Export - Import obj, how do I preserve morphs?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited September 2019 in Bryce Discussion

Greetings.

I created a base human mesh, rigged it, and posed it, in another program (Carrara).  I also created a head morph for a 1970s style ape for "planet of the apes".  I saved it as an obj making sure to check "export objects with morphs and skinning."  When I try to import the obj in Bryce, the pose is preserved (skinning) but not my ape head morph. 

Any idea why the obj transfer is recognizing the pose export but not the morph export, given that I am checking "export objects with morphs and skinning"?

Also tried collada dae with no success.

Base mesh

Planet of the Apes Morph (and costume attached)

Export Import dialogue

import obj to Bryce and see that the pose (skinning) worked

But test render shows that the ape head morph did not transfer with the obj export import

base mesh.JPG
591 x 736 - 63K
base mesh morphed.JPG
559 x 444 - 26K
base mesh export dialog.JPG
416 x 526 - 38K
base mesh pose preserved.JPG
1294 x 759 - 186K
bas emesh ape morph not preserved.JPG
754 x 512 - 25K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Carrara 8.5 to Bryce 7.1, this is NOT a Daz figure.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    edited September 2019

I have no idea but maybe try loading it in DAZ studio and using the Bryce bridge

or loading it into another modelling program and saving it

I suspect Bryce sees some things from Carrara other programs don't so it needs the Carrara stuff completely removed so it's a pure generic object 

also don't use the DAZ studio preset try the default 

that might add information too

a round trip back into Carrara as an obj might work too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

I'm afraid you need to bake morph into static obj (?)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,103

I'm not of help here since I never made something like that. Try to import it to another application (e.g. Hex, DS, etc). It may be that the morphs are not included in the OBJ mesh or Bryce cannot interpret it if this is a newer feature in OBJ.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thanks all.  I'll try some ideas. 

• Really wish I could be helpful here, you're so helpful to everyone else. I remember having a similar issue some time ago ...years naturally, and I'm not fully convinced I ever found a solution. I will experiment again. I do think that baking the morph into the static obj might be helpful.