Proper Anthro Characters

Can we please finally get some updated proper Anthro/Furry style characters? A lot of what we have is out of date, or not that great.

Popular races: dog, cat, rabbit, horse, sheep, mouse

I get a lot of requests for anthro character art and really just am unable to meet the need.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

Can you give some examples of what you consider "proper" anthros?

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Human-ish body likely with animalistic texture and appendages and animal head?

• A quick google search will show folks a lot of great examples of Anthro characters. There are countless varieties.

That said much of what Daz has really falls short - it should be a bit cartoony. Most of the morphs we have for things like animal heads and such really dont do the job well.

de4ad725ec7f07826cf43ca68c44149b.jpg
    1119 x 800 - 96K
  • There is tons of online art for this. A lot of what I have seen so far tries in a weird way to look realistic, while failing. A cartoonish approach is best.

Honestly, I feel like we need a new rig just for anthro body types instead of just the gen 8 stretched to weird sizes.

imgbin-furry-fandom-character-fursuit-second-cat-megapack-the-frisky-feline-tales-old-4L1CcsDYVF9QYGnmEDx7mNv4R.jpg
    728 x 1128 - 142K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

A cartoonish approach is best.

That is very much an issue of taste.

• Oso3D said:

A cartoonish approach is best.

That is very much an issue of taste.

While true, we have several model types that try hard and fail pretty badly at being realistic for a purely fantasy creature.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

When artists and fans have very different opinions about foot design, ranging from completely plantigrade (flat, human feet) to so extremely digitigrade (standing upon one's toes) that the shin section is maybe a third the length of the thighs and foot arch region (individually) and held in a completely horizontal position, that makes designing and rigging all the more difficult.  Any choice made will drive some people to say "It too human looking" while others will argue "It's too animalistic!"

Thankfully, I found the nearly perfect figure (for my needs, anyway, if not somebody elses) years ago, Lady LittleFoxe's "Melody for Aiko 3" and the male counterpart "Micah for Hiro 3".  When Beth Capsces released her morph sets "Furries for...", I feel they struck gold.

From a purely subjective view, I feel these character meshes have yet to be surpassed.

Sincerely,

Bill

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,146
    I agree that the cartoonish approach is probably the best because it appeals to both the crowd that wants anthro pinups and the crowd that wants to make cute storybook character renders. I think a proper muzzle might he difficult to rig tho
    edited September 2019

Cartoonish is only somewhat character design, but also texture and render style.

But it’s definitely food for thought; I’ve often debated how to make more illustration-looking figures.

Post edited by Oso3D on
    Oso3D said:

I love them both, Oso. i love them both. :)

Whew! Since I have more in mind...

Although I'm going to at least attempt to make some textures that are more compatible with illustration style renders.

RKane_1 said:
    Oso3D said:

I love them both, Oso. i love them both. :)

Oh, and I have BOTH in my library. :) 

Lookin' forward to more. :)

• I am wondering if you could dial in the anthro character and then dial in some toon shape a bit to get more of what you are looking for.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Midnight, not  a  sound from the pavement.  Has the moon lost her memory?  She is smiling alone.  Lamplight, yadda, yadda, yadda.

• For what its worth, I'm finding the anthro characters at philosophersegg.com outstanding. Highly recommend!

• SelcoeurlSelcoeurl Posts: 0

Liking the otter.  Although he's fairly androgynous as it is: I'd also like to see a female variant just for the hell of it.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,130
    edited July 2020

my characters are caught in a limbo of sorts.. the major morph I used for their heads (sadie and sam for genesis) is the only morph that genX could not transfer geerating an out of specification error. 
    And even riversofts scrips have that same issue. 
    ---
    I have sort of a work around now if I really need the flexiblity of later generations I have a gensis 8 body with an invisible head with the genesis characters head with an invisible body parented on to the head. 
    ---
    The frame around the picture is where the icons are on my desktop. 
    I did get a workable fennic fox using one of the genesis fantasy morph sets. 

x8gti5g 2h1m just visible stuff 4kx2k number 2white.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    hoon night close 4w.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 904K
    Post edited by alan bard newcomer on