Why not make Bryce Free?

2»

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109

Slepalex - you need a HDRI with a high dynamic range, a very bright key light (the sun here has a value of 83.75, 255 is 1.000). The one I used for the example has 347,810:1. If the dynamic range is lower than around 10,000, you only get ambient light. Remember that obscure light needs the HDRI from inside and TA optimisation disabled - and the radial named Background included.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 2019
    Horo said:

Slepalex - you need a HDRI with a high dynamic range, a very bright key light (the sun here has a value of 83.75, 255 is 1.000). The one I used for the example has 347,810:1. If the dynamic range is lower than around 10,000, you only get ambient light. Remember that obscure light needs the HDRI from inside and TA optimisation disabled - and the radial named Background included.

Horo, I did just that with my external HDRIs. I have not reached the result. I also did not achieve the result with the HDRI from Bryce Sky.
    How to determine the dynamic range of HDRI?
    In your picture there is no shadow from the "sun" and also there is no shadow from the reflected "sun".
    Does the mirror material have a “cast a shadow" property?
    And yes, a discussion of this issue is worthy of a separate thread.

Post edited by Slepalex on
    edited December 2019

Slepalex - HDRI from Bryce sky - or any render - has not enough power. It needs many renders under different light that are added (emulating several exposures of photographs), it's a bit tricky. I use the Reinhard tone-mapper Plugin in HDRShop to measure the lowest and highest pixel values in the image and calculate the dynamic range.

I have a link to a video and a PDF about the Magic Mirror: Video: http://horo.ch/docs/video/horo_en.html
    PDF: Transcript PDF: https://horo.ch/docs/video/pdf/Transcript_MagicMirror.pdf

Since I have your email address, I just sent you a link to the Bryce file so you can look at it and experiment.

Post edited by Horo on
  • foleyprofoleypro Posts: 455
    Horo said:

Well said...I do wish they would start us up again the Bryce steering committee again...we had a ton of fun...

Horo said:

Eva1 - It's not actually expensive at $19.95 without discount but considering that Daz didn't touch it in over 8 years it wouldn't be amiss to give it away for free - or make it at least 10 times more expensive and give it a go to remove the bugs and bring it up to date.

Hey Brian, nice to see you here, it's been a while.

• Horo said:

odd how you all want to stick to CPU though devil

I already use my favourite program Carrara with a GPU renderer Octane

I do use the other engines too but I like the choice

A GPU can (currently) not render using raytracing, only path-tracing. Reflecting surfaces mirror the object in front of them but do not reflect light. If an object is lit from behind, it appears unlit in the mirror. So you place a light behind the mirror to fake reflecting light. You need to be careful with placing the light so that the object is not illuminated face-on but according to how it would be lit in a true mirror depending on where the light source actually is.

Bryce can illuminate an object by light reflection in a mirror. The picture shows the scene above with the sun (a bright light source in the HDRI) at right. This sun is reflected in the mirror and it illuminates the face of the object that faces the mirror, not the sun. Looking at the picture below at left could make you think the object is illuminated and shown so in the mirror (at left mirror, at right object). When the mirror is removed (lower right), only the ambient light remains and there is no strong sunlight on the face of the object.

Bryce Light

• really nice work wow !!!!

what where your settings if i may ask , please

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited February 2020

@Horo, real time raytrace rendering is a thing now with the RTX 20 series NVIDIA GPU'S ...Very fast!.....it dose a fantstic job of it to!!!

Post edited by Tim82 on

rigomrtsfx - the objects are simple primitives. Adjusting the HDRI is tricky. Otherwise, it's just rendered with the Obscure Light method. HDRI must have a high dynamic range, the example has 350,000:1 and a bright light source (the sun), it is Inside without TA optimization. Around the scene a radial without light, named Background, only object included, True Ambience Optimization, Use Gel (white Diffuse with full Diffusion). Rendered Premium with True Ambience, Scattering Correction, Boost light and Reflection Correction, 256 Rays per pixel. There is link to a video and a PDF on my website: Bryce & 3D CG Documents > Videos > Horo: More Videos, 13. Magic Mirror.

Tim82 - yes, I'm aware of the progress. However, only a part is ray-traced, most is still path-traced. There's nothing wrong with path-tracing. It is much faster because it only looks what the camera can see. That's why you need reflection and specular maps. Because of its speed, it's ideal for animation and games. The beholder is engaged in the action and doesn't scrutinize each frame. Ray-tracing looks around the whole scene and thus also includes reflections and specular highlights from outside the camera view. This takes very much longer to calculate but the result is more accurate - or better: less flawed - and therefore good for stills where the beholder looks long at the picture and has time to find inconsistencies. No method is better but one better suited for the task than the other. After all, it is always a cheat.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

@Horo, that is very true!!!

• the forward slash got me into this forum so now the Brycers can access it while it stays on the first page enlightened