Landscape / Terrain Maker

I have many wonderful ideas for various landscape type settings, but am very limited by the inability to generate my own land in Daz. Could we please get a basic landscape builder feature? 

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

carrara can do this. You would need to add basic modeling capabilities to DS for this, and from what i have read in various threads, that isn't likely to happen.

Your best bet is to find a program that can create the needed terrain and then export it in OBJ format and then into DS.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2019

Actually you can do a LOT inside DS IMO. Start by creating a high poly primitive plane. After that there are several ways to go, using dFormers, using a push modifyer weight map, using mcasual's free script that generates height morphs from grayscale images you can make yourself in PS or GIMP, using dForce to drape the plane over primitives and then creating a morph from the draped shape, to name a few...

That's the easy part. The hard work is making textures/finding shaders to get the desired look;)

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/mcjelevate

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

You can do this in Bryce or Carrara (both of which are often available very cheap) and then import into DS. There's a free MJElevate script somewhere that can, in Daz Studio, convert grayscale maps into elevation.

The real trick with all of this is shading; getting a shape is easy, but you would probably want to get this to turn it into something interesting:

https://www.daz3d.com/muelsfell-multilayer-iray-terrain-shader

Heh, Sven was there before me. Doh.

I bought World Creator, which looked awesome and does amazing things. And then, much to my annoyance... again, it all falls down when bringing across to Daz, because I still need to come up with really good shaders for it.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,182

Another option is ofcourse Terradome 3 (Terradome 1 & 2 are for Poser, and barely work or totally don't work within Daz Studio).

Keep in mind that for things like trees, pretty skies, buildings, etcetera, you'd still have to add stuff from other products. It's a pretty awesome product, and there are a lot of addons for even more landscape styles (morphs, textures, HDRIs). But, it's still just the barebones land.
    The Nature category and its subcategories Plants and Landscapes do have a ton of stuff to fill out an environment. Sometimes as special packs, like, a pack with half a dozen different trees, other times there's ready to go environments with a lot of props which you could borrow for your own environment.

For cityscapes, there are several sets of "cityblocks" in a few settings/styles, which you can assemble to make your own custom city. It takes a bit of effort, and they're not always suitable for streetlevel shots, but generally very useful for backgrounds.

• As mentioned above, Terradome 3 is a good option. Sounds to me like the original post is describing Infinito. I don't own it so cannot test it, but it looks like it is supposed to be a fairly freeform terrain maker right within Daz Stduio. Unfortunately, it also looks like it is an earlier product that hasn't been updated lately. Might not play so nicely with the current versions of DS or be high enough resolution for today's standards. Still, paired with Muelsfell Multilayer Iray Terrain Shader, which Oso mentions, it might be capable of producing some good results. Anyone able to test these products together?

https://www.daz3d.com/infinito-1-0

https://www.daz3d.com/muelsfell-multilayer-iray-terrain-shader

Tim

I've been intrigued by Infinito for a long time, but at this point I'm basically waiting for either a new version or a cutting edge similar thing made by someone else.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,182

Alessandro has mentioned several times that he's slowly but steadily working on Infinito 2. Here's one still hoping it'll see daylight sometime soon. :)

• I have Terradome but it doesnt offer what I want, even if I were to just buy the content. I really want to be able to create my own landscapes.