Tiler shader by Dimension Theory ... how does it work?

KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
edited December 1969 in New Users

Can anyone enlighten me on how this shader works? I don't even know where to start with it..... help!

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It comes with a PDF I thought. But I'll admit I never tried it yet because it looked a PITA to set up to me. I know one user here that can help but I'm not sure he is online right now. A simple way would help me as well. So I'll lurk now.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

jaderail I couldn't find a read me or pdf , so here I am begging for help lol

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

Kharma: Ok I had to right click on it in smart content.....and choose go to product files......then just click on one of them and they appear on the ground plane.......hope this helps Trish

shade2.jpg
    1243 x 720 - 493K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited January 2014

Kharma said:
    jaderail I couldn't find a read me or pdf , so here I am begging for help lol
    Well I'll be. You are 100% correct not one readme or pdf. Hmm.. I must have read the info on it in the Release thread, or another help thread. I do know it allows for two textures and one needs a MASK (that's a Transmap) file in it so the second one shows but that's about all I know.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,866
    edited December 1969

http://jv-andrew.deviantart.com/journal/Tiler-Shader-for-DAZ-Studio-first-look-video-419377667

Shows it in use, but really only at 4:45 does he show a few settings. I don't think it's anything you don't already know but this is all I could find.

edited December 1969

thanks Trish and Novica for that info and link , I have tried playing with it but don't really get anywhere, I think SereneNight used it in one of her reviews once, I will go back and look again..

edited January 2014

I'll give her this link in case she hasn't spotted the thread... we're emailing back and forth at the moment.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2014

Well this is interesting- you have nine choices and I only have eight.

Kharma- exactly HOW is this not working for you? Are you able to even get to it? I had to type in Tiler Shader For Daz Studio and I think I was in Surfaces (as Trish appears to be.) EDIT: I found it and applied it from Smart Content.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

its not working at all ... I tried clicking on different choices but nothing happened. I think its one of those things I will leave for another time, I don't really know what its purpose is for unfortunately.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,575
    edited January 2014

Hola:

I know a little about this. Tile Shader is a neat tool for creating ground planes.

I use product view, not smart content.

If you go to product view you'll see a series of premade files. When they load, they will load with two grouped planes one with a different texture on top of the other. This will give you some idea how the texture applies and works as a grouped object.

You can copy those surfaces to other surfaces that you want to have a similar look or go to the directory they are loaded in and apply them. They aren't like regular textures, you have to load them.

I find it easiest to copy the shader styles from the premade tiles and paste 'em onto whatever I'm into.

For example, if you want to make rocky flats into a field of grass, you can load load Rocky flats twice you can copy the surfaces of any of the tiles to achieve the look that the tile makes. You will need of course load two planes on top of eachother like the demo tiles.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'm back- had to blanket the horse(s) as everyone has the flu/ sick (me too, but I'm the least of the sick)
    What I did was load a plane, go into products over in the Content Library, and the publicity thumbnail was there but that was it. Wouldnt do diddly. Not when I was in universal tool or surface. From Smart Content, I could find it only by typing in Tiler Shader for Daz Studio- it was not coming up like it did in Trish's screenshot. NOTE: I HAD TO HAVE SHADER SELECTED while in Smart Content or nada happened in the search. Once I did that, my 8options showed up. I applied it to my plane and what a funky result. (It's still coming in.)

So I get back and you've (S.Night) posted- let me see if I can get this straight- I am NOT supposed to apply these to a plane?

edited January 2014

The ones in the product view are planes that already have shaders applied. They are there to show you how the surfaces look. If you like it, copy the surfaces from those premade planes by loading it and copying its surfaces to other surfaces. Or load the textures manually from the directory. As far as I can tell this product is sort of a do it yourself kind of thing. Not your typical shader. How I made it work was using that method and also using the directories to load the shaders manually.

I reviewed it here...
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28138/P1335/#501507

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

It lives in SHADER Presets in the Content Library Tab. Not every thing is Set up for Product view or Smart if it does not function in a LINKED to other products way. As a Shader it is a USER side file not a Product linked to other items in any standard way.

Capture-001.png
    398 x 875 - 161K
    edited December 1969

Very helpful Jaderail. Thanks!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    It lives in SHADER Presets in the Content Library Tab. Not every thing is Set up for Product view or Smart if it does not function in a LINKED to other products way. As a Shader it is a USER side file not a Product linked to other items in any standard way.

I don't think that's the same tile shader.

edited December 1969

I only own one Tile Shader and it shows in DIM as this and links back to this...

Capture-002.png
    522 x 709 - 955K
    Capture-001.png
    679 x 583 - 50K
    edited December 1969

oh, I think I got confused from your first screenshot, =-) which showed graffiti on the wall, which isn't this particular set that I can see.

This is what I see here in the folder:

screenshot.jpg
    373 x 767 - 103K
    edited December 1969

Opps Yes, it is. I messed up. Guess what? Layer Shader does the very same thing. Who Knew? I didn't.

• LadyAlysLadyAlys Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

Thank you thank you thank you. I was having a problem with Tiler Shader. I would load a premade plane set and it would render in solid white. The copy and past thing onto another object worked so easily.

Now I get to play with grass. :)

• warmbloodwarmblood Posts: 74
    edited February 2014

It took me a while, but I was finally able to find the readme (using the i link in Install Manager). I found it here:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/17631/start

There isn't a lot of information, but most important:

• You can find new icons for loading this product in the following DAZ Studio Folders:

• “Props:DimensionTheory:TilerShader”
    • “Shaders:DimensionTheory:TilerShader”

The file list is here.

Post edited by warmblood on
  • Cross22Cross22 Posts: 66
    edited November 2014

I cannot get the DTTS to work reliably with UberEnvironment or Advanced Ambient Light. There are always seams at the displacement tiles, even though the displacement maps themselves appear to be seamless in Photoshop. Suggestions?

tiler2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 320K
    tiler.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 314K
    Post edited by Cross22 on
  • SpeculativismSpeculativism Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

It took me a little while to figure the Dimension Theory tiler shader out but, when I did, it had taught me to do something with alpha transparencies which I find quite useful even separately to this shader. :-) Here's what I learned by playing with the parameters:

Load two copies of anything at all, ground, cube, sphere, clothing, figure, whatever. Apply any shader to the first copy. Apply any other shader to the second copy. Then go into "opacity" in the parameters of both copies and use an alpha transmap for one and the exact opposite alpha map for the other. Then, if the object or figure is meant to move, make sure the two copies of it are linked and move together. Result: Two shaders on one object in shapes determined by the image in the opacity map and its opposite. Here's an image attachment example with two different rock shaders applied (to two identical cubes occupying the same space)

2_rock_shaders.png
    1000 x 750 - 245K
  • Hmm, well, I've read the readme (which is marketing) and watched the video, twice, and spent an hour fiddling and yet still cannot get this product to actually do anything, other than provide some ready made ground planes with fairly basic textures.  Pity Daz does not impose some kind of quality control concerning product documentation.

Wsih I had tried it earlier.  Too late to return it now :(.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Hmm, well, I've read the readme (which is marketing) and watched the video, twice, and spent an hour fiddling and yet still cannot get this product to actually do anything, other than provide some ready made ground planes with fairly basic textures.  Pity Daz does not impose some kind of quality control concerning product documentation.

Which render are you trying to use in?  It's a 3Delight only product.

• mjc1016 said:

Hmm, well, I've read the readme (which is marketing) and watched the video, twice, and spent an hour fiddling and yet still cannot get this product to actually do anything, other than provide some ready made ground planes with fairly basic textures.  Pity Daz does not impose some kind of quality control concerning product documentation.

Which render are you trying to use in?  It's a 3Delight only product.

Ohhh dear.  Well, that does suck.  I'd say 'my bad', but it's not because that is not made clear in the limited product info.  Like I said, quality control on product documentation so it includes all relevant information would be a nice idea.  I gave up on Daz back in the version 3 days because I couldn't get results that satisfied me from 3delight, and only came back when Iray came along.  Still, I suppose I can reclaim 120mb of disk space now.

Thanks for enlightening me.  Don't suppose you've got a list of 3delight only products handy, have you?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

You are talking about a product that came out at least a couple of years ago...before Iray was a glimmer in the Studio developers' eyes.  Most of the documentation NEVER gets an update from when it was first made...and the store compatibility options aren't really that great when they say things like 4.x, 4.5+, etc...because 4.8 is newer than either of those options. 

• Hmm, well I think Daz/content creators should take more responsibility for keeping documenation up to date, but I suspect that ain't gonna happen. I could and would have returned this if I'd tried it sooner, so I guess that is the lesson for me to learn, to test my purchases in plenty of time to return them if not suitable.