a quick 5min bryce question ..

sweetsunnysidesweetsunnyside Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hello all,

When you done a scene/background and the whole thing crashes or computer decides to update without warning losing everything you done how do you stop this happening please? So that when you open the software it loads up what you was doing last

thank you
:)

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,276
    edited December 1969

@sweetsunnyside - save your scene regularly and often. For each save, give the file a new file name. If you start with Myfile1, Bryce will automatically make it Myfile2, Myfile3 etc.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Hello all,

When you done a scene/background and the whole thing crashes or computer decides to update without warning losing everything you done how do you stop this happening please? So that when you open the software it loads up what you was doing last

thank you

I turned off the automatic updates since it messed with the overnight renders. And... put a number on the end of your filename for the scene and use, "save as", regularly, Bryce will automatically update the number so you have multiple saves to go back to. You can also, providing you are not using "render to disc" pause the render and save a partially rendered out scene, then "resume rendering". Practice this before you use it on a seriously long render. And you can go back to what you have saved and see that it will automatically resume rendering.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2014

Hello all,

thank you

I turned off the automatic updates since it messed with the overnight renders. And... put a number on the end of your filename for the scene and use, "save as", regularly, Bryce will automatically update the number so you have multiple saves to go back to. You can also, providing you are not using "render to disc" pause the render and save a partially rendered out scene, then "resume rendering". Practice this before you use it on a seriously long render. And you can go back to what you have saved and see that it will automatically resume rendering.

And with my penchant for liking screen shots, I add this

bryce_resume_render.jpg
    213 x 550 - 53K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • sweetsunnysidesweetsunnyside Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for replies-

@Horo- 'save your scene regularly and often' am i doing something wrong with the saves? i'm saving has bitmap/photoshop and bryce but once the computer auto switched off and i tried to reload scene/background it wouldn't let me change anything this is what i'm doing-

'file' opening file name it loads fine, will render fine, and i can edit all, but if i open a file i have saved has photoshop or bitmap it will not edit or render, i'm guessing i need to make sure file is always saved as a bryce file as back up and make a copy under photoshop incase of crashe/s so will load back up, seems silly i guess saving same scene twice incase of needing to edit or re-render later,

@ David thank you for render info, and chohole ... shame it doesn't auto load back up like photoshop does, ....don't you just love electric meters when your electric suddenly goes hahaha, yeah half way through something you half way through rendering at the time of it happening lol, *note to self to change to bill get rid of electric meter it;s crumbling up my scenes and renders!

thank you all have a nice day

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,276
    edited December 1969

@sweetsunnyside - instead of double clicking on the br7 file, start Bryce and load the file. When I open a scene directly, it sometimes just starts rendering the already rendered scene. This doesn't happen if I start Bryce and load the file. Also, if you scene can't be edited anymore - who knows what happens when the power fails - load a previous file. Additionally, I have issues with the default scene or any loaded one when the HD was switched off (curse those economizers) and starts when Bryce loads. In these cases, I quit Bryce and launch it again. If I don't do that some random controls refuse to work.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

There are several ways to stop a render once it has begun, but not every method retains the render progress upon saving the file. For example, one can "stop" a render simply by clicking on the screen during the rendering process. This is the method I most often use. So long as the session is still active, you can simply press the resume render button above as Chohole's image demonstrates. However, this is assuming you are not saving the file before resuming the render. You will find that if you save the scene, close the scene, then re-open the scene and attempt to resume render it will start from scratch. This is because merely clicking on the screen while its rendering is not the way to tell Bryce to save the render progress.

Best method is to press Esc while the render is working. For some reason Esc tells Bryce to save the render progress with the file such that you can then close and re-open the scene later and still resume rendering where you left off. Hope this helps.