4.12 advanced timeline losing objects

lasersayspewlasersayspew Posts: 71

I have 4 figures in my scene, but only one of them is present on the timeline for some reason. Frames do save for each of them, but I can't add/remove key frames for 3 others. The button to add a keyframe is simply inactive. And when I choose one of the 3 figures timeline looks like I didn't choose anything at all. How do I add them?

Edit. Now all 4 figures are missing. They are present at the animate tab but not on timeline. Even if I turn off advanced view, it doesn't show their keyframes. They are there, they work but I can't see them, can't delete or add new ones.

Edit2. Tried reloading scene, restarting DS. It appears that if I hide ANY object in the scene and refresh timeline, it also hides it. But when I make it visible again, refreshing the timeline doesn't return it. 

Post edited by lasersayspew on

Comments

• The new timeline is annoying in how this works. The figure selected in the scene is the one that shows in the timeline. If you select another firgure you can then work with it.

• That's the problem. It's NOT how it works. I select a figure and it's NOT on the timeline. Actually, I just managed to remove everything from the timeline. The whole scene exists with tens or even hunderds of objects yet advanced timeline shows that the scene is empty. 

It's supposed to show every object at the same time as keymate did. Too bad it doesn't. xD

https://i.imgur.com/7OmKMbp.png Look! Timeline is empty, I can't even refresh it anymore.

• Basic View (pane options > Advanced View action unchecked)

• Functionally the same as previous versions

Also, that's the basic view I've got in 4.12, wouldn't call it the same as previous versions. Where are all the buttons? xD Is it me? Does anyone else have this problem? 

• It might be some interaction with animate I don't know. My timeline looks very different. These are all the same scene with different things selected.

Screenshot 2019-10-09 00.53.28.png
    1896 x 208 - 18K
    Screenshot 2019-10-09 00.53.40.png
    1741 x 204 - 17K
    Screenshot 2019-10-09 00.53.44.png
    1529 x 198 - 15K
  • lasersayspewlasersayspew Posts: 71
    edited October 2019

Your timeline looks different because I hid the lower part of it(graph) and you didn't. Other than that it's the same. Except all objects on my timeline are gone because there is a bug, I guess. Try parenting genesis 8 female to a group/null/primitive/camera/point light etc. Then hide the parent, Rclick on the timeline -> Refresh -> puff, it's gone. And it won't come back untill you reload the scene. And even then it's not a 100% guarantee. At least that's what happening in my DS. 

I parent all my figures to different group each to be able to hide them with 1 click instead of seperately hiding figure, then hiding each piece of clothing, hair, eyelashes, sometimes eyeballs(creepy). If you save the scene while the parent group of a figure is hidden, when you load the scene the figure is not on the timeline. The group is, the figure is not. If you refresh in this state - the group is gone completely. Only solution is to refresh only when everything is visible and keep reloading scenes all the time.  

Post edited by lasersayspew on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,476

If you save the scene while the parent group of a figure is hidden, when you load the scene the figure is not on the timeline. The group is, the figure is not.

I guess the timeline has issues with groups then. Though from the log it seems they're actually improving it for the next release. Please report this to DAZ and let us know what they say.

Also, that's the basic view I've got in 4.12, wouldn't call it the same as previous versions. Where are all the buttons? xD Is it me? Does anyone else have this problem? 

That looks like my memory of the basic view in older versions of DS - the additional buttons were shown in Advanced view (which has changed between 4.11 and 4.12 - you can't have an "intermediate" view equivalent to the 4.11 Advanced view, as far as I know).

That looks like my memory of the basic view in older versions of DS - the additional buttons were shown in Advanced view (which has changed between 4.11 and 4.12 - you can't have an "intermediate" view equivalent to the 4.11 Advanced view, as far as I know).

Rob confirms that it was coded to match the Basic View in the old Timeline plug-in.

• Your timeline looks different because I hid the lower part of it(graph) and you didn't. Other than that it's the same. Except all objects on my timeline are gone because there is a bug, I guess. Try parenting genesis 8 female to a group/null/primitive/camera/point light etc. Then hide the parent, Rclick on the timeline -> Refresh -> puff, it's gone. And it won't come back untill you reload the scene. And even then it's not a 100% guarantee. At least that's what happening in my DS. 

I parent all my figures to different group each to be able to hide them with 1 click instead of seperately hiding figure, then hiding each piece of clothing, hair, eyelashes, sometimes eyeballs(creepy). If you save the scene while the parent group of a figure is hidden, when you load the scene the figure is not on the timeline. The group is, the figure is not. If you refresh in this state - the group is gone completely. Only solution is to refresh only when everything is visible and keep reloading scenes all the time.  

Yes I have exactly the same problem, it's like every time working with Daz I have to try my luck, hoping that the figure I pick would appear on the timeline to edit the keyframe. If not, I would have to reload the scene again....I've grouped the figure with clothes as one group. It looks like it's a bug. I hope they fix it soon. Very annoying. I hope they can make it as usable as the graph editor on Maya, at least make it possible to edit the curve manually and fix the bug.

• nategovannategovan Posts: 35

Yep, I've just hit this and it's a right pain. Is it filed as a bug to be fixed? Anyone have any workarounds other than no using non-visible groups?

• You only need to restart daz to restore the timeline.

• VoidOVoidO Posts: 47

SOLUTION:

- Move your timeline to frame 0, the beggining of your animation.
    - Select, in the Scene pane, the object missing from the Timeline pane.
    - Press the "Delete" touch on your keyboard, which will delete your object alltogether.
    - Undo (CTRL-Z) which will undo the Delete by putting back the item at the bottom of your scene items, but doing so, will re-add it to the animation timeline.

• VoidO said:

SOLUTION:

- Press the "Delete" touch on your keyboard, which will delete your object alltogether.
    - Undo (CTRL-Z) which will undo the Delete by putting back the item at the bottom of your scene items, but doing so, will re-add it to the animation timeline.

Thank you! This was driving me nuts! How in the world does the UI just lose objects? 

• bluesmebluesme Posts: 6

VoidO said:

SOLUTION:

ALSO(if above doesn't work) make your object SELECTABLE and VISIBLE.

• Version 4.20 and same problem. The solution mentioned above doesn't work anymore either. I'm getting really tired of this software. I spend more time solving such problems than creating what I need

• VoidO solution worked for me on 4.16 today. 
    No reason to update to 4.20 if it isn't working properly...