New PC monitor rcommendation 27"

2»

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited October 2019

I actually have a 27"Philips monitor with inbuilt speakers but its not superHD just 1920 x 1080
    and I find it quite adequate 

Like this one?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-273V7QJAB-27-Inch-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0747VJSL6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=27%22Philips+monitor&qid=1571254801&s=computers&sr=1-3

Need DP port.....  I am nervous about only relying on adaptors so want the DP as well.  indecision  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I actually have a 27"Philips monitor with inbuilt speakers but its not superHD just 1920 x 1080
    and I find it quite adequate 

Like this one?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-273V7QJAB-27-Inch-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0747VJSL6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=27%22Philips+monitor&qid=1571254801&s=computers&sr=1-3

Looks similar

now reading the model number I would need my glasses and torch

3drendero said:
    Mine is updated from 7 and runs Win 10 Pro with Hyper-V. CPU is from 2011, no problems. There still is the old free VirtualPC here https://www.microsoft.com/sv-se/download/details.aspx?id=3702 and the free Virtualbox. You can probably test drive them all with a clone of your disk...

Will ask tekkie... see him tomorrow or Friday after he replaces my power supply (noisy Corsair fan). Upping that as it could be the old one was contributing to the voltage issue for the screen... only a chance, but it's a chance.

yessmiley   Silene

edited October 2019

Damn iOS not only cannot upload images I cannot reference the photo and edit my reply it deletes what I typed and reloads the page

grrrrrrr

meh cannot copy images links anymore either

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/273V5QHAB_75/lcd-monitor-with-led-backlight
    I found it manually writing with a pen and typing in

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Damn iOS not only cannot upload images I cannot reference the photo and edit my reply it deletes what I typed and reloads the page

grrrrrrr

meh cannot copy images links anymore either

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/273V5QHAB_75/lcd-monitor-with-led-backlight
    I found it manually writing with a pen and typing in

Says no longer available on your site.... maybe that was why I could not find exact European model for here... but have added Philips to my list.  TYVM!

yes  Silene

Yeah was just linking the model

are probably better ones around now

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

Greymom  our situations sound similar, so thanks for your input. I was planning to do exactly as you say, use another machine for internet and if I download, transfer via stick, or network.  I have not ever cloned a drive.  Does that preserved licence keys/activation information? Perhaps I will have my tekkie to this for me on his bench and then I can put it away is a sealed plastic bag and hope I don't need it!

So far I have had no problems preserving licenses and activation with Win 7 Pro.  I will try Win 10 testing later.   I used the free versions of Disk Wizard that you can get from the Seagate or Western Digital websites (they work as long as one of their drives is involved in that particular machine).  The paid version of Disk Wizard is even more flexible.   Most recently I used the free version of Macrim Reflect.

Greymom said:

Greymom  our situations sound similar, so thanks for your input. I was planning to do exactly as you say, use another machine for internet and if I download, transfer via stick, or network.  I have not ever cloned a drive.  Does that preserved licence keys/activation information? Perhaps I will have my tekkie to this for me on his bench and then I can put it away is a sealed plastic bag and hope I don't need it!

So far I have had no problems preserving licenses and activation with Win 7 Pro.  I will try Win 10 testing later.   I used the free versions of Disk Wizard that you can get from the Seagate or Western Digital websites (they work as long as one of their drives is involved in that particular machine).  The paid version of Disk Wizard is even more flexible.   Most recently I used the free version of Macrim Reflect.

Greymom...will BE very interested in how that W10 testing turns out. If you don't do it till much later and  don't want to drag up this thread, please feel free to PM me. That would be really helpful to know.  Hope to get my machine back at end of today or tomorrow with new power supply... might solve monitor problem, just a possibility. Still, am keeping options open. enlightened

Have learned loads in this thread... thank you everyone!!!  heart  Silene

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

My problem was that I couldn't seem to find worthy components to fix my Win7 machine. That's why I felt the need to build from scratch again.

Wednesday evening my box arrived from Newegg and had my new Octa-core Ryzen 7 machine up and running that night. What I didn't know is that he (my brother) also ordered me a refurbished 27" Asus monitor, thinking (correctly) that my new GTX 1660 deserves (and wants) a better monitor than my old one.

Turned out that I couldn't even hook up my old monitor as my Ventus GTX only has HDMI outputs. 

Craning my neck to install Windows using an otherwise unused 53" TV as my monitor, I then continued through Thursday to DIM all of my content, sorting it into all of my favorite categories in Postgre. Didn't have much time to play on the new machine.

Friday at work, I got an elsuive text message from Newegg that my package had arrived. Nearly the same time, Rosie sent a text stating that I got a present.

Ummm... I like my new 27" monitor! I still haven't had much time to play yet. I spent a couple hours last night on a new high-rez Rosie 5, who is still in infancy of design. I must say, It's really neat to see 16 threads fly my renders together! 

Oh, and I only had 32GB RAM in the wishlist that my brother ordered for me. Well... he took it upon himself to double that, so my motherboard is maxed out at 64GB.

My previous Carrara machine rocked - I thought. It had the first Octa-core made by AMD, the Zambezi, and 16GB RAM. I had intentions, originally, to double that, but never felt the need. My new Ryzen setup is really nice for me. So far I'm barely touching the RAM, so Win10 takes it upon itself to use 32GB of it to bolster my 6GB GTX graphics card.

Since I haven't had much time with it yet, I haven't touched the settings of Windows 10 yet. I bought the actuall "Full" install on a flash usb, so it (very nicely) didn't come with any spamware. I did uninstall all of the games, Office, and other apps that I won't be using, but that's it. I haven't even checked to see what resolution my new monitor is running on now. I had it set to 1920 x 1080 on the big screen TV, so it's probably still at that - but I don't know. These things are so smart now that it might have switched to a more appropriate resolution when it detected the new monitor.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Nice rig Dart. Should have bumped the monitor to 32 or 43 though...
    3drendero said:
    Nice rig Dart. Should have bumped the monitor to 32 or 43 though...

Lucky you, Dart... but you deserve it!  I hope you give Misty's G3's a try...even if you don't want to try the G8. The facial expressions are so much better with those extra bones.

3drendero...If you are working with a normal desk setup.. I ffound that 32" is just too much in my face as I have to wear reading glasses which have a prescription geared for seat-to-monitor distance.  Even before I had varifocals, I had a 32" one at the shop and it drove me nuts, even using graphics software. Our desks were only standard computer desktop area in size, even if on an elevated part. 

My reading prescription is now built into my varifocals.  So 27" is plenty big for me.  I wonder if split screen or having two monitors would be more useful than just having a big-arse monitor. My production will eventually be for print or perhaps slide-show materials, so I want what I see to be close to what print-out size will be. EG, A3 or A2 (2 x US letter size or 4x US letter size).

Tekkie rang me Friday PM and asked to keep the machine till Monday-Tuesday. They replaced the power supply with a bigger one and found that one side of it was not anchored down (missing screws) and felt perhaps that explained why I was seeing such high temps on some of the Corsair splash screen gauges. It was weird, but I know nothing about those things and assumed high temps were OK for my rig. Guess not.  Can't wait to see if all these little problems being solved will help my AOC monitor perform as it should and not cut out.  Fingers crossed!  I would like to have anothe rmonitor... hmmm.... and run two. We will see. 

Dart,  oddly I don't have HDMI on my Quadro K2200.... just 2 DPs and a DVI.  The monitor came with a full range, even with the old VGA port. Very strange.

indecision  Silene

The main point of a 43 4K screen is to replace 2x22 monitors side by side and have some space above. You can run Carrara, your Photoshop and Video editor at once on screen, without any black bars, dual screen problems or Alt-tabbing. Also doubles as a TV or gaming screen. Example from LG 43er attached
    43UD79-B_30112017_D01.jpg
    940 x 620 - 165K
    edited October 2019
    3drendero said:
    The main point of a 43 4K screen is to replace 2x22 monitors side by side and have some space above. You can run Carrara, your Photoshop and Video editor at once on screen, without any black bars, dual screen problems or Alt-tabbing. Also doubles as a TV or gaming screen. Example from LG 43er attached

But only on W10... right? Out of my price range, anyways.  frown Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    4K screens work on older Windows too.
  • If you are confused among a lot of choice, here are https://x2.games/best-27-inch-gaming-monitor/ the top 3 recommendations for the Best 27 inch gaming monitor you can buy: