Trees and Roads

2»

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,287
    edited December 1969

@theschemer - oh you know PB. Yes, Bop Zale passed away last November, very sad indeed. I've used it since v1 when it was from Borland. I use both the Win and the CC compilers, depending on what I do. I did use VB6 for a time, very expensive and I hated that runtime that had to be supplied. PB creates self contained code, is fast and has a great assembler interface.

Back to your forest road. You may go the way Bruce has shown. If you run into issues with the materials (forest ground and dirt road), you can cut out the lowest part of the terrain and put another surface with the appropriate material below it. Just a hint.

• theschemertheschemer Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @theschemer - oh you know PB. Yes, Bop Zale passed away last November, very sad indeed. I've used it since v1 when it was from Borland. I use both the Win and the CC compilers, depending on what I do. I did use VB6 for a time, very expensive and I hated that runtime that had to be supplied. PB creates self contained code, is fast and has a great assembler interface.

Back to your forest road. You may go the way Bruce has shown. If you run into issues with the materials (forest ground and dirt road), you can cut out the lowest part of the terrain and put another surface with the appropriate material below it. Just a hint.

Although I didn't necessarily like the runtime files and dll's etc, I did like VB6. If you started with PB and stuck with it I am sure you are good with it and very happy with the small fast executable's. I just had trouble making the switch but can always try again later when I have spare time.:)

Thanks for the hint on my dirt road and forest ground. I will need all the help I can get. :)
    theschemer

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I did this one http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/1152 by making a grey scale map of the roadway in photoshop, as I wanted the road to climb upwards, then inverted it to make the surrounding landscape, then edited the 2nd one in the terrain editor to give me more contours, with the still fitting together.

road_2.jpg
    660 x 683 - 103K
    road_1.jpg
    660 x 683 - 117K
  • theschemertheschemer Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

@ChoHole,
    That looks great. Amazing from seeing the the original texture plans and then the finished product. I will be making something similar with pine trees and I posted in another thread on a question I had with the tree editor. I don't see the exact tree I need and hope to be able to make one like the ones around here. By the looks of what can be done with Bryce I am guessing it can be done but was hoping someone could confirm it so I know what direction to take.
    Thanks,
    theschemer

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Folks;

Just an update on my playing with the layers technique in matching textures to terrain. It seems to work good on very level terrains with small Y coordinates, but does not work at all or not very well with taller terrains as I tried to create a normal terrain and matching textures using this technique earlier today. Not happy with the result at all as it was a nightmare trying to adjust the X Y Z sizes on the textures. I spent about 5 hours playing with that and would get semi decent results on top of the terrain, but try as I might I could not get the slopes to play well as they were badly pixilated and smeared.

For awhile I had high hopes of this layering trick and will still be using it with flatter ground surfaces with a road, etc. But for high terrains, I cannot see much hope in fixing the material scaling issues.

Below is an example of what I am talking about. After much playing around, the terrain top looked fairly decent and I would get smearing and or pixilation of the sides. No matter what adjustments I made to the various X Y Z scaling, I could not get it right. If the sides started to look good, then the top would go goofy. But, scaling of textures has never been my strong suit, so maybe someone out there with a lot more knowledge has an idea what I can do to fix this if anything or if it is just the nature of the beast. Thanks

Bruce

Sample_of_Smearing.jpg
    1565 x 1043 - 242K