Moving Content Between Two Assembly Rooms?

his xhis x Posts: 866
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have two Assembly Rooms open. One has an M4 figure in it. One has a V4 figure in it.

What is the best, fastest, easiest way to get my M4 figure into V4's Assembly Room?

Thanks.

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Slip the first into your library and reload it in your second project…

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 2013

As DUDU suggested, save the M4 to your Objects Browser. If he is clothed, you can select M4, and all his clothes and use the Group command in the Edit Menu. Once the figure and his clothes are grouped, either drag and drop him into an existing directory in your Objects browser, or create your own folder and add it to the Objects browser and then drag and drop the figure group into it.

To load the figure, drag and drop its icon into either the Assembly room or onto the Instances tray. If you double click the icon it will open in a new scene.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

And if it is a character or another rigged object, you must make the same thing, even if it is in the same project because one cannot duplicate this kind of objects.

• his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited December 1969

As DUDU suggested, save the M4 to your Objects Browser. If he is clothed, you can select M4, and all his clothes and use the Group command in the Edit Menu. Once the figure and his clothes are grouped, either drag and drop him into an existing directory in your Objects browser, or create your own folder and add it to the Objects browser and then drag and drop the figure group into it.

To load the figure, drag and drop its icon into either the Assembly room or onto the Instances tray. If you double click the icon it will open in a new scene.

OK. I dragged a figure into the My Objects panel.

You might think this is weird, but I'm uncomfortable not knowing either the file name, or the path to the file. Would you happen to know how to get that information?

info.jpg
    326 x 183 - 14K
    edited December 1969

Rottenham said:

OK. I dragged a figure into the My Objects panel.

You might think this is weird, but I'm uncomfortable not knowing either the file name, or the path to the file. Would you happen to know how to get that information?

The path (or at least part of it) is displayed in the dialogue you posted. You can take the opportunity to give it a unique name if you wish. If you're saving it to one of the default directories it will be stored in your presets, probably in the application bundle or in the C8.5 folder.

For my part, I created a folder for my characters called People where I wanted it, and pointed Carrara's Objects browser at it, by selecting the little black icon on far right side of the Browser window and chose, Add Folder. I also created on for rigged or conforming clothes and added it.

edited December 1969

Rottenham said:

I found the little bugger. My Objects is located on the C drive.

I installed Carrara to the D drive intentionally to keep the applications separate from the boot drive. I can't believe the arrogance of this Content Browser, writing wherever it pleases. It's saving a car file. I have more control with File Save.

I thought the transposed Y and Z was bad, and the messed up scaling.

edited December 1969

Rottenham said:
    Rottenham said:

I found the little bugger. My Objects is located on the C drive.

I installed Carrara to the D drive intentionally to keep the applications separate from the boot drive. I can't believe the arrogance of this Content Browser, writing wherever it pleases. It's saving a car file. I have more control with File Save.

I thought the transposed Y and Z was bad, and the messed up scaling.

See my post above. You can create a folder on whatever drive you want and point the Browser to that folder and save stuff to it when you drag them to the browser. I have several folders in my browser that I have set up this way.

edited December 1969

See my post above. You can create a folder on whatever drive you want and point the Browser to that folder and save stuff to it when you drag them to the browser. I have several folders in my browser that I have set up this way.

I don't mean to be obtuse, but I don't see the gain in using My Objects. In fact, if you fill it up, you're facing the "no search tool" issue again.

edited December 1969

Not My Objects. The Object Browser. You can add your own folders to the Objects Browser and have them located on whatever drive you want. Yes, more directories will be added to the Objects browser or the Shader browser, or whatever Browser you want to add stuff to, but if you name your directories logically, you'll know where to look.

Lets use your devil figure as an example. You could created a directory just for him. You could save various iterations, or with various costumes. You could make one for his clothes if you wanted them separate, or create a sub-directory within his main directory for clothes or props.

For my part, I like that I can load an entire clothed figure by dragging and dropping him or her into the scene. All morphs are intact, all tweaks to the textures are intact, etc.

I'd post a screen shot, but I'm rendering a spherical render of a landscape with 200,000 trees, and 1200 clouds at 8000X4000 pixels, so Carrara is fairly busy at the moment. ;-)

edited December 1969

Not My Objects. The Object Browser. You can add your own folders to the Objects Browser and have them located on whatever drive you want. Yes, more directories will be added to the Objects browser or the Shader browser, or whatever Browser you want to add stuff to, but if you name your directories logically, you'll know where to look.

I already am setting up a directory structure, and it's searchable, as well. I get to see the file names and paths, too. I already can drag an object into Carrara. The only thing the content browser gives me is the ability to drag a second rigged object into a scene, instead of using my runtimes or File Import. What am I missing?

Carrara has a lot of things going for it. Unfortunately the Content Browser isn't one of them.

edited December 1969

The Browser is much more than the Content tab. It can be a powerful tool.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Rottenham said:

I don't mean to be obtuse, but I don't see the gain in using My Objects. In fact, if you fill it up, you're facing the "no search tool" issue again.Ah... but this is where you may alleviate yourself from the need of a search tool. The My Objects portion of My Objects is only the opening of a much more expansive organization system which each of us set up o reflect how we want to store, organize, and find our files.

Just have a read through this short article I've written: Your Carrara Browser
    It's just a basic understanding of how the "My" system in the browser works in a Windows environment. I'm sure that it must be at least somewhat similar to how it is set up on Mac.

This way you may basically organize most of your "Save As" locations before actually saving anything - just making a fine organizational structure based upon you, and how you prefer to store things, sort things, whatever. We're all different, so I've really grown to love the way it works very early on, which totally pays off now. Once the structure is in place, you'll be able to see it in the top entries of the browser, for any of the tabs you've set up. This means that you may navigate there using the browser, even if no files yet exist in a given location - making it possible to go to a spot and drag files in. I still use Save As more than dragging - but dragging into the browser is really useful for many things, which you'll see on your own - depending upon what projects you do.

As for the original question, you may also drag things from one assembly room to another. I don't have multiple monitors, nor have I ever tried to view two (or more) assembly room windows at once. But you may actually drag from one to another.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Going all the way back to the original question. How about saving both scene files and merging one into the other. I am doing this all the time - kind of my own content browser with the elements of the scene already as I like them - and as large or small as I need.

Good luck with with ever path(s) you choose - they all have their merits.

edited December 1969

As for the original question, you may also drag things from one assembly room to another. I don't have multiple monitors, nor have I ever tried to view two (or more) assembly room windows at once. But you may actually drag from one to another.

My 27" monitor is big enough to display two apps, I do it often. But, I don't know how to display two instances of the application. Please tell.

edited December 1969

Going all the way back to the original question. How about saving both scene files and merging one into the other. I am doing this all the time - kind of my own content browser with the elements of the scene already as I like them - and as large or small as I need.

Good luck with with ever path(s) you choose - they all have their merits.

I'm very new at Carrara, and I don't know how to merge two scenes. Sounds like it would come in handy, though. I missed it in the manual. How do you go about it?

edited December 2013

Rottenham said:

My 27" monitor is big enough to display two apps, I do it often. But, I don't know how to display two instances of the application. Please tell.

You can open a few instances of Carrara in the same time, clic on your icon a few times and look on your taskbar, there must be each instance in each window.
    About to merge a scene in another, it's like the objects (from the scene browser) or you make : File/Import/ your scene.car

Post edited by DUDU on
    edited December 1969

Rottenham said:

You can open a few instances of Carrara in the same time, clic on your icon a few times and look on your toolbar, there must be each instance in each window.
    About to merge a scene in another, it's like the objects (from the scene browser) or you make : File/Import/ your scene.car

I didn't realize it was so easy to open two instances. No luck dragging the figure though. I've tried dragging from the assembly room and the instances tray. Obviously I'm missing something.

Thanks.

two.jpg
    1200 x 649 - 102K
    edited December 1969

For not rigged objects, try Copy/Paste (from Edit, right clic don't work for that in Carrara).
    For rigged objects, you must pass by your content browser or Export/Import...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Rottenham said:
    I've tried dragging from the assembly room and the instances tray. Obviously I'm missing something.

Thanks.

Probably not missing anything. Some things you just cannot do with Poser/DS figures. Sorry about that.
    The biggest reason that I didn't know for sure, stems back to that info I've been talking about regarding browser organization. In the article, I show how I have a structure for all of my people that I optimize. I already have the habit of just opening my 'People" position in the "My Objects" portion at the top of my Objects tab, then opening the character slot that I want and load in the version that I want for this scene. Some characters are more general, so I'll have a single slot for, say, villagers. Some of these are M4s, some V2, Loretta Lorez by Predatron, etc., all dressed up and optimized for how I like to render my people. I do the same for animals, creatures and dragons. I also have slots for special effects, lighting set ups, vehicles, helper objects, all manner of things. This way, every time I optimize something, I always have a convenient spot to store it for later use.
    edited December 1969

For not rigged objects, try Copy/Paste (from Edit, right clic don't work for that in Carrara).
    For rigged objects, you must pass by your content browser or Export/Import...

I couldn't get it to work with a pp2 object either. No copy and paste, no drag and drop. Guess I ought to give up.

This is surprising.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Rottenham said:

I'm very new at Carrara, and I don't know how to merge two scenes. Sounds like it would come in handy, though. I missed it in the manual. How do you go about it?

Hi there welcome to an interesting world of fast development vs many bugs. You'll learn to work around the bugs, and then enjoy using the poser content to put scenes together real fast.

As to your question you go into scene 1 then select FILE --> IMPORT --> anyfile.car

I made up the anyfile.car name, but I mean any of your previously saved carrara files).

Sometimes the import goes wrong, just save your scene before any import and try again. Sometimes the import messes up the props that are conformed to a figure, just move them out of any groups and conform to the figure again.

However 99% of the time - no problems! Good luck.

edited December 1969

Rottenham said:
    I've tried dragging from the assembly room and the instances tray. Obviously I'm missing something.

Thanks.

Probably not missing anything. Some things you just cannot do with Poser/DS figures. Sorry about that.
    The biggest reason that I didn't know for sure, stems back to that info I've been talking about regarding browser organization. In the article, I show how I have a structure for all of my people that I optimize. I already have the habit of just opening my 'People" position in the "My Objects" portion at the top of my Objects tab, then opening the character slot that I want and load in the version that I want for this scene. Some characters are more general, so I'll have a single slot for, say, villagers. Some of these are M4s, some V2, Loretta Lorez by Predatron, etc., all dressed up and optimized for how I like to render my people. I do the same for animals, creatures and dragons. I also have slots for special effects, lighting set ups, vehicles, helper objects, all manner of things. This way, every time I optimize something, I always have a convenient spot to store it for later use.

I understand. I did the same as you in Poser. I'll want to do the same thing in Carrara.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

Rottenham said:

Hi there welcome to an interesting world of fast development vs many bugs. You'll learn to work around the bugs, and then enjoy using the poser content to put scenes together real fast.

As to your question you go into scene 1 then select FILE --> IMPORT --> anyfile.car

I made up the anyfile.car name, but I mean any of your previously saved carrara files).

Sometimes the import goes wrong, just save your scene before any import and try again. Sometimes the import messes up the props that are conformed to a figure, just move them out of any groups and conform to the figure again.

However 99% of the time - no problems! Good luck.

I'm exploring the tool's capabilities now, finding my limitations. I have to see for myself, I can't just blindly follow. Looks like I can't lose with Save and Import. I can't pivot on this, I've got too much to learn.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

You have all the same chance to have this forum to help you, the majority among us have had to learn alone!

edited December 1969

You have all the same chance to have this forum to help you, the majority among us have had to learn alone!

The classrooms are gone. The books are almost gone. Nobody can learn a complex program like Carrara watching 50 5-minute YouTube videos. Nobody will live long enough to figure it out by trial and error. This forum is the only real learning tool we have.

I've been to the forums of other products. Maybe you'll get an answer in a week. Maybe you'll get none at all. Maybe you'll be hassled by the Topic Police. This forum stands alone. The crew is decent, and I always get answers. I don't think I could learn this program without it.

Thanks to all.