Import file names

When I import files into hex, OBJ's to be specific, once in the software, hex assigns the name "default" to every piece. We use hex to layout 3d geometry of characters for full size cnc fabrication, so there can be a lot of pieces to layout. It's a HUGE pain to rename every piece that was imported into hex with the original file names so I can identify them in hex. Then when export the renamed objects one at a time, hex want to save each piece as "untitled.obj", causing me to have to re-re-name them all again.

Is there a way to have hex import a single file, and keep that file name in the scene tree?

Also, once all the pieces are in Hex, they are aligned o a common plane, then exported out again. If I have a piece selected in the scene tree, when I export, it exports everything in the workspace as one model.

In other software, I can select "export selected only" Does Hex posses such an option? I am forced to hide each piece I don't want exported :( Not a big deal with a couple of pieces, but when over 100 individual pieces need to be exported individually, all of this can add hours to a job

Thx for any help!!

Comments

• Hmmmm.......that seems like it would be terrible! Maybe someone else here might have some ideas?
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    Hmmmm.......that seems like it would be terrible! Maybe someone else here might have some ideas?

Are you only using Hexagon for the layout only, without any of the modeling functions?

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited October 2019

Not sure about the main problem (naming things) but a work-around for exporting a single part (this just worked for me (no promisses)) would be to group everything, then ungroup one piece, hide the group and export the obj.

About your main problem - Can you post a screen grab with one of your projects as an example of what you are trying to do, showing the tabs, I've added a pic to show you the tabs I mean.

empty scene.jpg
    1920 x 1047 - 181K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on