Why the Regression?

andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
edited August 2019 in Product Suggestions

Do not get me wrong, I'm full of admiration for the work of the artists on this platform. In my understanding of the world, a true friend also tells you things that you do not like to hear.

There is a phenomenon I can not understand - it did not get any better with G8 and sometimes it feels even like things get worse.

https://www.daz3d.com/security-genesis-2-male-s      Take this example here: The jacket can be opened and closed, the shirt as well. Pockets can be opened. The pants open and close, go up and down, go in boots and over boots - can even be used folded as a Prop. We are dealing here with material on G2 level!

In G8, I have not seen a single product with options only close to the example above. In many cases artists want to sell me G8 clothing in which shirt, tie and jacket are a single block - without the most primitive option to change one single thing. Why is that? Has the creation of equivalent products at G8 level become much more complex?

Post edited by andreretogasser on

Comments

• sjaammonssjaammons Posts: 185

Don't know jack about the process, but it's probably more work than the creators see worth the time. while I'm appreciateive of the ones that have some functionality (opening/closing jackets, able to attatch 1 glove or shoe, ect) I get its probably a lot of work. No excuse for the ones who make whole clothing sets 1 giant add all that you can't mix and match (you know who you are)

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,439
    sjaammons said:

Don't know jack about the process, but it's probably more work than the creators see worth the time. while I'm appreciateive of the ones that have some functionality (opening/closing jackets, able to attatch 1 glove or shoe, ect) I get its probably a lot of work. No excuse for the ones who make whole clothing sets 1 giant add all that you can't mix and match (you know who you are)

If it's what I think you're talking about, try this: 

Select the part you want to change in the scene. Go to the Surfaces tab and select the either the top level element (i.e., Shirt or Pants) or maybe separate pieces you want to change.

CTRL-double-click the material presets to bring up a dialog to select which parts get changed. Apply Surfaces->Selected, Images->Replace.

Mix and Match...

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited August 2019

Hi andreretogasser, in most cases it is indeed a question of time and effort. It is a time consuming process to add morphs and additional rigging to clothing and hair and the PA may consider that it is not profitable for them. Personally I am willing to pay more for top quality products with useful features, but that is up to the individual client. However, there is also another consideration; many PAs wish to make their clothing/hair items compatible with dForce. This is easier if the item is made from a single mesh. Certainly rigging and morphs can be added to a single mesh, but dForce compatibility may be an additional layer of complexity for the PA to deal with.

In the end, the answer is simple; don't buy items which don't have sufficient morphs and rigging for your requirements. If the morphs and additional rigging are not mentioned in the promo then they are almost certainly not there. The PAs who don't put in sufficient morphs and rigging will eventually get the point. 

The PAs that do put in the extra effort become well known for the quality of their work and are doubtless very successful with their sales figures.

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,904

It's funny that you picked Security! as your example because the creator of that item has in fact published a blog post explaining why there aren't more of these kinds of items:

Security! Genesis 2 Male sold 126 copies in its intro and made around $570, not that dissimilar to Mystic Giselle.  The difference is that Security! cost a month of my time because it had a lot of overlapping pieces and accessories.  That was an expensive lesson.  After that I learned not to make anything that takes longer than two weeks in a row, and especially not to burn myself out doing clothes.

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Why-It-s-All-Skimpwear-764130771

• Bad news that sickleyield stopped creating clothes! For me, "Security" is still the best example on the platform for proper work!

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

It's interesting to note that even an artist of the caliber of SickleYield can sometimes have an item that does not sell well. I hope she continues to release the excellent items for which she has such a good rep., but in the end, she also has to eat.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,904

I think her point is that it did sell well, but not well enough to justify the time it took to create it.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,820

I have that set for the G2 Male.
    Sadly all of his detailed  pockets etc could not spare him his grisly fate.devil