Posed Daz to Marvelous Designer

Hi all,

So I have a scene (will be rendered as static image - no animation)  I'm working on in Max. It contains a Gen 8 figure, posed for the scene, I exported from Daz as a obj. So far so good. Time to clothe this figure. I have Marvelous Designer 8 and have done some basic tutorials but they are about creating and applying the clothes. I found a garmet I'd like to use - it's a "dynamic Marvelous Designer hoodie garment file" from an artist on Artstation. So my question is ... is there a way to import my already posed figure, import the garment file and have it fit, then export back to Max for texturing and final tweaks, etc...? Or do I need to export from Daz as a T or A pose then load the needed pose .... Or is it even possible to do any of that? Any guidance on this would be very helpful - this is really confusing to me! ;)

Thank you

Daf

Comments

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited August 2019

All possible, I think (although I can't comment on the Max part). I'm in a similar position to you and have had the same questions. Here's a couple of tips:

Also this:  ... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4300241/#Comment_4300241

Post edited by marble on
  • Hey thanks, marble! I had already read the forum thread and couldn't get it to work for me. The video is interesting but I find that the pose in Daz isn't the same in MD - not really even close. I read that that is to be expected between the 2 programs. Without the ability to use the exact pose in MD I'm out of luck. Oh well, maybe one day I'll have a scene with a figure in the A pose. laugh

Too bad - I thought that might work.

Thanks!

Daf

• Bit of an update. I found that if I used a Gen 3 instead of the Gen 8 (saved pose and applied to G3 - worked!) the pose is correct in MD. Go figure! This is becoming so complicated. I think I'll just make the clothes in ZBrush! wink

edited August 2019

Are you using FBX or OBJ? Do you have Animate2? Perhaps you could try OBJ/MDD?

You've probably seen these on the MD forum, then? 

https://marvelousdesigner.com/community/forum/ShowoffandLearn/10605

https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/community/forum/TheCommons/10565

Post edited by marble on
  • Yes - saw both. Running out of steam on this sub-project but I've got them bookmarked. Thanks!!

I've had MD8 for a while but I've been away a lot this year and my intention to dive into some intensive learning has been sidetracked, so I guarantee that I know a lot less than you do on the subject. My idea was to do exactly what you want to do, however - make clothes for G8 and then drape them on a posed figure by importing the pose. From everything I've seen online, this should be possible but I haven't tried it. I'm in the middle of a project right now but when I finally get some time to dedicate to MD, I will let you know how it works out.

BTW, they are already showing a video about the upcoming MD9 and I haven't started to get to grips with 8 yet! It looks like it has some nice new features but I have a one-off license (I don't like subscription) so I doubt that I can afford to buy it again unless the discount is heavy (which I doubt since they want people to subscribe).

edited August 2019

Just a quick test - G8F to MD8. First imported the A-Pose as an avatar, then imported the pose as a morph (both in OBJ format).

Daz Studio.jpg
    667 x 1097 - 62K
    MD8.jpg
    922 x 1260 - 95K
    Post edited by marble on
  • Interesting. I didn't really understand, or try, anything to do with importing as .obj or as morph target. I will give that some time. I have to say ... this should be a LOT easier. I get the impression that MD projects are in T or A poses?

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234
    edited August 2019

So you have two options i guess:

1. Export your figure as OBJ in A-pose and then export any additional poses as morph targets. Set up the initial MD clothing item on your a-posed figure and then simulate to your desired pose via morph targets.

or

2. Export your figure from daz as an animation in alembic format with A pose as first frame and then set the desired pose as your final frame (you need alembic exporter for this i think). And then you can click on the animation simulation in Marvelous designer for the cloth simulation from initial pose to final pose.  Alembic is vertex exact unlike Collada files so you will never have difference between your Daz studio pose and MD pose.  Note: When exporting as OBJ, you shouldnt have any problems in MD either but you cant do animation.

When trying to get purchased garments to fit on Avatars in MD, sometimes it pays to adjust the garment shrink weft/shrink warp.  You can expand or shrink by going over 100% or under 100% respectively.  Changing shrink values is probably a bit more forgiving than scaling the relevant parts of the pattern.

Also, when i purchase MD garments, usually i find it's best to arrange the pattern pieces around your figure and sew.  You can use arrangment points to help you with this.  If arrangment points dont come up automatically, google how to add custom arrangment points.  The default custom ones should be fine for most purposes.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • Hey thanks, peenwolf! Especially the tips about the purchased garment fit - that was a bit troublesome as well. Alembic Exporter is close to $90 so I think I'll work on the .obj and morph targets for now.

Thanks again!

Daf

• pdr0pdr0 Posts: 204
    peenwolf said:
     Note: When exporting as OBJ, you shouldnt have any problems in MD either but you cant do animation.

You would export obj+mdd from DS (requires animate2) .  The mdd file specifies the animation - you import the obj, then the mdd in MD (MDD cache (standard) )

• Hey guys, so I went the Alembic Export route and got pretty good results - good enough for this scene. The alembic export was spot on. Thanks for the info on the weft/shrink warp settings. That's helped get the clothes looking fairly fitted. Wow - what a struggle laugh - all good, I learned alot. Thanks to all you pitched in and help! Much appreciated!

Daf

Yeah, I have Alembic on my wishlist waiting for a huge discount. Meanwhile, I've had conversations about using MDD (not to be confused with MMD) which comes with Animate2 and which I have already. All of this is waiting for me to try out first chance I get.

Is there a problem with loading OBJs as morph targets in Marvelous Designer? (I only use alembic exporter because i own it, but i think most people do the OBJ morph-target method) 

peenwolf said:

Is there a problem with loading OBJs as morph targets in Marvelous Designer? (I only use alembic exporter because i own it, but i think most people do the OBJ morph-target method) 

I think that, for a still scene, OBJ/Morph is fine (at least I haven't noticed a problem yet but I'm not very experienced). OBJ/MDD or Alembic both use OBJ as the basis for the export and then transfer the animation data in another file which is read by Marvelous Designer (again, that's how I understand it). I've seen comments that MDD is a better option than Alembic but I haven't had the chance to experiment yet. 

• pdr0pdr0 Posts: 204

obj is the most stable by far as a vertex interchange format, because it's been around forever and has never changed . It's fully mature.  I remember it working in MD2 , in other programs even longer. No program gets it "wrong" because it's such a simplistic format. The only thing people might have a problem with is the importing scale between programs (some simulation programs might use a default scale different than say, DS, or Realflow, or MD etc...)

alebmic had many problems for a few versions, in multiple programs , including MD over the years. "Growing pains" if you will -  as the spec was changed and more features added causing compatibility and interpretation issues. Alembic is a better format if it works - more options such as compression, more features.  In 2019, alembic is fairly mature now , you shouldn't have any problems if you're using a modern version of any 3D program.

• I know that this is an old post, so I am sorry if it is already closed, but the latest MD allows you to export with Daz selected as the scale

scale-daz.png
    2304 x 1800 - 115K

tam_c3df5332fc said:

I know that this is an old post, so I am sorry if it is already closed, but the latest MD allows you to export with Daz selected as the scale

pretty sure it always had that. 

I think the original post was about a pipeline for importing/exporting posed figures to MD and Max, which is pretty straightforward so i think was resolved.

• flowprinceflowprince Posts: 11

marble said:

All possible, I think (although I can't comment on the Max part). I'm in a similar position to you and have had the same questions. Here's a couple of tips:

Also this:  ... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4300241/#Comment_4300241

How do you import morpha targets for latest MD?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,727

How do you import morpha targets for latest MD?

Choose "Morph Target" from Object Type ~

SNAG-2024-1-4-0043.png
    1084 x 1231 - 152K