Sheaths?

2»

Comments

• edited September 2019

By the way, as well as scabbards there is something of a need for sword belts or suitable attachments. Same goes for pistol holsters. 

Post edited by giaour94_fdcc6cb22c on
  • TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 238

This has been a longstanding frustration for me: the lack of swords with scabbards and for those with scabbards, the lack of any means of wearing the scabbard on a belt. Over the years there have finally been a few outfits that include this, but I have always thought it would be nice to have a sword and swordbelt set that could be worn by a character with different outfits. So I am creating it.

The sword and scabbard are nearly finished. The sword will be parentable to the hand or the scabbard, and the scabbard will be parentable to a scabbard holder on the belt. The belt itself will of course be a conforming clothing item. I see no reason for the scabbard to be rigged, but having read on this and another thread that Daz requires it, I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

wip-02.png
    1200 x 1560 - 3M
  • ExeterExeter Posts: 65
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:

Timotheus said:

This has been a longstanding frustration for me: the lack of swords with scabbards and for those with scabbards, the lack of any means of wearing the scabbard on a belt. Over the years there have finally been a few outfits that include this, but I have always thought it would be nice to have a sword and swordbelt set that could be worn by a character with different outfits. So I am creating it.

The sword and scabbard are nearly finished. The sword will be parentable to the hand or the scabbard, and the scabbard will be parentable to a scabbard holder on the belt. The belt itself will of course be a conforming clothing item. I see no reason for the scabbard to be rigged, but having read on this and another thread that Daz requires it, I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

I rig my scabbards and belts because there's a good chance an unrigged scabbard will wind up clipping through the leg in any kind of action pose. A bone for the scabbard holder and a bone for the scabbard itself usually handles most poses, with a rigidity map for the scabbard so there's no distortion with different body shapes.

Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:

Timotheus said:

I rig my scabbards and belts because there's a good chance an unrigged scabbard will wind up clipping through the leg in any kind of action pose. A bone for the scabbard holder and a bone for the scabbard itself usually handles most poses, with a rigidity map for the scabbard so there's no distortion with different body shapes.

Makes sense. What about dForce? I have been wondering if dForce could serve us in this situation. I'm not sure that would be so great, having to run simulations all the time.

Timotheus said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:

Timotheus said:

Makes sense. What about dForce? I have been wondering if dForce could serve us in this situation. I'm not sure that would be so great, having to run simulations all the time.

I've tried to combine dForce with rigid pieces, but I've never been able to make it work. Rigging the straps and scabbard is pretty straightforward and works for most situations. Limitation on my stuff is that they're sized for my armors, so they don't fit well when kitbashed on something that's too different. To make a more universal belt, it would probably be a good idea to include some belt morphs to adjust front, back and sides.

Exeter said:
    Timotheus said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:

Timotheus said:

I've tried to combine dForce with rigid pieces, but I've never been able to make it work. Rigging the straps and scabbard is pretty straightforward and works for most situations. Limitation on my stuff is that they're sized for my armors, so they don't fit well when kitbashed on something that's too different. To make a more universal belt, it would probably be a good idea to include some belt morphs to adjust front, back and sides.

That's exactly my plan, with the morphs. I will have versions for G8M and G8F, with morphs to fit at least some of the full-body morphs and a set of adjustment morphs to help fit different armors/outfits. I may experiment with the dForce, but I really don't want to get caught up on that.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• i have asked some PAs about this and the verdict is that a sheath, that hangs off a belt or another wrap is a total pain to rig.to keep it from deforming. If you look at the belt and sheath for the kadis armor for G3, it was quite the ordeal for the PA i read.

Then just make it a prop.

Honestly I don't understand why we don't get more items like armor plates and the like as props. Sure might take a little adjustment, but still.

Exeter said:

Making scabbards isn't so much difficult as it is tiime consuming. I usually do it the outfits I make (disclaimer: I don't broker here) that have swords, but in those cases the rigging is straightforward because it's part of an outfit. It you're making a sword with a scabbard and belt or baldric as a standalone, you're looking at a massive number or outfits they may be paired with. In the case of fantasy putfits in particular, you have the potential for some pretty wild armor pieces in the waist and hips, and with a baldric, you have to conside the shoulder and chest as well. Having had to jump through the hoops to get a scabbard working with a known outfit, I really understand why a vendor wouldn't do it for unknown outfits.

One possible way to work around it with a baldric is dForce. Just have it so they generally morph it so it doesn't clip then simulate it so it lays more naturally?

Exeter said:

I'm Deacon215

And the overwhelming majority of people asking for help are absolutely great. We do our own customer support at Rendo, so when there's a problem with one of my items, my little blue sitemail icon lights up. And I apologise if I came across overly negative... having a bad day.

Seriously dude, I LOVE your caveman stuff.

Exeter said:

Thanks! Yes, I was refering to the coverage. It was a fairly complex set to make, especially in light of how little it actually 'protects.' My daughters had some quite sacastic comments when they saw it. laugh

RiverSoft Art sells a convertor here at Daz, and Sickleyield had a tutorial on how to do it manually a couple of years back (I think it was on her DA page.) I'm a poor one to ask about how to do conversions because I have little experience...when I need one I remodel and re-rig it. frown

The hair is the Leyton hair . It's a favorite of mine because it's a rather timeless style, and it works well on G8F as well.

With hair, just load in G8 and the hair, use the bone editor tool, select the the figure and then the hair, right click, transfer rigging, then change the scene identification to Gen8 female. Done. Takes about 30 seconds. Do it all the time.

Exeter said:

Interesting, Ever consider doing a tutorial?

Exeter said:

Why not both? A rigged one and an optional prop scabard?

Just wondering

smiley 

As far as dForce on a baldric, I have looked at that. It does have some limitations, mainly because you want a baldric to hang close to the body, and dForce tends to drag everything down in the direction of the ground. This can lead to some odd looking drapes on a cross body belt. Setting up the scabbard as a rigid follow node might work, but I haven't had time to try it.

As far as a tuorial, Josh Darling from Daz already made one that's far better than anything I could do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L3srVYivaU

• Rigid follow nodes, work most of the time, but aren't perfect, if you need to 'move' the object, find it in your 'scene list', then 'click n drag' it above the follower it's attached too, move it to where needed and then move it back into it's 'follower place' afterwards.

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,085
    edited October 2019

Exeter: I love your work. Former History Major, I like to have some stuff that is believable. If you could tweak the Rogue for G3M to fit the G8M and give hime some half or 3/4 armor he would be an awesome Landsknecht.

Post edited by Sigurd on
    Sigurd said:

Exeter: I love your work. Former History Major, I like to have some stuff that is believable. If you could tweak the Rogue for G3M to fit the G8M and give hime some half or 3/4 armor he would be an awesome Landesknecht.

Thanks. I really enjoy the research, even though I usually wind up compromising historical accuracy to get something that works easily. 

G8 versions of the Rogue outfits are actually on my to-do list, though I don't have a time frame. And I agree, a Landsknecht would be a great one for 3D... would be fun to make a sheathable katzbalger for his hip. 

Here is one of my favorite Landsknecht pics. Slightly stylized, but so were they for the most part.

Landsknechts_01.jpg
    1525 x 1075 - 294K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Sigurd said:

Here is one of my favorite Landsknecht pics. Slightly stylized, but so were they for the most part.

They were my favourite ones to paint when I was earning some extra by painting model soldiers for the guy in the model shop. he liked to have some of the kits put together and painted to demo what they were like for the paying public.

• So I finished my sword belt for G8F. The belt itself is conforming, and the scabbard is rigged, while the sword is a simple prop. There are 30 adjustment morphs on the belt to help make it fit over different outfits. I'm pretty happy with the results and now working on the G8M version.

Tim

1000x1300-03.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 240K
    1000x1300-04.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 259K
    1000x1300-02.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 514K
  • Timotheus said:

So I finished my sword belt for G8F. The belt itself is conforming, and the scabbard is rigged, while the sword is a simple prop. There are 30 adjustment morphs on the belt to help make it fit over different outfits. I'm pretty happy with the results and now working on the G8M version.

Looks great. Just one query, can the belt be loaded on its own? I have a bunch of other swords with sheath, but no belt.

• Timotheus said:

So I finished my sword belt for G8F. The belt itself is conforming, and the scabbard is rigged, while the sword is a simple prop. There are 30 adjustment morphs on the belt to help make it fit over different outfits. I'm pretty happy with the results and now working on the G8M version.

Looks great. Just one query, can the belt be loaded on its own? I have a bunch of other swords with sheath, but no belt.

Thanks! Yes, the belt can be loaded by itself or with an empty scabbard or with scabbard and sword. 

Tim

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

Nice work Tim! I am off to pick this up. Hope to see more of these in the future!

Where can we pck this up?

• Just bought it. Works great and looks great, with every body shape morph I tried. Even the orc with the big muscles.  

• Just bought it. Works great and looks great, with every body shape morph I tried. Even the orc with the big muscles.  

Thanks for the support, and I'm glad you like it!

Tim

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:
    Petercat said:
    Exeter said:

Making scabbards isn't so much difficult as it is tiime consuming. I usually do it the outfits I make (disclaimer: I don't broker here) that have swords, but in those cases the rigging is straightforward because it's part of an outfit. It you're making a sword with a scabbard and belt or baldric as a standalone, you're looking at a massive number or outfits they may be paired with. In the case of fantasy putfits in particular, you have the potential for some pretty wild armor pieces in the waist and hips, and with a baldric, you have to conside the shoulder and chest as well. Having had to jump through the hoops to get a scabbard working with a known outfit, I really understand why a vendor wouldn't do it for unknown outfits.

If, as a customer, I am using a sheath or a scabbard with another outfit I would expect problems and work around them or just not use that combination. After all, look at the trouble we have with footwear and pants, sometimes from the same outfit.
    "It won't work with everything" is not a good reason to do nothing.

It is if you're trying to get something through QC, or having to deal with complaints because it doesn't work with [ fill in your favorite outfit]. I can appreciate that you expect problems/ are willing to accept workarounds. Others do not.

With that reasonable attitude I would like to support you. Please provide a link so that I can.
    If I understand the forum rules, you can if someone asks you to.
    Are there really that many 10-Ts that complain because something you create doesn't work with another item?
    I'd like to think that people are more sensible.

I must remind you, again, that...sense is not common!

Dana

• In case anyone is interested, the Genesis 8 Male version of the fantasy sword belt is now available. This one actually includes several more adjustment morphs and some full body morphs. 

Tim

• Excellent — it's in my cart, all ready for buying the next time I get stuff from Renderosity.

• CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 284

https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-dinner-hall-weapons this is what I use for most of my straight sheaths (scabbards really, but it calls them sheaths). Not fancy but they work. Also since some of teh weapons have off-centered rotation axises, these actually work VERY well to place swords in various places when used at the parent. 

That said:  I would LOVE a universal Scabbard with joints ever so often you can scale and bend as needed and add multiple materials/shaders to various parts.

OMG it came to me tonight and I tried it and works AWESOME! Victoria 4 univeral horns! they can scale, bend, twist and move side-to-side at 25 different joints. If you have a curved sword, These are amazing!. custom scabbards in any shader you have!

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321
    edited January 2020
    Coryllon said:

OMG it came to me tonight and I tried it and works AWESOME! Victoria 4 univeral horns! they can scale, bend, twist and move side-to-side at 25 different joints. If you have a curved sword, These are amazing!. custom scabbards in any shader you have!

Do you have a link for them? They're not showing up in the store search for me.
    "Hide Items I Own" is unchecked.

Post edited by Petercat on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

It will require a conversion from Michael/Victoria 4 or Genesis to Genesis 8 (bless @RiverSoftArt smiley ), but this looks quite good:

https://www.daz3d.com/corsair-for-m5-and-genesis

• It will require a conversion from Michael/Victoria 4 or Genesis to Genesis 8 (bless @RiverSoftArt smiley ), but this looks quite good:

https://www.daz3d.com/corsair-for-m5-and-genesis

Thanks smiley

Petercat said:

Do you have a link for them? They're not showing up in the store search for me.
    "Hide Items I Own" is unchecked.

Sorry it took so long to respond. I couldn't find it myself because unlike OTHER universal horns, this one only comes as PART of an add-on and it took me so long to find it, that I forgot about it.

https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-2-creature-creator-add-ons

You'll need that.