Brickyard temporary files while rendering with 3Delight stand alone.

gabriel.delacruzgabriel.delacruz Posts: 82
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello!

I cannot render with 3Dlight stand alone unless I have my file open in Daz studio, otherwise I get an error like this:
3DL ERROR S2050: cannot find shader 'brickyard/{d3469543-45b1-4422-8993-be57ff089539}/shader_Surface', will use 'defaultsurface'

If I would open Daz studio and make a render with the RenderToRib settings, the directory at /Users/(Username)/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/ get populated and I can do the render.

How can I make a render without Daz Studio loaded? I am using a mac laptop for modeling, but I am wiling to make the render in a different system. Is there a way to collect all the files so I don't have to struggle with dependencies?

Tnks!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Render to a folder that you set up specifically for that render. The files in that directory you listed get erased when DS is closed; it's the temporary directory.

Under the checkbox for "Render to RIB' should be a box to allow you to enter a file name. To the right of that will be a box you can click on that will open a dialog box to allow you to chose a directory, failing to chose a specific directory dumps everything into the temp folder.

• gabriel.delacruzgabriel.delacruz Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

I choose render to rib
    Choose a directory, add a file name,

As well I tried using "Collect and localize"..

It does not work, still uses the temporary files and it will only render if Daz is open...

If I click collect it creates a folder with a lot of files.

Could this be happening because of using the shadermixer?, do I need to manually install my shader somewhere?

edited December 1969

If you aren't collecting, then everything is going to be in the temp folder....

Are you rendering the RIB fille inside the 'collected' folder?

The one outside is always going to point to the temp files or the original locations (maybe...most often it's temp). So you need to use the other RIB, the one with the collected files.

As to ShaderMixer...no, you won't need to do anything special to it. What's happening, specifically with it, is that it is being compiled by DS, but the only compiled version is the one sent to the RIB location (the temp files and the collected folder), so when the temp files get emptied, if you are using the RIB that points to them, means it has vanished.

edited December 1969

Ok, thanks, I am now starting to understand, there is another rib file... however a new problem... the rib file inside the folder is empty :_(
    Tried creating the folder a few times and no rib file within that folder is populated with any data.

Anyhow I noticed that rib files are text editable, so I can try to manually point the rib file outside the folder to the files inside... however it is a pain to do it manually..
    It is extrange that the file has no data...

edited December 1969

Are you using a unique folder name each time or are you writing to the same folder?

I noticed an oddity with the way DS does this...if the file exists, it won't be overwritten, if it's inside the collected folder. So, if for some reason, the first time you ended up with an empty file, the other tries won't overwrite it...delete the folder between tries or at the minimum, the contained rib file.

edited December 1969

The file is empty no matter what I do... uh..

edited December 1969

The file is empty no matter what I do... uh..

Try creating a folder somewhere else...like maybe your desktop, to send the 'render to rib' files to.

• Neil ClennanNeil Clennan Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

I'm having the same issue as the original poster. I can add a few details. I can select any folder i want or create a new, empty folder for the purpose and it select it, the results are the same. Specifically, with "collect and localize" selected, selecting an empty folder, and naming the file "MyPicture.rib", a rib file is created in the indicated folder with the indicated name, plus a folder called "MyPicture_collected". That folder contains a lot of tdl files and a few sdl files, plus a file called "MyPicture.rib" which, as the original poster indicated, is empty.

Using a text editor and global find-and-replace commands, I have been able to get the rib files to reference the collected files instead of the temp files, but of course, this should not be necessary. The writing of the rib file that references the temp files and the creation of an empty rib file are clearly bugs in the software that should be addressed. Now I just need to find the right place to report the bug.

While some of the rib files are rendering fine after editing, there still appear to be other problems with the rib files, even after editing, which are throwing errors and causing some scenes to be rendered incorrectly. An example error that might mean something to someone is...

3DL WARNING S2073: 'elr_Glossiness_b2_t0' is not a parameter of shader 'Howler_collected/shader_Surface'

"Howler.rib" being the name of the rib file.

• Neil ClennanNeil Clennan Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

I sent this in to the help center on December 28 and I got a reply on January 6. Sorry for taking so long to post this follow up to this thread, but here is what they said:

"Sorry for the trouble using RIB. I have tested out the RIB function and this appears to be a problem localized to the Mac platform. The Collect and Localize button should create a folder that has the required information and a RIB file that does not need DAZ studio to be open. This RIB file is not compiling correctly on the Mac platform. I am going to submit this bug to the dev team so they can fix the bug. As soon as I hear back from the dev team I will let you know. Sorry for the inconvenience."