assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

As it says

I think it would be interesting to have scars and wounds

Like, you have ones going over the eye, nose, where ever

Comments

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

That sounds good. I have a character who needs a scar on his eye. So far, even editing textures does not really help.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

While it would just be the scar mark, I imagine, you're have to still do the texture work (I don't think even the HD will make it look like a scar) the cut would be there, just wouldn't look like how they would in real life (how the skin tone would be different, ect)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

That sounds good. I have a character who needs a scar on his eye. So far, even editing textures does not really help.

Here's a wonderful (and free) tutorial by the people at CG Cookie/Concept Cookie about creating blood, bruises, and cuts.
    http://cgcookie.com/concept/2012/03/14/drawing-blood-bruises-and-cuts/

The tutorial uses photoshop, but it can be adapted to Gimp or similar as it's all painting and shading.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Vaskania. Yes, the problem with scars is that a human body tends to form a rift in the place where the tissue has been damaged. So scars are either sunken into the flesh or they rise above the normal surface. That's why they are difficult to recreate in 3D. Simple Veins HD shows how veins can look, if somebody could mimick that for scars... That could work.

edited December 1969

I use Vascularity for Poser from Rendo (by Zev0/Draagonstorm). It uses displacement maps to bump up the surface. Have you tried something like that in the mean time? Creating a displacement map (or adding your scar to an existing one)?

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

There's this product http://www.daz3d.com/lie-wound-pack, which includes displacement maps.

And there are a new set of presets based on a special script here http://www.sharecg.com/v/37457/view///?interstitial_displayed=Yes to apply the displacement maps automatically. You can move them where you want if they are not already in the right position.

This is actually the biggest seller of all my products.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,200
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure I understand all the details, but FWIW there is this:

http://www.daz3d.com/one-click-wounds-for-poser

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    I'm not sure I understand all the details, but FWIW there is this:

http://www.daz3d.com/one-click-wounds-for-poser

It's the Poser version of the one I mentioned.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I don't think you people seem to understand how much better scars and wounds would be if they were sculpted in, not just pained on...makes a BIG difference with how much more realistic it can look

A displacement map, is way different from sculpted details

Displacement maps will not & won't work for me, I need to bake a normal map for models, meaning you need all that detail sculpted for the model to make the base model look as detailed as the hi-poly version

edited December 1969

We understand, thanks. Seeing as though something like that doesn't exist currently, we were trying to give you ideas that would work in the interim. Also, we're not mind readers and didn't know what you were needing them for.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The simple fact is, that it is very unlikely that such a product, in a general sense, would actually sell well enough for a vendor to spend the time/effort on it. They would be better off making individual characters with some scars, than trying to make a product that will have wide enough appeal. Sculpting in a morph 'locks' it to one (maybe two locations, if you can mirror it), while displacement mapped wounds can pretty much be placed anywhere.

Besides, there is nothing stopping you, if you need a specific scar, in a specific location, from taking the mesh into Zbrush, Blender or something else, subdividing the snot out of it, sculpting in a scar and baking out a normal map for it...if the need is that great. But to do a general set...I wouldn't spend the time/effort on it, because I know after the initial 'hey, this is cool' wears off and everybody finds they have the same scars, interest will fall faster than Apple's stock price has lately and I'll be left with nothing

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,060
    edited December 1969

You can turn a displacement map into real mesh deformation in ZBrush, though it takes a bit of setting up with the DAZ figures as they use multiple maps for each channel.