Toon! Pro for Carrara

nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am thinking about purchasing Toon! Pro for Carrara.

My reasons are many at this point. The number one, I want to move a Toon project from DAZ Studio to Carrara simply because Carrara does a much better job of handling importing of Object models.

I need to know if Toon! Pro has any limitations. Specifically, can I use it on volumetric clouds and on third-party products like the Brianorca's Ocean plugin.

I just will not go for it if it turns out to have such limitations.

Comments

• NASSOSNASSOS Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

You can not use on volumetrics and have a line effect. The plug in detects the edges of geometry and draws a line, there is no edge on a volumetric. I have used the toon shader on waters and that works fine. Only if there is geometry you can get the line to work. It also is not working on the hair.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

NASSOS said:
    You can not use on volumetrics and have a line effect. The plug in detects the edges of geometry and draws a line, there is no edge on a volumetric. I have used the toon shader on waters and that works fine. Only if there is geometry you can get the line to work. It also is not working on the hair.
    Right, because Carrara dynamic hair is shader based, and has no geometry - if I remember that right. When I was fumbling with the idea of line art toon for my animations, I was considering modeling my own hair, specifically to get the drawn look. I do find the modeler very comfortable to work with in the assembly room for modeling directly onto any other existing figure - or set of figures. I'm glad they gave us that, most excellent ability! :)
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2013

So what about creating a primitive, or so, replicating it to look like clouds for the toon look, would that work, is that possible?

Are there any other gotchas I should know about?

Also, what about your starry skies, Dartanbeck, is that out of the question as well for Toon! Pro. If that doesn't work either, then perhaps I should start looking for toon backgrounds.

I will be working on sci-fi where Aircraft Carriers fly thru the skies and, of course, space, plenty of outer space scenes. :)

Post edited by nDelphi on
    edited December 1969

NASSOS said:

I just thought of something... the skies could be toonified in postwork. I could render the scene without the sky and then render the sky by itself.

That should work, the issue then would be trying to make them match later in style.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    NASSOS said:

I just thought of something... the skies could be toonified in postwork. I could render the scene without the sky and then render the sky by itself.

That should work, the issue then would be trying to make them match later in style.

If it helps, I rendered this to an image sequence with Carrara's standard renderer and no toon effects. I then used Image Ready to batch apply Photoshop's Poster filter to the image sequence, then compiled the image sequence in Quicktime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqkRvyKYDgo

edited December 1969

Yeah, I think I will have to fall back on Filters in Photoshop or a toonifying app I have around here somewhere to do some of this stuff.

Things can never be simple.

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    Yeah, I think I will have to fall back on Filters in Photoshop or a toonifying app I have around here somewhere to do some of this stuff.

Things can never be simple.

For clouds, there is a nice Carrara Cumulus cloud object on ShareCG. I can see if I can find the link.

edited December 2013

Found the link! Since it is an object, you should be able to toonify it.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/41244/browse/5/3D-Model/Cumulonimbus-cloud

Edited 'cause I forgot the friggin' link! ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Found the link! Since it is an object, you should be able to toonify it.

Thanks! I am checking it out right now.