Searching the Content Browser?

his xhis x Posts: 866
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Is there a way to search the content browser? I've looked and can't find it, but it must be there.

Thanks.

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

C/Programs/DAZ3D/Carrara8/Presets and/or Scenes

edited December 1969

And those which you slip yourself since Carrara into your browser go (by default): C/User/You/Documents/DAZ 3D/Carrara8/My presets.
    But you can choose any place on your computer...

• his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited December 1969

I'm looking for a search tool built into the content browser. Poser has one. DAZ Studio has one, it is very useful. Carrara must have one too, I just can't find it.

edited December 2013

In Carrara on the right side of the browser, you can find a icon to manage your files (add some files, runtimes (Poser) etc...)

Post edited by DUDU on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

DUDU, I think he's looking for a search box for the Browser. I know it has been a feature request in the past. I had assumed with Smart Content and other updates to C8.5 that it would have had one added, but maybe not? I have C7.2 Pro and I don't have a search feature for the browser. I do see the option to create an index, but I assume that it would be an itemized text list, so I don't know if that would help much.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Nope.. there aint one and it's a PITA

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Sorry to hear that. Bummer. I'm not sure why, but I've always just loved this browser, and always wondered why it would require a search function - but there certainly seems to be a big calling for it. Senosoft's P3DO Explorer might give you what you need, if you're interested in a fine, new tool with a friendly, helpful author. I never tried the free version, since I only bought it to make thumbnails for .CAR files, which the pro version does so easily. But I believe that it's original design and purpose is to allow for easy access to the goods you own and use. I think that it has a search function, which is why I brought it up. It's handy. You tell it where you put stuff, and it... well... you'd better look for yourself. Even ask the author if you have a specific question. I did and he mailed me back within minutes! Then he told me that if I want him to add any new Carrara feature to let him know. He's very cool, sincere, honest, the kind of person I love to support.

Check it out?

edited December 1969

DUDU, I think he's looking for a search box for the Browser. I know it has been a feature request in the past. I had assumed with Smart Content and other updates to C8.5 that it would have had one added, but maybe not? I have C7.2 Pro and I don't have a search feature for the browser. I do see the option to create an index, but I assume that it would be an itemized text list, so I don't know if that would help much.

I did not know that existed!
    But I am persuaded that to organize oneself its files is the best solution and more rapid with the use because one organizes his files according to his own logic…
    Moreover, Carrara is extremely fast to load the libraries, contrary to Poser (since the version 2014, it is better).

edited December 1969

Sorry to hear that. Bummer. I'm not sure why, but I've always just loved this browser, and always wondered why it would require a search function - but there certainly seems to be a big calling for it. Senosoft's P3DO Explorer might give you what you need, if you're interested in a fine, new tool with a friendly, helpful author. I never tried the free version, since I only bought it to make thumbnails for .CAR files, which the pro version does so easily. But I believe that it's original design and purpose is to allow for easy access to the goods you own and use. I think that it has a search function, which is why I brought it up. It's handy. You tell it where you put stuff, and it... well... you'd better look for yourself. Even ask the author if you have a specific question. I did and he mailed me back within minutes! Then he told me that if I want him to add any new Carrara feature to let him know. He's very cool, sincere, honest, the kind of person I love to support.

Check it out?

I'll be installing P3DO later today, thank you. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the search function.

Sometimes when I'm looking for a pair of pants, the best way to find them is to search on pants. I can search from either the DS library or the Poser library, then drag and drop into Carrara. Unfortunately the new object always opens in a new file, rather than in the current open file. I've not yet discovered the workaround for that.

edited December 1969

I did not know that existed!

I didn't know either. However, I was not able to test it. It seems only to be available for the default Carrara data. It will not index the runtimes I have installed under the Content tab.

edited December 2013

Rottenham said:

Check it out?

I'll be installing P3DO later today, thank you. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the search function.

Sometimes when I'm looking for a pair of pants, the best way to find them is to search on pants. I can search from either the DS library or the Poser library, then drag and drop into Carrara. Unfortunately the new object always opens in a new file, rather than in the current open file. I've not yet discovered the workaround for that.

If you're loading the pants (in this instance) from Carrara's Content browser, select the top level of your figure in the Instances tray and then double click the icon for the pants in the Content browser. It should load conformed to the figure.

If you don't want it loaded conformed to the figure, just drag and drop the icon onto the Instances tray and it will load in your scene. If you have saved a clothing item to your Objects browser, then drag and drop the item into your scene and then conform it to the figure.

BTW, a great time saver for characters that you use a lot and have the same wardrobe is to group the figure along with the clothes it is wearing, name the group with a name that makes sense to you, and then drag and drop the entire group onto the appropriate directory in your Objects browser for the next time you want to use it. Unless it is a Genesis figure, it will also load faster.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 2013

If you're loading the pants (in this instance) from Carrara's Content browser, select the top level of your figure in the Instances tray and then double click the icon for the pants in the Content browser. It should load conformed to the figure.

I could do that, if I could find the pants.

Post edited by his x on
    edited December 1969

Rottenham said:

I could do that, if I could find the pants.

I do that sometimes. If it helps, look for the ones with the keys in the pocket. ;-)

edited December 1969

P3dO looks pretty good so far. It has a fast, specialized search feature that misses nothing. I can drag and drop a cr2 from P3dO into a Carrara file (although for the moment, the pants are stuck in Sequencer purgatory as an unused Master Object till I figure out how to get them out).

As a search and management tool, this is an elephant gun, not a fly swatter. I'll need to do some reading to learn to use all its abilities. Happily, this program includes a traditional chm help system.

The P3dO UI is easy for me to like, as it obeys the Windows font size setting. I set my size at 125%, and P3dO follows. This is uncommon, but welcome indeed.

If you keep all your software on the boot drive, and accept all the default settings, you may not find this utility to be of much use. However, if you've wished for a library manager that followed standard Windows conventions and had a robust search tool, this utility is worth a look.

Now if I can learn to use it...

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

Rottenham said:
    P3dO looks pretty good so far. ...

One of the P3DO features I like is the Motion Capture preview which as I recall can handle many formats including Poser, BVH, etc. The browser image/description (Carrara in my case) doesn't really give the whole story ...

:coolhmm:

edited December 2013

What do you mean your pants are stuck in sequencer purgatory?

edited December 1969

What do you mean your pants are stuck in sequencer purgatory?

I drag the pants in. Instead of loading in the current scene, they open in a new file, all alone. So I tried something I read about. I opened the pants in the vertex modeler, did CRTL A, then CTRL C, then went to the file with M4 in it, selected the model, and did CTRL V. This, I thought was how to do copy and paste in Carrara.

Well, the pants showed up in the Sequencer Master Object list, and they could be opened in the vertex modeler, but I couldn't get them into the Assembly room. They remained an unused object. Worse, the file refused to save until I deleted them.

How to get that object from one assembly room to another?

edited December 1969

Rigged items (which conforming clothes are), can't be copied, pasted or duplicated.

Where are you dragging them from? If you drag them from the Content Browser they should load in your current scene.

edited December 1969

If you select your figure, then double click the icon for the pants in the Content browser, they should load into your current scene conformed to the selected figure.

If you have no figure selected, and you double click the icon for the pants in the Content browser, I seem to recall it will open in a new scene.

edited December 1969

If you select your figure, then double click the icon for the pants in the Content browser, they should load into your current scene conformed to the selected figure.

If you have no figure selected, and you double click the icon for the pants in the Content browser, I seem to recall it will open in a new scene.

We are digressing. I'll open this question in a new thread.

My original question was about finding things in the Content Browser.

I have too much content to memorize its location. I have no search tool. I don't have time to open every folder and examine its contents. How do I find the content I need? How do you do it?

runtime.jpg
    170 x 248 - 13K
    edited December 1969

I have a mess! ;-) I probably have much less Poser stuff than most people do.

I tend to install the mil4 stuff and newer stuff in one runtime, the mil3 and older stuff in another runtime, free stuff in yet another runtime. Some people break it down characters, clothes, etc. I don't because when I started aquiring Poser style stuff I had no idea what a runtime was, so if there was an installer, I just let it stick it where it wanted. If it was manually installed, I stuck it in whatever runtime was convenient. Now I have too much stuff, and it would take more time to "organize" my stuff than it would take me to browse for what I want.

What I do is when I create a character that I want to use again, I save it to the Objects browser as I mentioned earlier. Sometimes I do it with plain, nekkid people, sometimes they are clothed, sometimes it is just the clothes. I usually do it because I have edited or tweaked the figure or clothes and want to save the edited version rather than to make it easier to find, Although that is also an advantage.

edited December 1969

I tend to install the mil4 stuff and newer stuff in one runtime, the mil3 and older stuff in another runtime, free stuff in yet another runtime. Some people break it down characters, clothes, etc. I don't because when I started aquiring Poser style stuff I had no idea what a runtime was, so if there was an installer, I just let it stick it where it wanted. If it was manually installed, I stuck it in whatever runtime was convenient. Now I have too much stuff, and it would take more time to "organize" my stuff than it would take me to browse for what I want.

What I do is when I create a character that I want to use again, I save it to the Objects browser as I mentioned earlier. Sometimes I do it with plain, nekkid people, sometimes they are clothed, sometimes it is just the clothes. I usually do it because I have edited or tweaked the figure or clothes and want to save the edited version rather than to make it easier to find, Although that is also an advantage.

You are a long suffering man, evilproducer.

edited December 2013

Rottenham said:

You are a long suffering man, evilproducer.
    Well, I will have been married 21 years this spring. :lol:

edited December 1969

Rottenham said:

I could do that, if I could find the pants.Searching for "pants" will likely leave out most of the pants that you have available, I'm guessing. There are pants products individually, but many pants come in a costume set with much more than just pants, and the pants, obviously being pants, might go by an entirely different name, entirely avoiding the search.

Using Poser and DS content is a bit different than many other things. We collectors of the content must get to know what we have, by name. So when we get a huge pile of cool, free stuff to download, that can overwhelm our immediate senses - and we won't actually know what each file contains. To sort mine into their appropriate runtime locations, I'll often find the item in the store and take a good look at it to determine which runtime to install it to. This not only helps me install it to where I will find it most easily, but will also log the name and contents of the product, at least in some small way, into my subconscious mind. Other times, I'm actively shopping for a specific need at the store. Let's say I wanted to but some cool new pants. I'd get some decent results, perhaps, by searching 'pants' in the store, but I'd find a much better selection by browsing the clothing category for the figure I want to dress up. When I find one I really like and buy it, I already know where I want it installed and the name of the product. Now it's a matter of checking the ReadMe file of the product to know what it's called in the library. At this point I'll often load it up and try it out on the intended figure in Carrara.

Eventually, we just know what to expect within our libraries.

edited December 1969

Here's how I create my various runtimes to help myself sort the products I've purchased: Custom Poser Runtimes
    It includes instructions on setting these up using the DIM - just read past that stuff if you don't use DIM.

edited December 2013

Eventually, we just know what to expect within our libraries.

Dragging content between two assembly rooms, that's something I would very much like to learn. Please share!

Post edited by his x on