"An object description is missing"

bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've been running (repeatedly) into an odd problem in Carrara 8.5 Pro.

When I attempt to reload a saved scene, I get a warning dialog that says "An object description is missing. It will be replaced with a cube." Sure enough, when the load has completed, an item is missing from the scene, and its place has been taken by a small terracotta-colored cube.

It seems to affect smart-propped objects attached to Genesis figures, such as weapons or other accessories. I've seen it happen with multiple different objects.

The scenes save without problems, but on reload, the props have gone.

Has anyone else encountered this and, more important, is there a workaround?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Could it be that it is referencing a file that has been moved or modified?

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited December 1969

Could it be that it is referencing a file that has been moved or modified?

Normally, I think that that would be the explanation, but not in this case.

I can add an object to a scene, save the file, close Carrara, re-open Carrara and try to reload the file, all without making any other changes at all. I will then get this message.

It looks to me as if Carrara is simply not saving references to certain kinds of objects properly.

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited February 2014

Hi angusm.

I can reproduce that message by promoting an object to master, then trying to drag that object to the browser. Different methods to reproduce, but it seems like an internal import error in Carrara. I would send a bug report. Im using C8.1.

Post edited by tbwoq on
    edited December 1969

You are on a Mac, right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Anyway, could it be a permission issue with you version of OS X? I had an issue once where I had saved some image maps to the documents folder. Not the one in my home folder, but the top level one. I though I could use them from other accounts that way. I even went so far as to set user permissions in the get info dialogue. Long story short, it didn't work as I had hoped, as I had to then navigate to those files every time I opened the scene. Once I moved them to my home folder and relinked them in the scene, then everything worked.

edited December 1969

tbwoq said:
    Hi angusm.

I can reproduce that message by promoting an object to master, then trying to drag that object to the browser. Different methods to reproduce, but it seems like an internal import error in Carrara. I would send a bug report. Im using C8.1.

I'm guessing tbwoq is correct. I would ignore my post. ;-)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

I just discovered an interesting fact about this with Genesis 2 male and female and parented props

dragged to browser they keep their props on reloading, exported to browser via file  you get the cube dialogue when you load them

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have gotten this message a number of times.

I have even had the same prop more than once in the scene and it will find it for one but not the other.

This is on Window 10 Carrara 8.5

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited March 2016

I had this problem too. I just delete the cube and replace the object.

Post edited by argus1000 on