"Coke-Bottle" Glasses

Just a small accessory item that could be fun. A set of THICK eye glasses that distort the wearers eyes like a magnifying glass.
I trired playing with the material settings, but my understanding is that the shape needs to be correct to work properly.

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

The problem is the lack of volumetric rendering, I believe. I don't think that IRAY has the capability to create a glass like materials that distorts things like a lens would. (I could be wrong, I am no expert.

A work around would be to get glasses and then make the eyes literally bigger with a morph. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    RKane_1 said:

Can The problem is the lack of volumetric rendering, I believe. I don't think that IRAY has the capability to create a glass like materials that distorts things like a lens would. (I could be wrong, I am no expert.

A work around would be to get glasses and then make the eyes literally bigger with a morph. :)

Does DS have no way to change the refraction index?

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

You'd need to apply a dformer to the lens and change the shape/thickness of it. Once you do that, refraction works fine.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,436

You might find this thread of interest: How to make refractive glasses in Iray?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957
    edited December 2019
    RKane_1 said:

The problem is the lack of volumetric rendering, I believe. I don't think that IRAY has the capability to create a glass like materials that distorts things like a lens would. (I could be wrong, I am no expert.

Uh, that's not remotely true. Iray totally has volumetric rendering. You just need to define a realistic shape, then you can set how refractive it is (weight) and what IOR it has. You can also color the volume in various ways, including a flat tint (refraction color), SSS, and transmission color (which increases intensity from edge to a certain depth into the substance).

What Iray lacks is a way to make nonlinear or adjustable volume effects, to get 'wispy edges' that other renderers might have.

It's actually FAR easier to make, say, a murky milky/silty fluid in Iray than it is in 3DL.

Post edited by Oso3D on

Since you're here Oso3D, do you know if Iray does volumetric distortion (I don't know what the correct term is, but those heat vapors you see on a distant road or coming out of a jet engine)? I've tried everything I can think of with Iray, but haven't had any luck.

Nothing obvious, but I wonder ... normally IOR doesn't take a map but my OMS1 shader sets ior on two layers.

I need to fix something in OMS1 soon so once I poke at it I can try this.

This is based on my assumption that what you'd want is a graduation of ior over the surface.

Yes, I just want a small area where there's some distortion and it fades out gradually. Here's a render where I faked it using a disc in front of the camera, but I'd like the real thing if possible. Maybe I'll give it another try one of these days.

shuttlestar vanguard flight.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 847K
    edited December 2019

Ok, here's a test that worked pretty well. One layer is basically invisible (IOR 1), the other uses Refraction Roughness to create the blurring effect (very handy for thin refractive surfaces)

First shows where the effect is, second is all purty like.

(A simple plane with OMS1 shader on it)

(Placed plant behind so you can see the effect better)

Mask.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 252K
    Firey.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 584K
    Post edited by Oso3D on

Yeah, that looks good. I think mine is pretty much the same thing, but I used discs and parented them to the camera so I could move it where I need it. It's a pain to set up, but I think it makes things more realistic without having to do post work.

This is the setup I used for the pic above.

distortion_test.jpg
    1490 x 840 - 205K
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    Oso3D said:
    RKane_1 said:

Uh, that's not remotely true. Iray totally has volumetric rendering. You just need to define a realistic shape, then you can set how refractive it is (weight) and what IOR it has. You can also color the volume in various ways, including a flat tint (refraction color), SSS, and transmission color (which increases intensity from edge to a certain depth into the substance).

What Iray lacks is a way to make nonlinear or adjustable volume effects, to get 'wispy edges' that other renderers might have.

It's actually FAR easier to make, say, a murky milky/silty fluid in Iray than it is in 3DL.

I gladly stand corrected by someone with superior knowledge. Thank you for the info, Oso. ;)
  • vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,654

pbateman28 said:

Just a small accessory item that could be fun. A set of THICK eye glasses that distort the wearers eyes like a magnifying glass.
    I trired playing with the material settings, but my understanding is that the shape needs to be correct to work properly.

Try the Felton puppet glasses. You just need to hide the black dots in the center. Otherwise they look just like this, and they distort the eyes big time. Especially the closer they are to the eyes, as in Z Trans -1.

https://www.daz3d.com/felton-the-puppet-for-genesis-8-male

The glasses were designed for the puppet obviously, so you may have to change the scale a bit if you fit them to a Gen 8 Character.

popup5_4_54.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 585K