New to this

DRxDONDRxDON Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have Carrera 8 and, believe it or not, have never used it for character posing or animation. I was mainly into trueSpace when I got it YEARS ago and then I got a tiring job that took away from my CG time. Now I want to get into character modeling and I got DS and downloaded some old free and inexpensive content. I looked in my Carrara's Content tab and it's completely blank. No characters, clothes, props,... NADA! There's not even any Options shown to import anything. When I set it up before I even think I remember seeing it install some figures and stuff too. I actually upgraded from C7 and there's nothing in that one's Content folder either. Please advise.
Thanks

Comments

• NexySaloonNexySaloon Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

See the bar that say Scenes Objects Shaders Clip Misc Artwork Content?
    To the right of it is a small black circle, left click, choose Add Runtime, and tell it where to find it.
    You can import things with upper left corner File> Import> tell it where to find x.
    Hope this helps! -Nexy

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

DeCarlo said:
    See the bar that say Scenes Objects Shaders Clip Misc Artwork Content?
    To the right of it is a small black circle, left click, choose Add Runtime, and tell it where to find it.
    You can import things with upper left corner File> Import> tell it where to find x.
    Hope this helps! -Nexy

if that not enough help - look in this thread -
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/

• DRxDONDRxDON Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nexy, The Add Runtime and AutoDetect Runtime options are greyed-out...

edited December 1969

DRxDON said:

DUH! I didn't have the content tab clicked! ;-(

edited December 1969

DRxDON said:
    DRxDON said:

Where does DS store its Runtime material? I looked in the DS folder and Users/DAZ/Studio/Runtime folder and could find any "valid" Runtime Objects...

edited December 1969

DRxDON said:
    DRxDON said:
    DRxDON said:

Where does DS store its Runtime material? I looked in the DS folder and Users/DAZ/Studio/Runtime folder and could find any "valid" Runtime Objects...

Oh yeah, I'm using Widows 7.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Are you using Carrara 8 or Carrara 8.5?

edited January 2014

I have Carrara 8. What I really need to know, though... I think, is where does DS put its content runtime after it downloads and installs it.

I have a question for ya, Evilproducer: how do you make your "torch fire" undulate like that? Are you animating the fall-off and/or the scale or rotation of the fire object... or something else? It looks really cool! :-)

Thanks

Post edited by DRxDON on
    edited December 1969

DRxDON said:
    I have Carrara 8. What I really need to know, though... I think, is where does DS put its content runtime after it downloads and installs it.

I have a question for ya, Evilproducer: how do you make your "torch fire" undulate like that? Are you animating the fall-off and/or the scale or rotation of the fire object... or something else? It looks really cool! :-)

Thanks

I can't really answer directly about where D/S sticks its stuff as I don't use it. I do know that C8 used Collada to import D/S scenes, but as I recall, Carrara doesn't natively read D/S files like it does Poser files, so the D/S specific files won't show up in the Content Browser. C8.5 has some significant differences in how it integrates with D/S, but I have no personal knowledge or experience with it as I'm using C7.2 Pro for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the compliments on the torch fire. :) The fire is Carrara's fire primitive. You can animate it over time. It just takes a bit of testing to find the right balance of the various parameters. You can get some nice effects with it, but there are some caveats: It doesn't react to scene forces or physics, it doesn't have parameters to fake forces like wind.

The video I posted uses three other elements to help sell it. I used a particle emitter to send up a few sparks, I used a bulb light near the base of the flame with a 3D light sphere to add an additional level of "heat", and I added an animated gel to the bulb to simulate the flickering on the wall. That is probably the crappiest part, as it was a quicko' hack. I also changed the brightness of the bulb at the end of the animation and used an oscillating tweener to vary the "flicker" over the course of the animation.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

He Evil, I use since always the post production to create explosions, flames, smoke etc… but when I see the excellent quality of your torch, I would like more explanations to arrive at this result!
    Can one have a capture of screen of your adjustments in the particles?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

DRxDON said:

Default installation by the DAZ Install manager:
    Documents > My DAZ 3D Library

To add the runtime, select that folder (My DAZ 3D Library) to your content tab using the 'Add Runtime' command as mentioned earlier.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Note that, in Windows, it's public documents, not "My Documents"

edited December 1969

He Evil, I use since always the post production to create explosions, flames, smoke etc… but when I see the excellent quality of your torch, I would like more explanations to arrive at this result!
    Can one have a capture of screen of your adjustments in the particles?

If I can find the original scene file! If not, I may have some time to recreate it. I'll post it in a different thread so as not to derail this one.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Dartanbeck.

Evil, I'd like to see that too. If you post it, please leave a message here. I tried the fire and all I get is a rather staid looking flame with streaming flames going up vertically, whereas yours looks more real and "undulating". Did you animate any of the other parameters besides the 'completion' one?
    Thanks

edited December 1969

I've posted a thread about the torch fire. Here's the link:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/35229/

Hopefully you'll find it useful!