Receding Hair Props?

Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 356
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I did a search but all I came up with was people asking for the same thing.

Have any vendors made any good receding hairline props (every hair in the store looks like it belongs on a twenty-year old). Most older male model renders look unnatural with that much hair (even if you color it grey).

I know you could probably do it with some product like Garibaldi or Look at My Hair, but I'd just rather buy a prop if it exists.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,417
    edited December 1969
  • Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

Thanks--that looks like a good one. Now we just need vendors to actually make ones that are a little fuller and have receding options. I'm surprised no one has tapped into this yet.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I just saw somebody cleverly use normal hair for a balding figure; the hair is just a little farther back and/or down than it should be, so the hair only sticks out on the sides. ( In this thread, scroll down a ways until you see the render of the mad scientist in the white lab coat: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/36489/P75/ ). Perhaps you can find a way to do something similar with a normal hair product.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Also, if you make a DForm set where two Dform areas are just to the right and left of the center of the forehead of a figure, make the Dfrom effect the hair only and reduce scale, you can get a convincing widow's peak effect for an only slightly receding hairline that comes with age on most of the male figures where the hair style has bangs that go up and back.

• shanteshante Posts: 206
    edited December 1969

I have no skills in creating morphs or modeling so I have had to be really creative with whatever resources i find or buy that come close to what i might need. For this look I have used a medium length fluffy or messy hair and pulled it down past the crown of the head so the top if the head is thinner and the skull shows through. If the hair has a good transmapping it looks pretty good.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited February 2014

About a year ago, I created a middle-age-approaching-elderly character for a project. I just re-opened the character file to find out what hair I had used.

Unfortunately, I built the character in Poser (no surprise there; I build the huge majority of my characters in Poser, then import them into DS to construct the scene), and I used dynamic hair on him because, like you, I couldn't find a semi-bald hairstyle figure or prop.

I remember a site that had a monk character, that included the 'tonsure' - that bald-on-top with the Moe-from-the-Three-Stooges look around the perimeter. Would something like that work for you? (I'm pretty sure I bookmarked the site; I'll certainly look for it!)

EDIT: Found it! http://jalberts.net/francemi/3dSC/medieval.htm (The link you'd follow from this page is 'Friar Mike', it links to a ZIP file that contains the content.)

Post edited by Ken OBanion on
  • nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Darkseal has "Male patterned baldness" prop hair for M4 at both Renderotica and Content Paradise. Three different hair styles. I've been able to scale it to fit other characters.