Freeing of Memory on Application Close

dbtemdbtem Posts: 30
edited November 2019 in Product Suggestions

I have noticed that on application close, the application properly frees all objects from the heap (memory) before closing.  This is correct application design.

One observation that I have; however, is that if your schene contains more objects that you have physical memory (RAM), it has to slowly pull these objects from the page file, back into the working set, so that it can properly free them.  This takes a long time to do. 

I was wondering, in this instance, if it might be better to just exit the application, immediately on close, and then allow the OS garbage collector to dispose of contents in memory, which it would do in very short order. 

There might be an underlying reason why this cannot be done; however, if I save my schene, and then exit, and then kill the process, I have not noticed any ill effects on my schene.

Thank you!

Post edited by dbtem on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

As far as my DAZ Studio 4.11+'s behavior on my computer after a render DS might go though and free all paged out memory when you exit DS but Windows 10 itself keeps the size of it's expanded page until you reboot the computer. I regularly have in excess of 10GB and even 20GB disk space disappear on my system disk when rendering in DS and when I exit DAZ Studio the lost disk space stays gone until I reboot my computer.