How to Carrara export Genesis to DAZ correctly?

Dream StoryDream Story Posts: 42
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I load genesis 2 figure in carrara 8.5 and make some animation and then export the posed figure to dae file formate.
After I import the dae file in DAZ 4.6 I found Genesis 2 figure head is disappear.

I then try Genesis figure in carrara and then export to dae file format after I import this dae file in DAZ 4.6 I found the figure could not
act as original genesis figure for posing in DAZ.

What I would like to achieve is to save my preferred pose from carrara and then import to DAZ to save as a pose preset for future use.

Is it possile to achieve that?

or it is impossible to export Genesis correctly from carrara to DAZ ?

Daniel

Genesis.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 407K
G2HeadDisappear.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 407K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

not really
    what happens in Carrara mostly stays in Carrara which for most rendering carrara is not an issue.
    however you can buy a relatively cheap plugin by Fenric called pz2/BVH exporter that will save your pose or animation to use in Daz studio.
    or Poser.
    most things are best done in the software you are using, jumping between you are better off redoing from scratch.
    I say this as somebody who does animations in Carrara, Daz studio, iClone and Poser, yes I mostly use the same bought Daz content, no I do not go from one to another for the same scene except to composite backgrounds etc in video.
    I redo from scratch in each.

• Dream StoryDream Story Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Addict:

Thanks for your suggestion.

You mean I only need to purchase pz2/BVH and export Genesis 2 pose to be pz2 file format and then load the saved pz2 file to DAZ genesis 2 figure?

I could reduce the try and error time if pz2/BVH work for Genesis 2 figure.

Daniel

edited December 1969

yes should work.
    the plugin gives the option selecting your figure of under file, export chosing pz2 or bvh
    can be a pose or animated range.
    a pz2 is a Poser format file, you should try both a pz2 & a bvh to see which is best.
    the pz2 can be dragged and dropped into studio onto your Genesis 2 or any other figure in studio, the bvh you select the hip and import under file, a dialogue comes up where you can chose bones involved.

edited December 2013

Hi Addict:

I just bought the pz2/BVH plugin and install to Carrara 8.5. I did not find the plugin in Menu->edit area hence that
    I try to execute File->save as and found .pz2 option appears. I try the File->Save as function but the error message shows that "there is not any skelton selected".
    I then select hip and execute File->Save as function and I found Michael4 exported pose could load into DAZ 4.6. But Geesis and Genesis 2 saved pz2 file could not load into DAZ.

I try to find any instruction file but did not find yet. Now I am trying to find how to solve the problem.

Daniel

Post edited by Dream Story on
    edited December 1969

Did you try bvh? I have a feeling I had to do that for Genesis.
    you need to have the figure selected not actor or hip in carrara
    I am on android not my computer righ now but will look, fenric would have more idea if you can PM him.

edited December 2013

ok, my Windows restarted ok, after saying not genuine, I have a 2014 bug in my PC!

in carrara pz2 indeed gives an error but bvh works
    choose export not save as under file

in studio choose hip on ANY figure
    open advanced, for most unticking hands or feet advised if not same figure ie genesis not genesis 2

and I checked using mimic, if G2F used in studio from a g2F export, facial morphs come over too, not on Genesis1 as iwould be expected so no surprise there

Untitled.jpg
    836 x 685 - 112K
    Untitled.jpg
    1099 x 624 - 215K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Yes. Just as Wendy says above ;)

While we're on the subject of Exporting Genesis for use in DAZ Studio, DAZ 3D does have instructions here regarding how to make morphs, clothing, and other resources for Genesis (which also works for Genesis 2, btw) using DAZ Studio. If you wish, you may use Carrara as the modeler when they talk about that stuff. To do so, you export Genesis as an OBJ file. I just thought I'd throw that out there just in case you might be thinking of doing something like this in the future. If this interests you, and you have any questions about it, find me and I'll help you out. It's really fun.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

For the benefit of new folks:

PZ2 is for Poser figures. Genesis is a Carrara-native figure, not a Poser figure, and my code cannot create a PZ2 file from it.

BVH is a general format, but because of some work-arounds to make Poser figures work, Genesis hip movement is lost. I am still trying to figure out how to fix Genesis without breaking Poser compability.

edited December 1969

ok, my Windows restarted ok, after saying not genuine, I have a 2014 bug in my PC!

in carrara pz2 indeed gives an error but bvh works
    choose export not save as under file

in studio choose hip on ANY figure
    open advanced, for most unticking hands or feet advised if not same figure ie genesis not genesis 2

and I checked using mimic, if G2F used in studio from a g2F export, facial morphs come over too, not on Genesis1 as iwould be expected so no surprise there

Thanks for your detail guide. I got good result follow your instruction.
    Very appreciate!

edited December 1969

Thanks Dartanbeck:

That is what I plan to do in carrara. i already bought this software from carrara 6 but did not spend much time to study carrara.
    I spend much time in DAZ and after try the animation rendering performance recently in DAZ 4.6 I decided to study deeply in carrara
    for animation and cloth modeling and so on.

Therefore I upgrade my carrara 8.1 to carrara 8.5 for Genesis 2 figuare compatibility and also bought Fenric's plugin by way of wendy's suggestion.

I am happy to get your feedback for discussing about carrara modeling and mosphs here. I can not wait for the discussion begining.

Daniel

edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    For the benefit of new folks:

PZ2 is for Poser figures. Genesis is a Carrara-native figure, not a Poser figure, and my code cannot create a PZ2 file from it.

BVH is a general format, but because of some work-arounds to make Poser figures work, Genesis hip movement is lost. I am still trying to figure out how to fix Genesis without breaking Poser compability.

Hi Fenric:

Your plugin is wonderful to reduce much effort for posing during genesis 2 transfer between Carrara and DAZ.
    I am very appreciated your existing code upgrade effort in Genesis compability.

May you have a wonderful happy new year!

Daniel