Standardize Movement Interfaces - DAZ, Bryce and Hexagon

It would be nice if the movement interfaces for DAZ, Bryce and Hexagon were ALL the same.  It can be frustrating when jumping between these applications.  The icons don't even look similar.  I realize they came from different production sources, but since DAZ has them now, it would be nice to bring them all together.

Examples:  It would be nice to do surface selections the same way in all 3.  Rotation gimbals could all work and look the same.  Zoom, move up/down/left/right using the keyboard all the same keystrokes.  Mouse interface the same between the three.  Etc.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Be fine as long as they make them all the same as Bryce.   

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

You forgot Carrara (or it's similar to one of above?)! crying

Unified interface/controls might be helpful, but i they should be an option, and not a total replacement (so you won't alienate those who prefers/used to this or that).

Chohole said:

However i would say that i would be glad if Bryce could take some hints from DAZ Studio or Hex in regards to more freely viewport controls and better workflow with keyboard'n'mouse shortcuts and combinations.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

Really, I kind of wish Daz would just fold the functionality of Hexagon and Bryce into DS. If they could do that without rendering DS utterly unusable, DS would be far more competitive with professional 3D programs like Max, Maya or C4D. I recognize that that’s a really big “if”, though, and if I had to choose, I would keep the ease of use DS currently has. 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    akmerlow said:

You forgot Carrara (or it's similar to one of above?)! crying

Unified interface/controls might be helpful, but i they should be an option, and not a total replacement (so you won't alienate those who prefers/used to this or that).

Chohole said:

However i would say that i would be glad if Bryce could take some hints from DAZ Studio or Hex in regards to more freely viewport controls and better workflow with keyboard'n'mouse shortcuts and combinations.

Daz Studio is the new kid on the block,  Bryce is over 20 years old,   Carrara is not much younger.   Some things are just not going to change, some probably are not able to change,  and I sigh a great sigh of relief at that.  I have been using Bryce since 1997, when the first stable release for the windows platform was released and I still enjoy using it. And I don't think I am the only person who prefers the Bryce UI to the DS one. 

edited September 2019

For me personally, the most difficult UI and controls are in Zbrush.

Doesn't matter if you are used to 3ds max, maya, carrara, poser, bryce, hex, softimage xsi, wings3d, c4d, rhinocerus, modo...

...zbrush will make you cursing and crying within 5 minutes laugh

It's (zbrush) a great tool with amazing possibilities, but imho it's ui and controls are the most alien thing i ever experienced angry  everything works and moves and behaves NOT like it's usually done in 3d editors (including simplified 3d editors that are for making levels of videogames, like unreal engine editor or valve hammer or quark/radiant)

I may feel panic from Blenders endless screens (i kind of liked blender in 2007, but i feel totally lost when i launch modern build) or Max's "to do thing, go into menu 5, enable button 8, then go to menu 4 and you can get yourself menu 12, which will show only if you select", but all of that pales in comparison to helpless feel when in zbrush most basic actions are not doable as its usually done, and you can do crazy mess of "what is happening?!".

Ofc all of this is totally subjective and just my experience. It might be very comfortable if you are used to it, but if you are coming from more conventional 3d software, your muscle memory will betray you...

And DS uiux is mostly straightforward to me unlike some of those, yeah......

Anyway, i initially talked about things that makes ux easier. Like ctrl+ different mouse keys allowing to pan, zoom or rotate. Or how selecting object allows you to autocenter "working" camera to it, and you can clock to "find object". Or very fast keyboard shortcuts which are helpful.  Etc. etc. Ironically, zbrush is heavily based on such (as opposed of clicking icons more or changong menu settings more), and in case with it difference between behaviour of such commands is striking when you come from Hex or smth and try to pan viewport and rotate, and get totally not working results or some weird things.

And I don't think I am the only person who prefers the Bryce UI to the DS one. 

That's why i say if changes will be made, they should be a selectable option. Also Bryce UI is part of it's soul.

And Kai Krause creative legacy

https://mprove.de/script/99/kai/index.html

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849
    Chohole said:

As long as Byce will be using an industry standard interface I have no problem with that.

edited September 2019
    Ascania said:

As long as Byce will be using an industry standard interface I have no problem with that.

You mean like those?

crying

The thing is, Bryce is inspiring, and it's interface and labs is part of what makes it inspire.

While how comfortable it is, that's subjectively and debatable, i guess? As different people prefer different ergonomics.

Dave Savage said:

And quote from video with Kai Krause above

Kai Krause said:

“The interface is the padded cell, you just can't hurt yourself. Whatever you do, it invites you to play with the buttons and click on everything.”

wink

You know what? "Industry standard" is not a standard. It's result of commercial success of certain apps (LightWave? Max?) that lead to other apps making similar interface based on it.

In alternative reality, it's Bryce interface that is standard. laugh

p.s.

And Artmatic seems to be lost between these two opposites.

p.s.s.

Or StrataVision was the influencer of "industry"?

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

This would be great ONLY if they were optional. I used to use Bryce in the dark ages but got more into DAZ and got used to it. Now mind you, iI would LOVE some of the Bryce and Hex tools in DAZ but IU would hate having to relearn the controls of a program I am used to.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

No one said to get rid of Bryce or Carrara but folding their functionality & Hexagon's into DAZ Studio and leaving those froze as they've been for a few years now ain't hurting nothing. Anyway, with the new animation enhancements in DAZ Studio & SBH & ...it's pretty clear that's what's happening with Carrara. I'd like to see Bryce render engine folded into DAZ but a not so weird way of making landscapes.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

No one said to get rid of Bryce or Carrara but folding their functionality & Hexagon's into DAZ Studio and leaving those froze as they've been for a few years now ain't hurting nothing. Anyway, with the new animation enhancements in DAZ Studio & SBH & ...it's pretty clear that's what's happening with Carrara. I'd like to see Bryce render engine folded into DAZ but a not so weird way of making landscapes.

Actually, the landscape "painter" for lack of a better term is something i would LOVE to add to DAZ. An elevation map terrain creator combined with Ultra Scatter Por and volumetrics would be a show stopper. :)

• I just wish Daz shaders could be used in hex