Bryce 7 compatible with mac lion

13»

Comments

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    Apple were giving Snow Leopard away last year as a free download... Even if you could only get Leopard, Bryce runs on it so no need for Snow really.

But here it is for sale for a mere £14 on the Apple website

Yes, I agree that a new upgraded version of Bryce would be the best solution, but we can only work with what we've actually got, not what we would like to have. All we have at the moment and for the foreseeable future are workarounds. :)

True, there are workarounds. Bryce is the only program that requires such. No other program I use requires it. That includes but not exclusive to: Adobe Creative Suite, Strata Design 3D, Strata Live 3D, Strata Foto 3D, FileMaker, Suitcase, Microsoft Office, Poser Pro 2012, Sculptris, StoryMill, and a myriad of smaller apps and utilities, both from large and small publishers.

Yes, you can do a workaround. But is it worth it?

You're just not getting it, there are no other choices for Mac users wanting to work with Bryce until Daz brings Bryce back into developement and there is no proposed timeline for when that will happen. It could be a few months or more then a year. Then after that it'll all boil down to how long it takes to fix the problem and whether or not Daz feels that fix is worth the cost, then there is beta testing, refinement, etc so you could be talking multiple years before there is a choice.

As for the question of worth you may be asking the wrong person when you ask Savage that because he likely makes enough from one job that he can knock out in a couple of days to pay for parallels or an old Mac still in good shape someone is selling. Although he didn't have to do that because he already had his own old Mac in good shape. Now for you it may not be worth it, if sketch up is a suitable replacement for Bryce then no, a workaround that costs $200 or more just isn't going to make sense. Then again Sketch-up is not really anything like Bryce and from what I understand the MAc options that really are like Bryce or perhaps even better then Bryce, cost way more. So let me ask you this, is it worth it to you to remain inflexible about the workarounds until work forces your hand and then your choices are spend the money for the workarounds or spend even more money for a different program altogether? Or would it make more sense to pursue either of those options now so that when work does force your hand you're prepared rather then trying to learn new ways of doing things while trying to meet a deadline?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I have asked once, and will ask again.

Please keep the discussion civil,. Please avoid personal attacks and please do not start another OS war. Thankyou.

Where is the personal attack? Where is it not civil and where is this OS war you keep talking about? There is none of that in my post. Yet amazingly I felt I was attacked personally, I felt I wasn't being treated civily and some of those criticisms were based on my OS and yet nothing was said by you then. Yet whenever I post, within minutes there you are warning me. Try warning the other guy within minutes of his posts and maybe I'll not even feel the need to post at all?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2013

Strangely enough I do need to take some time away from the forums, I find that working 24/7 is very stressful and I do get a bit tired if I try it. :coolsmirk:

So a keep it civil post is a general post. not a targeted post.Please remember I am on GMT and so may be sleeping when others are posting, so my comments may appear after others have already replied.

OS wars are when people start the Mac v Windoze thing up again, and even sometimes bring Linux in for a bit of variety. :-)

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Strangely enough I do need to take some time away from the forums, I find that working 24/7 is very stressful and I do get a bit tired if I try it. :coolsmirk:

So a keep it civil post is a general post. not a targeted post.Please remember I am on GMT and so may be sleeping when others are posting, so my comments may appear after others have already replied.

OS wars are when people start the Mac v Windoze thing up again, and even sometimes bring Linux in for a bit of variety. :-)

Rather then go into more of explaining ourselves which really neither of us should have to do in an ideal world I've been giving this issue some thought and came to this conclusion. This thread is a sticky because it has been a constant issue in the forum with people periodically bringing it up as a new issue because perhaps for them it is a new issue. So rather then constantly having new threads bringing up the same issues the sticky is meant to let people know there is an awareness of the issue and also provide as much information as possible about where things are at. Beyond that there really is no need for further discussion. Especially since some of the information dictates discussing Macs vs Windows since on solution involves using Windows on a Mac. I'm by no means a Windows fan either but I remain loyal because to switch to Mac would involve too much relearning of how to do things on a computer and generally going the Mac route, at least where I'm at is more expensive and more difficult to find support.

Anyway my thought on the matter concluded with perhaps this whole thread should be scrubbed or even removed and replaced. Such that we end up with a sticky thread with a post or two from an official Daz spokesperson knowledgable on the issue explainning why things are where they are for the moment and what the future plans are and if possible some kind of rough timeline would really be helpful. Then a handful of select posts from key Bryce/Mac users like Dave, Dan and a few of the other regulars making Bryce Work on Macs and their suggestions on how to do so. Finally concluded with a post directing the reader to a better place to lodge a complaint if they feel they need to address the issue personally with Daz. Then lock the thread.

I do realize that your job is not fun and I don't mean to make it any worse for you then it is already. I understand that these requests to keep it civil are generalized but it's kind of hard to not feel it a little personal when it seems they always pop up within minutes of your posts and nobody elses. I guess we just happen to be on the same schedule? Plus it's hard not to respond when people come in here randomly addressing the issue with very unreasonable attitudes. I was trying to be civil in that last post given the apparent tone of the post I was replying to. I was doing so per your first request. So if you felt I was still being uncivil then I needed a better explaination of what civility is in your eyes.

That's when it kind of hit me that, you know what, this is getting way out of hand and way too much for everybody. Why not just have a brief but clear, concise, informative sticky thread on the topic and then lock it and update when/as needed. Because really the bottomline is that it is what it is and the workarounds are all there is for now.

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

All the rhetoric is losing the main message: Bryce has fallen behind the upgrade curve.

While there are work arounds, this isn't a workable solution for everyone. An upgrade is a workable solution for everyone, Mac and PC.

Daz has made it clear they will upgrade Bryce. It's just that it's on their timetable, not ours. Until then, we wait.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited March 2013

Bryce has lived for most of it's life behind the upgrade curve.
    Dedicated Brycers will find a way to continue to use it as they have always done (warts an' all) to do more work and more complex work in Bryce than those who refuse the workaround options available.

Hopefully I won't be on Leopard for the rest of my life, but until Bryce gets made Mountain Lion compatible, I'll always maintain a Mac with the Leopard OS (in the same way that if I wanted to use Hypercard, I'd have get out and set up my 20 odd year old Mac IICX).

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

I couldn't wait any longer. Since Bryce isn't as high a priority as my other applications, I had to leave it behind to be able to get work done. My new laptop has improved my work flow and speed by over 50% since I'm no longer waiting on my Mac to complete a task I've asked it to do. My renders are extremely short compared to my previous laptop that could have run Snow Leopard, so the trade off of not being able to use Bryce in it's current form has been worth it for me.

Once Bryce it compatible with my computer again, I'll use it again. Until then, I'll continue to lament not being able to use it. It'll happen sooner or later. I can wait.

edited December 1969

Wow, you really need to tell Apple about that "over 50%" speed increase. The benchmark tests I've seen written up come nowhere near those remarkable results... unless you upgraded from a Quadra. :cheese:

• dyretdyret Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

So... Where´s the Commodore 64 version? I´ve waited and waited!

edited December 1969

Wow, you really need to tell Apple about that "over 50%" speed increase. The benchmark tests I've seen written up come nowhere near those remarkable results... unless you upgraded from a Quadra. :cheese:

I said 50%, not 500%. My previous laptop was over 3 years old. Just the nVidia graphics chip alone has done wonders for speed, especially in 3D rendering. I also have i7 Core chip, not an i5 Core like I had, so I know have 6 cores instead of 4 cores. Just in the main processor you're seeing a 50% increase in speed with programs that utilize multiple cores. In addition, I have twice as much memory being addressed, so I doubled the ram on this model.

It's taken my renders that might take around 45 minutes to around 30 minutes. In some cases I'm seeing renders taking half as long. The 50% increase was a conservative amount.

edited December 1969

Your claims don't match up to the written up benchmark tests I've seen written up is all I'm saying.
    Who am I going to believe; Properly designed benchmark tests or; Some random bloke on a forum?

;-)

edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    I couldn't wait any longer. Since Bryce isn't as high a priority as my other applications, I had to leave it behind to be able to get work done. My new laptop has improved my work flow and speed by over 50% since I'm no longer waiting on my Mac to complete a task I've asked it to do. My renders are extremely short compared to my previous laptop that could have run Snow Leopard, so the trade off of not being able to use Bryce in it's current form has been worth it for me.

Once Bryce it compatible with my computer again, I'll use it again. Until then, I'll continue to lament not being able to use it. It'll happen sooner or later. I can wait.

Well then can you lament to yourself? The rest of us don't really need to hear how disappointed you are that you can't use Bryce but you refuse to consider any workaround and your love of Bryce is so great that you've given up on it for now. You crying about it here serves no purpose. It won't make Daz move faster and it doesn't provide new and useful information to others facing the same issue. It's just you complaining about not being able to use your beloved Bryce which you're more then happy to move on from. The other lovers of Bryce here don't want to move on, they want solutions. Sure an update is the best scenario but workarounds are fine too.

edited December 1969

MacSavers said:

Well then can you lament to yourself? The rest of us don't really need to hear how disappointed you are that you can't use Bryce but you refuse to consider any workaround and your love of Bryce is so great that you've given up on it for now. You crying about it here serves no purpose. It won't make Daz move faster and it doesn't provide new and useful information to others facing the same issue. It's just you complaining about not being able to use your beloved Bryce which you're more then happy to move on from. The other lovers of Bryce here don't want to move on, they want solutions. Sure an update is the best scenario but workarounds are fine too.

Gotta love the personal attacks.

edited March 2013

Your claims don't match up to the written up benchmark tests I've seen written up is all I'm saying.
    Who am I going to believe; Properly designed benchmark tests or; Some random bloke on a forum?

;-)

The benchmarks on video performance of the nVidia card improvements are at least 2 times better than the model I came from. If you are trying to compare this years model to last years, fine, but that's not the model I had. I stated that my model was at least 3 years old. The improvement I speak of is less than what the benchmarks suggest.

EDIT: I tracked down Geekbench's results for speed. My current model is the MacBook Pro 2.3ghz i7 Core (mid 2012). My previous model was a MacBook Pro 2.4ghz i5 Core (early 2010).

The overall bench for my previous model was 5440. Here's the link: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1754337

The overall bench for my current model is 11957. Here's the link: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1754531

So, based on these 'benchmarks' from a respected source, so you don't have to take some random bloke's word for it like me, shows exactly a 2.19x increase in performance. Both had nVidia chips to help keep the numbers very comparative. So, I feel very confident in my claims. While not always getting a 100% boost ( which is a 2x boost for clarification ), I regularly see a 50% or more boost in speeds. It's actually common to have real world speeds not match benchmarks and actually be slower.

These speeds greatly improve my use of Photoshop, my main money maker, as well as many of the 3D programs I use. Obviously, some of this boost is directly related to going full 64-bit. Being able to address more memory, having a faster buss, etc, all contribute to this speed increase, which is now documented for your enjoyment.

I'm not here to whine like some suggest. I felt my last comment that I was willing to wait ended it. However, I stand by my comments and do wish Bryce was already upgraded so that I can again use a very useful and amazing program. While workarounds are available, they just don't make economic sense at this time for me. This doesn't mean it's not a great idea for others and I'm glad someone suggested it for those that want to take advantage of it. For me, I'll continue to use my other programs and just wait out the upgrade process. I've done it with Hexagon and I can do it with Bryce.

As for the administrators here on the boards, I apologize if anything I said bruised any rules of the boards. It was never my intention to get into a war of words with others here. They all have their valid opinions, but in the end, they are just that, just as mine are. However, try to attack my integrity or say I don't know what I'm talking about and that changes the playing field. I will gladly defend any statements I make and will also gladly apologize for any errors; I'm not without fault or making an error. I stand by my statements here though. I cannot find any falsehoods that I have stated here.

At this point I consider this war of words over. If you guys want to get the last word, by all means do so. I'm not going to post any more on the upgrade situation of Bryce. Daz has made their intentions clear and I'm fine with it.

Post edited by MacSavers on
    edited March 2013

MacSavers said:
    MacSavers said:

There is no personal attack in there, everything that might be labeled a personal attack are things you yourself have said. What is in there is a request for you to stop trolling and had you really wanted to end this war or words as you put it you wouldn't have made the post I'm replying to here or the one after that. But I guess you just had to try to get the last word?

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

This thread is heading rapidly to the point where it gets locked

edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    MacSavers said:

There is no personal attack in there, everything that might be labeled a personal attack are things you yourself have said. What is in there is a request for you to stop trolling and had you really wanted to end this war or words as you put it you wouldn't have made the post I'm replying to here or the one after that. But I guess you just had to try to get the last word?

Really? You say I'm crying, that I'm unwilling to use a workaround when I've explained my position rather matter of factly. I've even stated that I don't mind waiting. Where is the 'crying' in that? So instead of adding to the conversation, you talked directly to me about my issues.

That's a personal attack.

edited March 2013

MacSavers said:
    MacSavers said:
    MacSavers said:

Really? You say I'm crying, that I'm unwilling to use a workaround when I've explained my position rather matter of factly. I've even stated that I don't mind waiting. Where is the 'crying' in that? So instead of adding to the conversation, you talked directly to me about my issues.

That's a personal attack.

I guess you don't know the meanings of the words you use when you speak?

la·ment
    verb \lə-ˈment\

Definition of LAMENT

intransitive verb

: to mourn aloud : wail

transitive verb

: to express sorrow, mourning, or regret for often demonstratively : mourn

: to regret strongly

See lament defined for English-language learners »

See lament defined for kids »

Examples of LAMENT

She lamented over the loss of her best friend.
    “I've lost my best friend!” she lamented.

Origin of LAMENT

Middle English lementen, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French lamenter, from Latin lamentari, from lamentum, noun, lament
    First Known Use: 15th century

When I said you are crying I was referring to your saying you'll continue to lament over not being able to use Bryce. As for refusing to use workarounds I can go back and quote where you said that, maybe not word for word but close. Is that really necessary though? You know you said it, I know you said it, others reading this thread know you said it. Yes you have explained your position matter of factly but that doesn't change that you position is that you won't accept workarounds.

Also what I did was ask you to keep your lamenting to yourself which is a request not a personal attack. I also explained how everything you keep saying in your posts is of no interest to anyone and isn't going to change anything.

A couple of other points, yes you did say at the end that you were willing to wait but go back and read the first sentence of what I quoted from your previous post......that's right it says "I couldn't wait any longer" you seem confused?

I was wondering about this little gem

At this point I consider this war of words over. If you guys want to get the last word, by all means do so. I’m not going to post any more on the upgrade situation of Bryce. Daz has made their intentions clear and I’m fine with it.

I thought you weren't going to post any more? That's what people usually mean when they say they'll let someone get the last word.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • edited December 1969

Hope, there´s coming a fix for mac os x mountain lion soon!

This discussion has been closed.