Multi-armed Gen 8 models

I'm sure this is a rigging nightmare, but it would be cool to have shaping options to have four armed Gen 8 models for fantasy/sci-fi stuff.

Comments

• It would need to be a geoGraft, not a morph (aside from the probablity that there isn't enough detail, even with a manageable level of HD, to add an arm morph the morphed mesh would still have the weights of the original, which would mean weird defomrations, and no way to bend the extra "bones" at all). To be riggable the arms really have to be aranged in a line - they can't all sprout from the shoulders as they tend to in statues and paintings.

• Yeah it would be nice, but probably also almost impossible.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388
    fireblast said:

Yeah it would be nice, but probably also almost impossible.

It’s not impossible using geografts, as Richard mentioned. There used to be a “4 arms” figure for G1 long ago.

It has limitations though, like the extra arms requiring their own textures, using clothes or combining with morphs being complicated...

• sjaammons said:

I'm sure this is a rigging nightmare, but it would be cool to have shaping options to have four armed Gen 8 models for fantasy/sci-fi stuff.

IMO to make it less of a rigging nightmare, anyone attempting it should look at how they created/rigged the 4 armed characters for Mortal Kombat.  There is an XNALARA model of Goro from Mortal Kombat X and with the right addon you can open up that file in Blender to study it.  I'm looking at his model right now and right off the bat i can make one suggestion which would help anyone thinking about making a 4 armed, 2 legged model for Daz.  That would be to make them have only 3 fingers on each arm and only two toes on each foot (how Goro is designed).  If someone were to take a G8 mesh and add in an extra set of arms, to rig the character you would need to rig 20 fingers and 10 toes total.  However if you make the character similar in design to Goro then you only have to rig 12 fingers and 4 toes total