Move objects from DS to Bryce...how do I?

KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I want to create a landscape and put the Big cat with LAMH fur into the scene ...how do I do that? Or do I make the landscape and move it to DS?

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,276
    edited December 1969

@Kharma - in Bryce, click on Create on top. At right, you'll see a DAZ symbol. Click on it. It opens Studio.

From Studio, select the object(s) then File > Send to Bryce. This will open an instance of Bryce and the object(s) are sent to Bryce.

Bryce has a beautiful renderer but it is not good for hair. I render always in Bryce but if you have hair close-up, Studio will give you the better result.

Studio.jpg
    851 x 120 - 24K
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Kharma - in Bryce, click on Create on top. At right, you'll see a DAZ symbol. Click on it. It opens Studio.

From Studio, select the object(s) then File > Send to Bryce. This will open an instance of Bryce and the object(s) are sent to Bryce.

Bryce has a beautiful renderer but it is not good for hair. I render always in Bryce but if you have hair close-up, Studio will give you the better result.

I didn't know Bryce doesn't render hair well, I haven't tried it, and in that case is it possible to move a scene I make in Bryce to studio and add my cat in DS? If so how would I do that?

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

Hi Kharma;

What Horo said on the transfer from DAZ Studio to Bryce is technically correct, but just a bit of forewarning - Frequently the Bridge for the 2 programs can be cranky and don't always play well together. I for the most part finally gave up on using the software bridge and now only do transfers between the 2 programs with the export from DAZ as an obj file. Lots less headaches and crashes.

EDIT: Good example of the bridge issues is my new lantern model I have in Show Us Your Renders. I need to set up a figure in DAZ to be holding the lantern for a project in Bryce ( The Bridge is supposed to work both ways ) So ignoring my own bridge advice, about half a dozen tries and program crashes to send my lantern to DAZ Studio, I finally went back to my old standby by exporting and then importing the file rather than go through the bridge. Although the big issue on going from Bryce to DAZ that way is that often you have to do lots of surface modifications and re-map of textures, etc. in DAZ. As DAZ reads material files from OBJ files differently than Bryce does. So my design on my lantern battery was just a streaked blob in DAZ Studio, so I had to go back to my original design art, flip it upside down and then assign it to the battery surface in DAZ. Also the silver on the lantern was a reflective black once imported to DAZ so I had to adjust all of the surfaces for that.

Have a good one!

Bruce

Post edited by Goshtac on
    edited December 1969

@Kharma - what goshtac said is unfortunately true. The bridge can be unreliable at times and it appears to be worse from Bryce to DS than the other way around, and exporting as OBJ and importing in the other program is often the only way.

DS and Bryce handle materials/shaders completely differently and what you get on the other side may look acceptably good or completely disappointing. What makes it even worse is that the same qualities (e.g. bump or specular), which both programs can handle, don't come over right.

I don't want to put you off. You have to try yourself how much works for you and when it gets unacceptable. I'm using quite a lot of DS/Poser stuff in my renders and most of the time I don't mind spending hours to adapt the materials. I very seldom use DS to render so I'm not much of a help here.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Kharma: The LAMH can not be brought into Bryce....I have tried.....It will not work....sorry Trish

edited December 1969

Kharma: The LAMH can not be brought into Bryce....I have tried.....It will not work....sorry Trish

thanks for the tip Trish, now I won't pull my hair out trying it ... maybe I will just save renders in each program and put together in PS and wait to figure out how to move stuff back and forth between DS and Bryce. You would think if this option was built into both programs it would work flawlessly...no?

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:

thanks for the tip Trish, now I won't pull my hair out trying it ... maybe I will just save renders in each program and put together in PS and wait to figure out how to move stuff back and forth between DS and Bryce. You would think if this option was built into both programs it would work flawlessly...no?

Hi Kharma:

Just a thought on you wanting to create a landscape in Bryce and move to DAZ Studio - Are we talking about a close up landscape that figures in DAZ Studio need to interact with? Or do you just want to create a mountain range, etc in the background. I apologize if I am stating the obvious here as I don't know how much background you have with the various programs. But if just needed as a background for a scene in DAZ Studio, you could always render your terrain in Bryce and then save the image and use it as a background in DS without having to mess with adding everything together in PS.. Just a thought if you haven't considered it already...

Bruce

edited December 1969

@Kharma - extending on Bruce's idea: in such a case you could also directly render a full panorama in Bryce and map it on a cylinder in DS into which you set your object.

edited December 1969

@Horo and Bruce ... I know in Carrara I was able to create a mountain top terrain ( by following a tutorial) and then place a white tiger from DS into the scene on the rocks so it looked like it belonged in the render. I would like to do the same using Bryce if its possible.

I am not very well versed in any of these programs, I follow tutorials and tips and ideas that I come across in the forums ( thank goodness for all you kind people or I would still be at square one) and just keep trying and apply them when I am creating a scene. I would not even know at this point how to apply a panorama to a cylinder, is there a tutorial explaining this somewhere?

edited December 1969

@Kharma - to wrap a panorama around a cylinder. In Bryce it's easy, just apply the image on the cylinder and set mapping mode to cylindrical. In DS, I think you can add an image in the ambient channel of the shader for the cylinder. Though I'm not sure, I've played around with Uberlight 2 and could make it work, but there a sphere and a spherical panorama is used.

If you can render a terrain in Carrara and use it in DS, than this would work the same way using Bryce instead of Carrara.

Perhaps Trish (bullit35744) could help better than I. She's an expert in both Bryce and DS.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Kharma - to wrap a panorama around a cylinder. In Bryce it's easy, just apply the image on the cylinder and set mapping mode to cylindrical. In DS, I think you can add an image in the ambient channel of the shader for the cylinder. Though I'm not sure, I've played around with Uberlight 2 and could make it work, but there a sphere and a spherical panorama is used.

If you can render a terrain in Carrara and use it in DS, than this would work the same way using Bryce instead of Carrara.

Perhaps Trish (bullit35744) could help better than I. She's an expert in both Bryce and DS.

lol, I think Trish would tell you that she is only as expert as she is in DS because of the help she got from the big blue helpy guy.(in joke). However he knows nothing much about Bryce, unfortunately in this case.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

I did that all inside carrara, built the terrain and then loaded my saved tiger from the library, of course the library for DS shows in Carrara, and it does not in Bryce which is why I was asking about transporting a figure from DS to Bryce. Maybe I should just keep practicing the basics for now. I have seen many posters showing their combo Bryce/DS renders so it must be possible, and trish is one of them so maybe she can give me some hints about doing it. in the meantime I will try your suggestions about the cylinder andsee how that goes. Thanks for helping :)

edited January 2014

Kharma: I don't use the worthless bridge.....to bring stuff over to Bryce what I do is pose everything with the figure and clothes and export as a wavefront object....from Darkside it throws up 2 folders on your desktop one is called maps and one is called converted maps...you can leave those there or delete after import to Bryce .... I have been leaving them there because Darkside just adds to them and Bryce knows where they are and how to find the maps it needs....then when it gets over full I just delete both...here are the settings I use for export to Bryce....anything you put on the screen in Darkside will be exported ...except lights....Lamh fur.....cameras....shaders....

Horo: Is being too kind everything I know about Bryce I learned from him...and its taken me since 2007....

chohole: Is correct ...LOL everything I know about Darkside I learned from....Jaderail

I am happy to help you anyway I can....Bryce is a great program and a lot of fun....Trish

maps1.jpg
    82 x 196 - 10K
    mouse1.jpg
    700 x 856 - 205K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited January 2014

continued.....hope this helps...I do everything in pictures because I understand better whats going on I am a very visual person

mouse4.jpg
    786 x 646 - 257K
    part5.jpg
    1277 x 792 - 459K
    part2.jpg
    462 x 295 - 71K
    io.jpg
    337 x 370 - 67K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Kharma: I don't use the worthless bridge.....to bring stuff over to Bryce what I do is pose everything with the figure and clothes and export as a wavefront object....from Darkside it throws up 2 folders on your desktop one is called maps and one is called converted maps...you can leave those there or delete after import to Bryce .... I have been leaving them there because Darkside just adds to them and Bryce knows where they are and how to find the maps it needs....then when it gets over full I just delete both...here are the settings I use for export to Bryce....anything you put on the screen in Darkside will be exported ...except lights....Lamh fur.....cameras....shaders....

Horo: Is being too kind everything I know about Bryce I learned from him...and its taken me since 2007....

chohole: Is correct ...LOL everything I know about Darkside I learned from....Jaderail

I am happy to help you anyway I can....Bryce is a great program and a lot of fun....Trish

bridge works great for me - so lets not put every one in the same boat .

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I am usually able to bring things over from DS to Bryce via the bridge, and I often am able to use DS/Poser objects in Bryce. However I have never tried to use LAMH hair, and I know occasionally I have issues with the bridge. It very much seems to depend on what you are bringing over. I wouldn't completely give up on combining DS and Bryce just yet, however I would keep track of what things or types of things you have problems with so you don't waste time struggling with things that will give you trouble in the future, but can still use and enjoy for things that work.
    For example I have transparency issues occasionally, so I if I wanted a scene with zillions of objects with transparency I might consider just sticking with one application or the other if a quick test doesn't indicate success, and I think there was some kind of problem with eyes, or eyebrows, or eyelashes or something that is only visible in extreme closeups so I might do a few quick experiments before leaping into a portrait using objects transferred over the bridge, although I have used figures that aren't in extreme closeups without any trouble recently. I generally don't even try bringing anything from Bryce over to DS anymore, although I occasionally beat my head against that wall for a few minutes before putting it on the back burner for some imaginary future.

edited December 1969

@bullitt - thank you for the very detailed how to, the pictures are perfect explanation of what to do. I will try something simple to start...see how it works :)

@Sean - thanks for the input, I will start with simple and go from there and see what will work and what won't for my project :)