revolving around why we use these types of software. Posing and scene composition was covered quite well, even though it was kept brief, since he had so much to cover. But Les does a great job of making a few words worth many - also with well thought out illustrations.

A long time ago I read how a person would use images from the internet and load them onto a polygon in the scene and use it to assist in creating poses. It was pretty cool - though I've never felt the inclination to do it, sometimes he would bring the polygon billboard forward intersecting with the figure. I wish I knew where I saw that. That was back when I first started getting into Poser.

Anyways, the point being that we can even use existing art and photos as our inspiration.

edited December 1969

A question: when I look at the tutorials, when a character is imported, they always advise not to use the limits for the bones, why?
    I always use them and I never have exaggerated deformations.

edited December 1969

A question: when I look at the tutorials, when a character is imported, they always advise not to use the limits for the bones, why?

It's a personal preference. Some issues you could have if you choose to turn off limits when using a pose is that shoulders can collapse and other weird deformations. My personal preference is to leave the limits on.

I like to create my characters and save them to the objects browser for later use. Well, I learned through bitter experience not to turn off the limits and save the figure, because it can screw up some things when bringing it back in.

There are a couple models that wouldn't load correctly in Carrara when I left the limits on, and so I had to turn them off. They were free Poser style models, so the person that made them and was giving them away may have done something wrong when they created them. I've only run into it a couple times.

edited December 1969

It's a personal preference. Some issues you could have if you choose to turn off limits when using a pose is that shoulders can collapse and other weird deformations. My personal preference is to leave the limits on.

I like to create my characters and save them to the objects browser for later use.
    Well, I learned through bitter experience not to turn off the limits and save the figure, because it can screw up some things when bringing it back in.

There are a couple models that wouldn't load correctly in Carrara when I left the limits on, and so I had to turn them off. They were free Poser style models, so the person that made them and was giving them away may have done something wrong when they created them. I've only run into it a couple times.

I make as you but when I open the file, it spends time to load !
    Thank you for your answer!

edited December 1969

I like to create my characters and save them to the objects browser for later use.
    Well, I learned through bitter experience not to turn off the limits and save the figure, because it can screw up some things when bringing it back in.

I make as you but when I open the file, it spends time to load !
    Thank you for your answer!

It does take time to load, but I find it takes less time than loading the different elements from the content browser. I don't use Genesis, just the Millennium 3 and Millennium 4 figures. I have read that for some reason the Genesis figure seem to load slower from the Objects browser. I'm not sure why.

edited December 1969

I believed that one needed C8.5 to charge Genesis… Perhaps via Poser?

edited December 1969

I believed that one needed C8.5 to charge Genesis… Perhaps via Poser?

Right. You need Carrara 8.5 for Genesis, but some things that I have read here suggest that after you load Genesis and you work to get it the way you want in Carrara and then you save it to your Objects browser, which saves it in the native. car file format, it should in theory load faster or at the least in the same amount of time. But from what I have read, it can take longer to load this way for some reaon. I can't test it though, because I do not have Carrara 8.5. I have Carrara 7.2 Pro.

From my own experience, The version 3 and version 4 figures do load faster is saved to the Object browser. Especially if you are saving a clothed figure.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 2013

for driving a car I choose a seated pose then add two target helpers each my figures hands track and parent them in the scene hierachy to the steering wheel.
    but I do animations.
    Yes Genesis loads very slow and saves as huge files in content browser.
    in fact I myself dress and shape it in Daz studio then import the saved .duf scene.
    I nearly always have to use a loosen morph if the clothes has one or open them in vertex room and select all and increase scale very slightly as poke through is shocking.
    the other solution is to use smoothing modifier in studio, hide Genesis and other clothes, export obj of the item, import as morph target.
    save scene.
    then you can use that morph in Carrara to loosen it.

on a side OT note
    I prefer V4 & M4 in Carrara too.
    so much less trouble.
    seriously considering buying the XD4 Licenses from Evil Innoccence for them too to wear Genesis clothes!!!
    Been going via Krystal Starfox to XD3 using my V4 licenses in that and V4 wears Genesis clothes quite nicely.
    it has a much needed loosen morph too.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on