New moon map resources from NASA

evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
edited October 2019 in Carrara Discussion

Hey all, NASA released some highly detailed moon maps, including displacement maps. See the link below:
https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4720

Here is a looping GIF that I made as an experiment.

Edit: I'm not sure why it isn't animated. How are they supposed to be uploaded? sad

Moon.gif
480 x 360 - 2M
Post edited by evilproducer on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

try DeviantArt

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

try DeviantArt

To upload animated gifs?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

try DeviantArt

To upload animated gifs?

LOL yes

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Edit: I'm not sure why it isn't animated. How are they supposed to be uploaded? sad

This iteration of the Daz forums doesn't support uploading animated gifs. The only animated gif images that reside on the Daz server are the animated avatars that existed before the last forum "upgrade". (You were lucky enough to have one of them. But if you try to change it you'll lose the animation.)

Any other animated gif images that you see here are hosted on various other external servers and then linked to in the forum post. (Such as Wendy's dancing cat-lady, which is hosted on DeviantArt.)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited October 2019

Hey all, NASA released some highly detailed moon maps, including displacement maps. See the link below:

thanks for the heads up....

have now updated my maps for the moon  wink

moon.png
    640 x 480 - 148K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    de3an said:

This iteration of the Daz forums doesn't support uploading animated gifs. The only animated gif images that reside on the Daz server are the animated avatars that existed before the last forum "upgrade". (You were lucky enough to have one of them. But if you try to change it you'll lose the animation.)

Any other animated gif images that you see here are hosted on various other external servers and then linked to in the forum post. (Such as Wendy's dancing cat-lady, which is hosted on DeviantArt.)

animated gifs dont work on rosty neither.

been meaning to try it from the carrara cafe, iirc they have a forums

NASA imagesheartyes

Stezza said:

thanks for the heads up....

have now updated my maps for the moon  wink

moon pizza pie, thats amoré

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited October 2019

Excellent, it's got LRO (Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter) data; it's good to have proper data for the farside and poles. Just one question, which flavour of Displacement map works in D|S? There are two different types supplied.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • Thanks for the HU! Downloading now :-)

Well, that's interesting, although in hindsight maybe not too surprising. I just had time for some test renders, and both displacement maps work. I put them into the Bump slot, since Iray makes a hash of displacement on a low-res sphere mesh. The floating-point one rendered with the bump a bit harsh, needing turned down a bit, and the signed integer one needed the bump value turned up all the way to 50.

Looks nice when I render with a black background and a single Distant light. Maybe I'll haul out those old Apollo models and convert them properly to Iray materials.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Just now got around to playing with the moon image maps.

Neat.

de3an said:

Just now got around to playing with the moon image maps.

Neat.

kewl!!

edited October 2019

Very nice animations; especially the play of shadows around crater rims and mountains as the terminator (not you, Arnold) zips round and round.

Something extra I'll have to try out, maybe later tonight. Earthshine.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on