Humble Noobie Efforts

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

If there's a better location for a post like this, kindly advise... When I look into the Galleries I can only hang my head in shame, it would take me a lifetime to get talented enough to post my work there! But...I wanted to display these little efforts made by following Mr Brinnen's 20 minute noobie landscape tut ... I had troubles with the lighting even though I know I followed his directions as closely as I knew how... I suppose all noobies have lighting headaches, though! I wanted to make the sun actually show in the first scene, and yet my experiments with HDRI and the rest have not really turned out well...

In the second "night time" version of this, I couldn't get a moon to show but it does have a kind of weird "arch" in the sky (which is cool), also there is fog around the base of the mountains on that one, which I think is awesome... The effects there were a surprise, I'm not sure what I did, lol. I have no clue how to make fog show in a daylight scene, though? Fog around the bottom of the mountain in the first image, would have helped with the realism, I'm sure...

mountain-at-sea.png
1200 x 600 - 418K
mountain-at-sea-day-light-w-ufo.png
1600 x 800 - 2M

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You could actually post them in the Bryce forum, and then Mr B would be on hand to advise you.

I can move the thread if you like.

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    You could actually post them in the Bryce forum, and then Mr B would be on hand to advise you.

I can move the thread if you like.

Oh thank you, please do!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,276
    edited December 1969

@aphrodites.flower.girl - welcome to Bryce and this forum. Do not despair, we all started small. To make the sun visible in the scene, you need to be in the wireframe mode (not rendered). Hold down the ctrl+alt keys and double click on the sun roller ball on top. Then move the mouse in the wireframe scene and left click the mouse. Then you can let go of the ctrl+alt keys and see a yellow star. That's the sun as you see when you render. If that was too fast, go to my website (see sig) > Raytracing > Hints > Sky. There you find also how you can put the moon in front of you.

• edited January 2014

Horo said:
    @aphrodites.flower.girl - welcome to Bryce and this forum. Do not despair, we all started small. To make the sun visible in the scene, you need to be in the wireframe mode (not rendered). Hold down the ctrl+alt keys and double click on the sun roller ball on top. Then move the mouse in the wireframe scene and left click the mouse. Then you can let go of the ctrl+alt keys and see a yellow star. That's the sun as you see when you render. If that was too fast, go to my website (see sig) > Raytracing > Hints > Sky. There you find also how you can put the moon in front of you.

That worked....thank you, I had no idea!! However, the "arc" that you see in my 2nd image apparently IS the moon....only it's gigantic, and very pale as well. How could i make the circle smaller and more realistic-looking, also change the density until I can make it either a clear or somewhat murky moon or sun?

I could just paint it in but then that'd be cheating ;)

Well, LOL, when I switch to Panorama view I see that the island itself becomes tiny while the moon is only just rising, there, but more normal size... Also I have a "lost island" way off to one side, created when positioning got to be a bit much for me and I lost sight of that one altogether...

Post edited by aphrodites.flower.girl on
    edited December 1969

@aphrodites.flower.girl - the sun and moon sizes depend on several settings: the camera FOV, size set in the Sky Lab and the haze setting. Looking at your moon I suspect that the FOV (field of view) of the camera is very low and you're looking through a telescope. Above the large render button there are 2 small ones. You can adjust FOV with the one at the right (the left on banks the camera).

• edited January 2014

Looking thru a telescope at a miniature island....LOLROTF !

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction :) I did discover that my FoV setting was indeed very low, I don't know why! It was on 89 and wasn't even clearing the mesh area where the view-lines spread out. At 100 it spread the view a little past the corners of the mesh. The terrain looked about the same but the sky changed. I was also able to find the size setting to make the moon disc smaller. Now to give Mr. Moon some kind of texture... a hazy ring around it would also be very cool... But that might be way beyond my capabilites at present... I have been advised by others not to "run before I can walk" ;)

[Edit] Textures didn't work, that's beyond me. What I find most baffling now is, no matter what changes I make to the planes and the terrain, the image now seems "stuck" on the same view you see above, except I did manage to re-size the moon disc. Every time I try a preview I keep getting the exact same image...?

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

The scene might be stuck in the same place because you haven't moved/adjusted the camera position. The large roller ball in the upper right, and the arrows above it, are use to move the camera. The roller ball tilts and pans the camera, while the arrow directly above it moves the camera left and right and zooms in. The right arrow moves the camera up and down, and I forget what the other arrow does mainly because I seldom use it.

• edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    The scene might be stuck in the same place because you haven't moved/adjusted the camera position. The large roller ball in the upper right, and the arrows above it, are use to move the camera. The roller ball tilts and pans the camera, while the arrow directly above it moves the camera left and right and zooms in. The right arrow moves the camera up and down, and I forget what the other arrow does mainly because I seldom use it.

I have a good friend who's a Bryce expert and has told me that she mostly moves her objects around from the top or overhead view! But she has her own unique M.O...

I tried that last night...also moved my camera ball every which way, even viewed the scene with other viewpoints and moved objects around. Strangely enough the preview of the scene remains exactly the same, very much as what you see in my earlier post.... I've changed the moon disc to a smaller and more realistic size (actually it was the Sun at first, oops) but everything else seems "stuck" as in the posted image here... I have not tried the "daylight" scene to see what it will do. Today I even went into my Windows 8 settings and deleted history and temp files, not sure whether that would have any effect. In fact last night Bryce seemed oddly slow for some reason....

edited December 1969

@aphrodites.flower.girl - You can change the preview by clicking on the down arrow at the lower right corner of the preview. If the preview doesn't update, go into wire-frame and back - or hit the ESC key twice.

Preview.jpg
    262 x 514 - 33K
  • edited January 2014

Horo said:
    @aphrodites.flower.girl - You can change the preview by clicking on the down arrow at the lower right corner of the preview. If the preview doesn't update, go into wire-frame and back - or hit the ESC key twice.

That is something else I noticed that seemed strange--my preview was not updating, regardless of what changes I made in the wire mesh. Shouldn't it be showing the same scene as in the main window? Not only is my quick render not changing after any alterations I make in the wire mesh, the upper left preview doesn't change either. At least that is how it is with this particular image. I have the same settings as what shows in your illustration, I had a look just now...

I will try poking around with the "daylight" version of the scene, and let you know whether it behaves in the same odd way...

[EDIT] No, the daylight scene preview does respond to changes, as does the main view itself! Proving somehow I've managed to screw up something in the nighttime scene so that one no longer behaves normally...