Curved Sci Fi corridors

How many "sci fi corridor" models have there been and of how many feature a CURVED corridor section. There's a new one out now called "Sci Fi Industrial Corridor" by Alan Huang. Its a great looking piece of work -but, ...how is it that the Daz execs upon reviewing the product before release didn't know of past "sci-fi corridor" products WERE NOT FEATURING A CURVED CORRIDOR SECTION !

Isn't there a set standard to go by in which the user is going to be able fully utilize what they purchase???

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

just because "you" have a need for a curved corridor doesn't mean others will. I highly doubt the DAZ execs look at the uese for a particular product and focus more on quality and workmanship instead

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    MaxC28 said:

How many "sci fi corridor" models have there been and of how many feature a CURVED corridor section. There's a new one out now called "Sci Fi Industrial Corridor" by Alan Huang. Its a great looking piece of work -but, ...how is it that the Daz execs upon reviewing the product before release didn't know of past "sci-fi corridor" products WERE NOT FEATURING A CURVED CORRIDOR SECTION !

Isn't there a set standard to go by in which the user is going to be able fully utilize what they purchase???

Daz is a broker.  The standard is you like it you buy it, and if you don't like it, you don't buy it.  

I kind of had to giggle at the image of Daz executives discussing the history of sci-fi corridor models, though.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

One problem with curved corridors, and it's one I've honestly considered in the past, is that it's... very specific.

I mean, the curvature of a corridor when you're looking at a 100 meter diameter ship ring is different than 150 or 300 or 80 or ...

Or, heck, decks; the inward ring is going to have a different curvature than the next few levels.

I suppose what you'd need is... a kit, or maybe a morphing base corridor with embedded greebles? Hmm.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

I would like a curved corridor set, honestly. If it had varying degrees of curve as well as straight, that would be incredible.

I have very little experience with environments, but... mmmm.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Industrial installations prefer straight corridors. They are far cheaper to install.

I think I might give this a try, heh. No guarantees, and like I said I don't have a lot of experience with environments.

But I have Ideas (tm).

Note that relatively large ring stations (100m+ diameter) will not have super noticeable bending.

• Oso3D said:

Note that relatively large ring stations (100m+ diameter) will not have super noticeable bending.

That ring-station comment brings to mind this product, though:

https://www.daz3d.com/retro-sci-fi-corridor

On the other hand, searching for that one lead me to this one, which is curved horizontily:

https://www.daz3d.com/lunar-science-station-rim-corridor

That said, this one apparently has curving sections, but it's not space-station stuff.  It can likely be retextured to look space-stationy, though:

https://www.daz3d.com/the-sewer_17634

I'm tinkering with essentially 2m cube segments that can bend. Designed for this ring approach, it may also work fine bending sideways. 

I'm debating how to most easily control this bend, though; right now it involves selecting dozens of bones and setting bend to pretty small values...

• Don't forget that the main reason for the prevalence of curved corridors in SF is that it limits the amount that needs to be build in the studio - the curve limits the line of sight so they just build a short section that's long enought for the actors to walk down without getting a shot past the open end of the set.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744

Adding a gratuitous "bot racing" shot in a curved corridor from skywalk.

• HAHA!! Love the bit with the guy tumbling off the bot at the back!  :D :D

And yeah, I'd forgotten about this curved corridor.

Early test.

The big thing I need to do is a lot of 'extra bits'; windows, doors, hatches, ladders, etc.

I also think I want to create essentially 'recess boxes' so you could 'open' the floor (or wall) to reveal pipes/wiring/circuits inside.

Ship Ring WIP2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 266K
  • That's an good idea!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Linton said:

Isn't that a different-enough-to-be-©-friendly version of the Discovery's habitat carousel from 2001? Very nice, I must have missed that when it came out.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    Linton said:

Isn't that a different-enough-to-be-©-friendly version of the Discovery's habitat carousel from 2001? Very nice, I must have missed that when it came out.

I like that the central gap in the tiles is just a bit wider to allow the rail holding the camera to slip through. Brilliant enginering.

• LintonLinton Posts: 542
    Linton said:

Yeah, close! It's on sale now for $5.40!

I always loved that scene in the movie. 

• Linton said:
    Linton said:

Yeah, close! It's on sale now for $5.40!

I always loved that scene in the movie. 

Pretty sure I remember someone else doing one of these.  >>does a search<<  Yup, here it is, Sci-Fi Spaceship Centrifuge.  Also on sale, though not for as low as that other one.

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578
    edited November 2019
    Oso3D said:

Early test.

The big thing I need to do is a lot of 'extra bits'; windows, doors, hatches, ladders, etc.

I also think I want to create essentially 'recess boxes' so you could 'open' the floor (or wall) to reveal pipes/wiring/circuits inside.

Don't forget the tripping hazards. Every sci-fi  environment needs lots of tripping hazards. /sarc

Post edited by Esemwy on
  • I definitely second the motion of having internal-machinery-access hatches in the walls, ideally with ways to choose or to change out what sorts of componants are behind the hatches.  One of the stories I wrote that I intend to adapt into 3D-rendered comicbook is of someone opening one or more of these little hatches, then disconnecting and pulling cables and stuff out, white trying to get an airlock hatch to open, so it would be useful to have access-panals that open, and be able to insert the appropriate cables for him to pull, though those can easily be props kitbashed in from elsewhere.

Yeah. I'm thinking a box with a few props or preset options, and then of course you can substitute whatever.

I'm working on something else at the moment, but I find the idea intriguing. Sort of hit a point where I need to make a bajillion props, though. heh