More realistic Make Up options for Female characters

One thing I struggle with a lot is trying to make characters look "real." And by that I mean not like cover models. You can take a beautiful character and use various face morphs to make them more "flawed" and real but when it comes to make up, it's either no makeup or over the top Glam looks. Speaking personally, when I got to meet my parents for dinner, I make sure I look nice and do wear makeup but I'm not doing smokey eye or cat eye liner. I guess I'm just looking for an inbetween for "Just got out of bed" and "Dancer in a 80's rock video."

Comments

• For G8 females, if I don't like the makeup options for the character, I use Skin Builder 8. It has several or more style options for each: eye liners, eye shadows, blush, and lipstick. Plus you can adjust their strengths and are able to select pretty much any color for the makeups. If you're really good and know your way around a photo-editing program, you can make maps from the skin textures for use in some of the surface layers and/or apply it to the skin texture itself and save it as a separate preset.

Lately, I've been avoiding Skin Builder makeup on the female characters simply due to limited storage since I have to save a copy of the whole head texture with the makeups applied. For now I just use the Diffuse Layer to apply light lipstick and tinker with the bump/normal, Dual Lobe specular, or glossy settings for the lips.

• Lately, I've been avoiding Skin Builder makeup on the female characters simply due to limited storage since I have to save a copy of the whole head texture with the makeups applied. For now I just use the Diffuse Layer to apply light lipstick and tinker with the bump/normal, Dual Lobe specular, or glossy settings for the lips.

Are there any tutorials discussing some of these channels? I understand bump and normal but no idea about how to use these other channels.

• Lately, I've been avoiding Skin Builder makeup on the female characters simply due to limited storage since I have to save a copy of the whole head texture with the makeups applied. For now I just use the Diffuse Layer to apply light lipstick and tinker with the bump/normal, Dual Lobe specular, or glossy settings for the lips.

Are there any tutorials discussing some of these channels? I understand bump and normal but no idea about how to use these other channels.

For example, layers using Diffuse Layer Weight & Metallic Flakes Weight can be mapped on a texture by using a gray-scale .JPG, .PNG, etc., colored image map(black = no effect and white = strongest effect) in order to have those layers affect the desired area of the surface's texture. Take for example you want to change ONLY the color of the stitching on an article of clothing. You can use the Diffuse Color layer to do this by changing everything to black except for the stitching(which would generally be made white) on the texture used for the clothing. This can be done using most image editors. The resulting black & white image would then be used as a map by clicking on the box "V" in the Diffuse Layer Weight and selecting the image from whatever directory you have it in. After that, you just change the Diffuse Color to whatever you want. Make sure you first save a copy of the texture and edit the copy so you're not messing up the original.