can i somehow bring obj into the terrain manager of bryce in order to manipulate it there?

octobusoctobus Posts: 117
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

i like the modification possibilities of bryce terrain manager...

i have some objects as .obj and i don´t know if there is one way or the other to somehow get the form in there

any ideas?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Terrain maps are generated from Grey scale images, either directly by drawing one in the terrain editor, or by importing an image map in grey scale.

OBJ are actual mesh, and can be imported into Bryce as objects.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

A bit of an odd question, but that is what this forum is for so always ask away.

I agree with Chohole, the two are different as apples from oranges. Terrains are topologies based on image maps, primarily tiff or bmp type images. Other types of models dont have their surface features derived from a grayscale image in the way terrains do.

Another way to think of it is that terrains are actually 2 dimensional, they are flat surfaces which "height displace" based upon the color of a pixel. Whiter pixels equal points on the surface which are higher in altitude than black pixels which are points which remain at the bottom.

Obj models are not treated as displacements on a plane, and therefore the two types of models are not really compatible.

One point of confusion might come in with the symmetrical lattice. A Lattice is nothing more than a terrain that is twinned. The original is accompanied by an exact copy which is upside down and glued to the underside of the original terrain. The look of such an object is a lot like a truly 3d model, but indeed under the the hood ti is still the basic terrain technology at work.

Best of luck

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,526
    edited December 1969

Bring in your object and render it as distance mask. Export the rendered image as 48-bit TIFF, convert it in a graphics application to 16-bit greyscale TIFF and then load it as image into the terrain editor. If you don't have such a converter, save the render as is and load it into TE. You've got to use a lot of smooth filtering.

• octobusoctobus Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

thanks everyone.... thanks horo!!!! you hit it.... this is what i was looking for.... still need to figure out the details but this is what i was looking for!!!
    i love it!