Carrara Sene Recover after crash???

LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Howdy Everyone,

I was working on a scene tonight, when Carrara 8.5 crashed. I was just in the assemble room, trying out different types of hair, when it locked up. I had to kill the program using Task Manager. Is there anyway to recover my work using the data in the DazTMP folder, or am I going to have to start from scratch? Thanks in advance for any help!

Rich S.

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I am sorry for you but I am sure that it is not possible…
    I often had this problem which is unresolved, except making incremental safeguards very regularly.
    The autosavings in background would be the welcomes!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

I agree.... it's happened to me so much in the past until I got more memory. It can still happen now sometimes, especially if I start messing about with shader sliders! So I try to save every few mins.

Autosave WOULD BE VERY NICE.... wish it will come in the next build. You'd think it would have been in Pro's last release. Can't be that difficult.

Please accept my sympathies...it's so frustrating but you just have to write it off and start again and SAVE SAVE SAVE!

;) SileneUK

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Autosave is a dream I believe, because some projects take much time to be recorded and there would be risks of error into the writing file if there are calculations in the same time (Physics, simulations, or simply to read an animation).
    But it would be possible that the software proposes to the user (with a splatch screen) to regularly safeguard, for example all the 5 or 10 minutes (decided in the preferences), we accepts or not, because when we are concentrated on some work, the time passes very very very quickly and we don't thing about anythings else…
    But, we could also imagine that the software benefits from the moment of inactivity to record the project…:)

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies :-) I kind of figured I would have to start from scratch. I have an older scene file saved, and will just rework from there. I have noticed that Carrara is prone to crashing when you switch to the "object" tab. If I stay away from there, it seems to be Ok. Thanks again!

Rich S.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Autosave is a dream I believe, because some projects take much time to be recorded and there would be risks of error into the writing file if there are calculations in the same time (Physics, simulations, or simply to read an animation).
    But it would be possible that the software proposes to the user (with a splatch screen) to regularly safeguard, for example all the 5 or 10 minutes (decided in the preferences), we accepts or not, because when we are concentrated on some work, the time passes very very very quickly and we don't thing about anythings else…
    But, we could also imagine that the software benefits from the moment of inactivity to record the project…:)

Splash screen reminder....good idea to include in Preferences! I agree...you get so focused on what you are doing, you forget to save.

:) SileneUK