Table Lamp and Uber Light

jrlaudiojrlaudio Posts: 47

Hi all,

DAZ Studio 4.6 question here.

I can build skin textures that look real, but for some reason I cannot wrap my head around something as getting a simple table lamp to work like a real one.

It's a basic table lamp with a base, shade and even a bulb, as separate surfaces. Now I have applied an Uber light to the surface but I just can't figure out how to make it work. Emit light specifically.

Let's assume I know nothing. I want the lamp to glow and emit light into the room, create shadows and illuminate objects and figures, just like a real table lamp. Now how do I do this; step by step. I feel like an idiot. I should know this.

I have attached a quick render of the lamp in question (actually it's from a bedroom set by TruForms). For reference, it's sitting on an end table with an alarm clock and a wall behind it. You can see the uber light surface is glowing, but I can't remember how to make it it emit light. I have done nothing but but apply the Uberlight shader to the bulb surface. The "ambient" is already up. Is there another shader I have to apply maybe? The light you do see at the lamp base is from a simulated sunlight distant light shining in from a window and some ambient environment light fixtures, so the render is a little dark. I plan to light the scenes with the actual lamps in the scene, with extra key lighting and environment lights as needed.

Additionally, I would like to "see" the bulb through the shade, have the shade and wire supports cast shadows, etc. All the things a real lamp does. So something has to be adjusted with the lampshade surface as well, I'm sure. I have DAZ Studio 4.6 with no plugins or mods other than what comes with it, and no other CG software (except Gimp).

I am sure this is DAZ Studio 101 stuff, but I never had to deal with this before so I just don't know how to do it. I have performed a search for this and can't find anything useful or that worked. If someone who knows could be so kind as to take me through this step by step I would be very appreciative. I have a number of lamps (for an entire house) I have to do this for so once I know how I can move on ...

I hate brain farts and senior moments.

Thanks

lamp1.jpg
346 x 655 - 172K
Post edited by jrlaudio on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited January 2014

Have a read through this thread for getting a translucent lampshade.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15128/

As to using a light emitting surface...lower polygon count items make better emitters...so if yo want a light bulb to light the scene, you would probably be better off parenting a point light to it instead of trying to make it an emitter.

But if you do want to use area lights, there are a number of things to play with to get the settings right, they aren't simply point and shoot.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

With ubsersurface you have to turn the intensity way way way up. Think 3000 and higher. Your also going to need to make adjustments to samples (I think it is) so that your render is not grainy.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

One other thing, that I've occasionally actually managed to make work — turn down opacity a bit and maybe add a little ambient in the lightshade material, to simulate the glow of light showing through it.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited January 2014

I would add Area Light Base to the Light Bulb Glass or use an Area Light Sphere with Fathom turned on ( Tutorial Uber Area Lighting: The Basics )

As for the Light Shade Uber Surface will do a Translucency for you no problem and possibly a set the Opacity to 95%. AOA SSS Shader Base will do the light shade better from what I have seen but with not being able to play with the new Shader I have no idea how to do it.

For Uber Surface you could plug the texture map in to the Translucency Colour channel.

Post edited by Szark on