Strange behavior when creating morphs on props

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited October 2019 in Carrara Discussion

Hi - 

Was playing with some Predatron 99Props such as chair and phone.

I loaded each model into C8.5 Pro, went into model room, selected the desired polygons (seat and seat back for chair, and receiver and cord for phone) - 

then I created target areas with those polygons, created a spin morph for the chair and pick up morph for the phone.

For the chair, i simply rotated the seat and seat back, whereas for the phone I repositioned the receiver (rotate and translate) and did the same with chunks of the cord to make things line up.

When I go back to the Assemble room, I can successfully apply the new morphs and they work fine at 0 and full strength.

But in between, I'm getting unexpected & undesired changes - most clearly visible with the seat, which appears to scale down and then back up rather than simply rotating - can see similar behavior with part of phone cord getting narrower espec on 2nd pic, then scaling back to full thickness at full strength,.

I do not get those unexpected changes in the model room where the morph was created.

I've attached pics below.  Any suggestions / thoughts?

Thanks.

ChairSpin000.png
640 x 480 - 45K
ChairSpin004.png
640 x 480 - 20K
ChairSpin012.png
640 x 480 - 30K
PhoneUp000.png
640 x 480 - 25K
PhoneUp007.png
640 x 480 - 30K
PhoneUp010.png
640 x 480 - 30K
PhoneUp012.png
640 x 480 - 30K
Post edited by Mosk the Scribe on

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    I believe morphs just move points from point A to point B, it won't reproduce complex translations, you would have to create several morphs to get points to move from A to B to C to D etc.
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

If possible, I suggest rigging the phone cord and create a poseable figure.  That is what I did with my phone model.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2928286/#Comment_2928286

My phone model cord mesh was extended to make it easy to place bones for the skeleton.  I don't know how Predatron's mesh is laid out in default.  Something to consider, anyway.

• I believe morphs just move points from point A to point B, it won't reproduce complex translations, you would have to create several morphs to get points to move from A to B to C to D etc.

Ah - thanks - haven't played with my 3d programs in quite a while and that slipped my mind. 

Exported as an object instead and now have separate parts I can maneuver without distortions.

Thanks 

• Diomede said:

If possible, I suggest rigging the phone cord and create a poseable figure.  That is what I did with my phone model.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2928286/#Comment_2928286

My phone model cord mesh was extended to make it easy to place bones for the skeleton.  I don't know how Predatron's mesh is laid out in default.  Something to consider, anyway.

Thanks - may try that for the phone when I've got some free time.