Add Real-Life Textures To An Object

Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 855
edited January 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Yesterday I had to create an picture of books in a slipcase for a web site. First I took a photo of the slipcase and extracted it from the background with Photoshop. I thought it would be nice to put this extracted "box" on an imaginary floor, that would reflect the box a bit (see the added picture, which I made entirely in Photoshop). When I thought about how to do it Bryce came into my mind, because Bryce has a ground plane and reflective materials. It is totally suited for this kind of job. But I realized I cannot simply use the extracted slipcase. I experimented with a cube and a 2D face textured with the extraced box. You already know the end of the story, it did not work at all.

Do I have to rebuild the entire box in Bryce (o.k. that would be easy because it is a simple cube ;-) ? And for texturing is it best to take a photo from the side, the front and the top? And how do I put them on the cube?

Thanks in advance for any hint.

cuhga_imschuber_klein.jpg
153 x 177 - 12K
Post edited by Electro-Elvis on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2014

Basically you need the cube to be UV mapped.

I rember doing this once with the default poser cube, took it into UV mapper (free version0 and made some uv coordinates for it, and then generated a UV map

box_1.png
    512 x 512 - 5K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

I might very well be mistaken but doesn't David have a tutorial on how to put a picture on a cube...or didn't Dave tell us that.. somebody did...Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

A little late to this post…
    I've been trying to learn Modo's UV mapping system and I thought modeling this would provide some good practice. The images show the UV template, the texture map (both reduced in size for this forums) and rendered in Bryce7.1.
    If you like to have what I've done PM me with your E-mail addy or I could also post it to ShareCG.
    Thanks for the post - doing this was lot of fun.

books_in_a_box.jpg
    800 x 800 - 40K
    bnb_texture.jpg
    360 x 360 - 8K
    bnb_template.jpg
    360 x 360 - 13K