Setup question for new computer

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi. I'm going to be setting up a new computer and installing all my DAZ & Carrara content fresh with DAZ DIM.

The new computer has a small 120GB SSD, which has Windows 7 Pro on it, and a nice nVidia card with CUDA

I also have 2 1TB 7200RRM SATA drives with 3GB/sec transfer,
and 1 750GB SATA drive with 6GB/sec transfer.

The main software I use is:
DAZ 4.6 Pro, and C8.5 Pro, primarily for animations
Adobe CS6 Master Suite for post work and video composition
Sonar Cakewalk X2 for Music composition and recording
Miscrosoft Office 2013

Any suggestions of the best way to set this system up - particularly steps I need to take before I start installing DAZ content.

Are there any programs I should install on the small SSD? (roughly 50GB of 111GB are still available)

Should I install the rest of my programs (or all of them) on my 750 GB 6GB/sec drive?

And should I then change one of me 1TB Sata 3GB/sec drives to the default location for My Documents / My Videos etc - and for all of the DAZ content? (have seen different recommendations on how to do that - switch default locations - welcome any recommendations on that as well)

Haven't done this before, and would like to try to get it right the first time. Appreciate any help (including useful links).

Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited December 1969

Your OS and your page file will take up most of your SSD. I would keep the applications and data on one TB drive, and use the other TB for backup. Backing up is wise. I would use the 750 as a scratch (temp) drive. Personally I would ignore all those "My" dirs. But that's just me.