Daz Feature request: Autosave

Well, yeah, we're not children, but you get into to stuff and there are distractions and then you lose power or Daz crashes or whatever and you lose your work.  It would be nice if Daz could implement some kind of optional Autosave, or maybe an optional configurable reminder to save your work that pops up on the screen periodically.  I'm pretty sure they have the technology.

Comments

• Autosave probably would be inconvenient, since it could automatically save a template, not be appealing, and you cannot revert back.

I always save my work as separate scene files using the old-fashioned "Save as" feature.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

yep, been lots of threads about this in the forums. Personally, i am cool with it as long as it's an option as I have no use for it.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Well, I'm thinking sort of like the autosave that you get with MS Office, where it asks you if you want to recover lost files, and backs up the previous saves.  The reminder popup thing would be just as good if not better as far as I'm concerned, but it's weird, whereas people have heard of autosave, and people don't like to think about new things.

• onixonix Posts: 282

Actually this could be done with the script pretty easily but the save process is pretty slow and it will be annoying if it will start at random also it collapses your folder structures and possibly can erase undo history.

Autosave only works if it can be done in the background or does not annoy you too much.

To do a save, or any other kind of reminder is a pretty simple task too. I may write a script for that and post it here if there is more demand for that.

Although you need to start that script every time when you start Daz or put it into autorun.

• onix said:

Actually this could be done with the script pretty easily but the save process is pretty slow and it will be annoying if it will start at random also it collapses your folder structures and possibly can erase undo history.

Autosave only works if it can be done in the background or does not annoy you too much.

To do a save, or any other kind of reminder is a pretty simple task too. I may write a script for that and post it here if there is more demand for that.

Although you need to start that script every time when you start Daz or put it into autorun.

There already is at least one script add-on in the DAZ3D store for this, and I suspect there have been enough requests for this over the years that it may finally show up after the major restructuring that's being done to fix running multiple instances of the software from the same starting directory.
  • I could do without the AutoSave function.  I don't want to automatically save something that I wouldn't want, and never be able to revert back.

• I could do without the AutoSave function.  I don't want to automatically save something that I wouldn't want, and never be able to revert back.

There are ways for it to be done without having the automatic save overwrite the main working file.
  • Yeah, the auto-save files can be multiple, numbered save-files, independent of whatever scene save filename you've selected for that scene.  I.e. if you've named the main working save as Geese on a hill on Mars 20191104 the auto-saved files could be something like 20191104-session1-save01 and 20191104-session1-save02 and so on, incrementing by one with each save, perhaps wrapping back around to ...save01 after a certain number of auto-saves have been reached (so as not to run out of HDD space arbitrarily).